Backgrounds

6 replies to this topic
  • Tom14911

Posted December 04, 2001 - 06:34 PM

OK, whats the easiest and best way to put backgrounds, (or numbers) on.

I know you guys will have some ideas that I haven't tried.

Tom

• Gassin'_Gerhard

Posted December 04, 2001 - 10:44 PM

On flat number plates, they're a piece of cake. On the YZ/WR Thumpers it's a real PITA.

I've got it down though. Here's what you gotta do:

1) First off get a good heat gun - not a blow dryer.
2) Buy the biggest backgrounds you can get. I think they're somewhere around 17"X11".
3) Get a spray bottle and fill it with water and a little bit of liquid soap.
4) Get a little rubber squeagie.
5) Get a good exacto knife, some scissors and a grease pencil.
6) Have a can of contact cleaner on hand.
7) Clean the number plate of any scum that may be present.
8)Cut an inch and a half strip off of the end of the background.
9) Spray some of the soapy water on the strip and the number plate.
10) Starting on the lower rear part of the hand hole, stick the strip on and work it around the inside part of the hole until you get all the way around. This is kind of a bitch, but the soapy water will let you peal it back to reposition it if need be. You want the strip to overlap onto the inside of the plate about a half an inch.
11) Turn on the heat gun and heat up the inside part of the strip until it gets soft so you can stretch it and pull it over the inside edge and stick it to the inside of the number plate.
12) Heat the other side of the strip on the side of the number plate you normally see and stretch it so that it's smooth. Spray more soapy water on if you need to and use the squeagie to get rid of any bubbles. Don't worry about any tiny bubbles left over as you can prick them with a needle and use the heat to get rid of them.
13) Now, grab the big ass sheet of background and spray it with soapy water and position it so that the middle of it sits on the middle of the number plate.
14) Use the squeagie and the heat gun to stretch the background and get rid of any bubbles. Be careful not to overheat/overstretch the background so that you don't tear a hole in it. Respray with soapy water and reposition if needed. Eventually, you'll be able to cover the entire number plate without having to fold or cut the background.
15) Using the exacto knife, cut a straight, horizontal slit in the background in the middle of the hand hold area. Use the heat gun to stretch the background so that it sticks smoothly to the hand hold area.
14) Grab the grease pencil and sharpen it to a point. Mark the background where you need to trim it (I usally leave about a quarter of an inch around the edges), then use the exacto knife to trim the edges of the background.
15) Spray some contact cleaner on the number plate to get rid of any left over muck from the adhesive and the grease pencil.

You can basically do the same thing with the numbers.

• Mr_Toyz

Posted December 05, 2001 - 06:44 AM

Take a bath with your plastic! Seriously, pour a hot bath, through your plastic and the graphic in and go to work. You'll find you can remove the graphic as many times as you need to to get it straight.

Good Luck!

Mr T

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzernie

Posted December 05, 2001 - 07:39 AM

Originally posted by Mr Toyz:
Take a bath with your plastic! Seriously, pour a hot bath, through your plastic and the graphic in and go to work.

I have NEVER thought of my bike as a water toy but.....!!!!!!!!

Ernie

• MOmilkman

Posted December 05, 2001 - 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Mr Toyz:
Take a bath with your plastic! Seriously, pour a hot bath, through your plastic and the graphic in and go to work. You'll find you can remove the graphic as many times as you need to to get it straight.

Ha ha ha ... are you serious? I have never heard of this before. I guess just one of the many ways to get the job done. I had a girlfeind that told me once if you love your bike so much then why dont you just sleep with it. I called her bluff and went out in the garage and did it one night. But thats another subject for another time....

I just put some backgrounds on last weekend and yes I agree the YZ/WR sidepanels are a real pain. To be honest, there really isnt a good way to do it. The #1 thing you need: PATIENCE

Now if you have some of that then fold about one inch of the top back and lay it down on the clean sidepanel. Now that you have it lined up, pull back another inch and push all the air out from under it as you go. The further you get down the sidepanel the harder it gets without putting wrinkles in it. This is where I use a hairdryer. Heat it up a little and take your time and work them out.

Trust me, when you get done they will not look perfect. But if you do go slow and do the best you can you wont have enough flaws in it to notice from a couple feet away.

Oh, and if you do decide to use a hairdryer, it will stretch the vinyl a bit so you will have to trim off a bit with a pocketknife. :D :) :D

• Guy

Posted December 05, 2001 - 11:54 AM

:D As above but also have plenty of other smaller stickers to hand to cover up the inevitable elephants AR*E the you manage to create on the exhaust (sorry muffler) side as that is a PIG! :)

• Gassin'_Gerhard

Posted December 08, 2001 - 04:54 PM

I've got both of my side panel backgrounds on without any wrinkles or bubbles, handles and all.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.