Street Legal dirt bikes in New Jersey??

30 replies to this topic
  • drivethruecp

Posted September 18, 2006 - 09:19 PM


I just sold my 2003 yz125 to buy a street legal 4-stroke. I am not sure how people made these street legal but have seen wr250 and wr400f's street legal in NJ. I'd really like to stick with Yamaha...but could go with most others as well. I want something in the 250-450cc range. I was wondering about a few I came across just to start it off...a 98 KTM 300 ex/c, Honda XR400R, please post of any known bikes at all besides the DR's and others that look like that. I am 5' 10" and 140lbs to give you an idea. I want it as a dirtbike, but just want the street legal factor. I can't really spend over $3000 at the I'm really looking for something in the $2000-$2500 price range. I really want a Husqvarna TE and have for a long time...but simply can't afford it. Any input on models and years, besides new ones would be greatly appritiated! Thanks!

  • sperduton

Posted September 19, 2006 - 11:19 AM


It's not going to happen, even if you bought a off road bike that was already titled, you won't be able to register it (even if it was registered before) NJ started new laws this year.
Your only choice if you need a legal bike is to buy a facotry produced street legal bike, like a DR or DRZ or older xr250l.

  • drivethruecp

Posted September 20, 2006 - 12:34 PM


Thanks! Do you know of any other models at all? I found a 2000 XR400R, would that be street legal? All it would need is turn signals and the plate bracket... I called and the guy and asked if he'd check the title later on tonight when he got home to see what it road use, etc.

  • racermx66

Posted September 20, 2006 - 05:42 PM


Unfortunately NJ changed the laws. You can't register a dirt bike anymore. I went with a Husky TE.

  • drivethruecp

Posted September 21, 2006 - 11:19 AM


I'm gonna go with a KLX250S, KLX400SR, XR400L, or a DRZ400. These are are the models I have come up with so far besides the new Huskys and KTM's. As for a comparison and my needs i'm all ears. I'd be doing 10% street/ 90% Dirt. But if it was decent on the road could drive to work occasionally or to a friends. Any thoughts or other model recommendations?

  • Sundog

Posted September 21, 2006 - 11:34 AM


What about buying an already plated bike out of state and bringing it in?

  • drivethruecp

Posted September 21, 2006 - 11:51 AM


NJ has been revoking those plated bikes as said by someone in the beginning of this tread. Otherwise i'd do the at in a heart beat.

  • racermx66

Posted September 21, 2006 - 04:02 PM


Your best bet is to get a bike that is street legal from the factory to avoid any confusion. I don't know why anyone would buy a dirt bike in this state unless you plan on putting it in the living room as a piece of furniture. A plated bike gets you a lot more riding areas. N.J. Blows! :thumbsup:

  • drivethruecp

Posted September 21, 2006 - 06:52 PM


hahah, yeh....all of the awesome places I used to ride have been shut down and have signs with $1000 fines.... LAME!

  • MotoChris521

Posted September 22, 2006 - 04:39 AM


Looks like your only choise IS a DRZ 400 S !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drivethruecp

Posted September 22, 2006 - 12:51 PM


you've got that the only problem is finding one! PLEASE LET ME KNOW if you know of any for sale in NJ, PA, NY area! I have been searching in and the want ad every single day... : /

  • stiksandstones

Posted September 22, 2006 - 07:12 PM


Glad to know cali plated sweet bikes are as hard to find...I have been looking all the seller papers, no hits yet.

  • BASSic

Posted September 26, 2006 - 11:03 AM


NJ sucks. I left California last year and moved to NJ, and when it comes to motorcycles California is actually better (except for emissions, but nothing a few modifications won't take care of).

I know of very few places to ride in NJ. At least in California there were plenty of riding areas.

The one nice thing about NJ is that PA is close by, and it's a much friendlier state toward motorcyclists. I have family in PA only two hours away with hundreds of miles of trails and a hare scrambles track nearby (and two hours is still less than it used to take me to get to some riding places, like Ocotillo Wells)

  • JoeDints

Posted September 26, 2006 - 01:12 PM


I'm gonna go with a KLX250S, KLX400SR, XR400L, or a DRZ400. These are are the models I have come up with so far besides the new Huskys and KTM's. As for a comparison and my needs i'm all ears. I'd be doing 10% street/ 90% Dirt. But if it was decent on the road could drive to work occasionally or to a friends. Any thoughts or other model recommendations?

No such thing as a XR400L, at least in the USA, Xr400 are not DOT legal, there is a XRL250.

  • WebGringo

Posted September 27, 2006 - 06:09 AM


I dig the DR 400 Z , was trying one out in mexico , and that little thing colud hang on a lot bigger bikes when it started turning.
Had a buddy doing dirtbike adventure tours and he as a guide was riding one of those.

  • JoeDints

Posted September 27, 2006 - 07:18 AM


Actually I believe if your buy a pre 05 bike that has been titled and registred in NJ, not from another state, you can transfer the title and register it. If you are looking at new you options right now are... Yamaha xt225, Kawi KLx250s klr 650 , Suzuki dr200 drz400s & dr650 Honda XR650L and the 06 HUsky 4 strokes... Soon the 07 KTM 4 strokes and later the rumored to be the KLx450 feul injected 4 stroke that will follow the 450 off road racer to be out in 08... and don't forget all the cheap copies of the late 70's early 80 hondas coming out of China..

  • drivethruecp

Posted September 27, 2006 - 07:48 PM


I'm going to have to go to my original plan and just save for the 06/ 07 Husqvarna TE250 or TE450. They're just so much money after you add up all of the taxes/ assy. charges/ etc. And theres waiting theres no way your getting a break on the price. Unless I find a DRZ400 under 3000... I'm gonna keep saving for the Husky. Or if I'm real lucky I'll find a used 06 for sale.

  • Augmach5

Posted September 28, 2006 - 08:31 PM


Dont feel bad, Washington sucks just as bad as NJ.

Cant plate anything out here. :thumbsup:

  • sperduton

Posted September 29, 2006 - 02:20 PM


maybe there's a loophole, but according to the DMV website, it does not matter if it's an out of state title or within state, you still need to provide the following:

To title or register your motorcycle, visit an MVC Agency with one of the following:
Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MSO or MCO)
New Jersey or out-of-state title
Registration and a notarized bill-of-sale from the previous owner with vehicle description and sale price (motorcycles from non-titled states only)
You must also provide:
A color photo of the NHTSA label
A color photo of the EPA Noise Emissions label**
A color photo of the EPA Exhaust Emissions label**
A color photo of the side of the motorcycle
Proof of insurance and pay the title and registration fee
** Only motorcycles that are under 50CCs and model year 2005 or older do not require the two EPA labels or photographs.

Just curious, anyone have any idea where on the bike the labels are for the first 3 pics.

  • philb

Posted September 30, 2006 - 07:16 AM


From the NJ MVC website it looks like only new registrations will be affected. If you already have a bike with title and reg. you can renew the reg. online or by phone. They don't require any photos for renews.
Looks like I am keeping my 2004 XR250R with NJ title and registration!


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.