XR650R Reliability

9 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted September 19, 2006 - 04:30 PM

We talk about reliability if we leave it stock, but if we go uncorked, exhaust tip, air box, air cleaner, jetting, manifold, etc do we effect long term life of motor and the reliability? Based I what I know, I can see this bike my last dirt bike, and I am stoked it is dual sport, or titled. Should it last my lifetime at 45?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 19, 2006 - 05:41 PM

We talk about reliability if we leave it stock, but if we go uncorked, exhaust tip, air box, air cleaner, jetting, manifold, etc do we effect long term life of motor and the reliability? Based I what I know, I can see this bike my last dirt bike, and I am stoked it is dual sport, or titled. Should it last my lifetime at 45?

Uncorking includes all of what you listed. All those things are called uncorking the bike. If anything they will make the bike last longer because it can breath and runs cooler. Longevity does not get effected till you start changing out the cam and putting a big bore kit on it.

• BWB63

Posted September 19, 2006 - 06:50 PM

The bike will last much longer uncorked! :thumbsup: Corked it is to lean, will run hot but, then again if you leave it corked you will get tired of it's lack of power, park it and never ride it.....I guess then it will last forever. I think the only reason that a bike that is bored, with a cam doesn't last as long as a bike that is just uncorked, is because when you crash you are going so much faster that the bike breaks into lots of little pieces! :lame: I know lots of bike that run the Baja races and the 680cc bikes last just as long as stock engine. One and a half maybe two seasons and then they are gone through to make everything race ready. The 680cc cylinders look just as good as the stock...maybe better. The valve train is much better on the 680cc bike but, they have better valve ( S/S ). I hear of more Motard bikes have trouble with the piston rod but, I think that has to do with the traction of the street.

• captb

Posted September 19, 2006 - 08:55 PM

Jet it right, run good oil and keep it changed, gear it tall if you want to cruise at freeway speeds and it should last a long time.

• Iggy1

Posted September 20, 2006 - 02:31 PM

I have a 2000 XR650R uncorked and street plated. I have just over 101,000 kms on it but it has never been raced. If you change the oil and filter and clean the air filter it should last a long time. It also depends on the type of riding you do as with anything else I suspect. I just got back from a 4000kms ride, see it under, Canada, NS,NFLD,LAB,QUE,NB, It is mostly known as Lab Loop. I didn't think twice at taking this bike up north with the kms that I have on it. It is the best bike Honda ever built hands down for reliability in my mind. No engine work done yet, only add ons. Thinking about an over haul only because I plan to ride from Cape Breton NS to the Yukon all the way to the south tip of North America then back on an angle back toward Nova Scotia next summer, with the same guys I rode the Lab Loop with.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MindBlower

Posted September 20, 2006 - 05:16 PM

The bike will last much longer uncorked! :thumbsup: Corked it is to lean, will run hot but, then again if you leave it corked you will get tired of it's lack of power, park it and never ride it....

Some of you guys really crack me up. A STOCK 650R has more power than 99% of dirt bikes out there. It is plenty capable of scaring the beejeezus out of a considerable number of riders, myself included. Bone stock. :lame:

• BWB63

Posted September 20, 2006 - 08:21 PM

My bike puts out more then 70% more horsepower then a stock bike to the ground and 30% more horse power then an uncorked bike to the ground; I use 100% of that power and at times I do I wish I had just a little more, in certain spots. To each their own. :thumbsup:

Some never take there bike off the ground and others look to bust 70' table tops. There are a lot of guys that have bikes putting 46~48hp to the ground, and didn't settle for the 34hp a stock bike puts out. We have had lots of bike on the dyno and that is all a stock XR650R will give you to the ground, with lots of torque.

Stock bike 34rwhp
Uncorked bike 44rwhp
uncorked, header/muffler/pumper carburetor 46~48rwhp
Tricked out HRC 50~52rwhp
680cc bike with all the stuff, 58+rwhp

• Max Power

Posted September 21, 2006 - 05:56 PM

Who knows for sure? Maybe you will have a big jammer in 5 years.

Got any pics of your bike?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 21, 2006 - 09:49 PM

Some of you guys really crack me up. A STOCK 650R has more power than 99% of dirt bikes out there. It is plenty capable of scaring the beejeezus out of a considerable number of riders, myself included. Bone stock. :thumbsup:

Bone stock, as in uncorked, mine could hardly run. It may have had some power, but it was hidden behind a lot of sputtering and popping. The combination of all the corks really make it less than a satisfying ride stock. The smog pump as I recall caused most of the grief. It was the last item to go and instantly made all the other mods work once it was gone.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 22, 2006 - 06:57 AM

Some of you guys really crack me up. A STOCK 650R has more power than 99% of dirt bikes out there. It is plenty capable of scaring the beejeezus out of a considerable number of riders, myself included. Bone stock. :thumbsup:

Mindblower, I don't doubt that you enjoy it stock but for the bikes sake I would at least uncork it. That way it will not run as hot and therefore last longer. As a side benefit you will be able to lug it in a gear higher. If your concerned about noise (a wise thing to be concerned about) add a Baja Designs baffle to the HRC end pipe and she will be quiet.

PS
I traded an XR600 in on my first XR650R. After break in I found my new XR650R to only slight out perform my XR600. I was very disappointed and wondered why I traded. After I uncorked the XR650R everything became crystal clear.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.