Front Brake

4 replies to this topic
  • sparkyz

Posted September 18, 2006 - 07:36 PM

I'm having trouble with front braking power on my bike. The pedal feel is good (and the lines have been bled), but it seems like the pads don't grab the disk very well. Today I sprayed some carb cleaner on the disk, washed it off with the hose and instanly I had amazing brakes, but it only lasted for maybe 8 hard stops. As it wore off the you would hear a bit of noise as you stopped. Tried it again with the same results. After doing this the power is better than where it started, but nowhere near where it should be. Is there a better method for cleaning your brake parts??? Also the pads have plenty of thickness left on them. Thanks for any help.

• PK

Posted September 18, 2006 - 09:02 PM

If your disc was contaminated, chances are your pads are too. When you replace them, be aware that are different types of pads. The ones that really grab, metallic, will wear quicker and can cause more wear on your disc as well. Buy a good quality pad, semi metallic is a good compromise for most. Clean your disc again before installing new pads. Also, no matter how much you clean old pads, the crud is inbedded in the pad and the only way to really fix it is to get rid of them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2006 - 07:56 AM

If your disc was contaminated, chances are your pads are too. When you replace them, be aware that are different types of pads. The ones that really grab, metallic, will wear quicker and can cause more wear on your disc as well. Buy a good quality pad, semi metallic is a good compromise for most. Clean your disc again before installing new pads. Also, no matter how much you clean old pads, the crud is inbedded in the pad and the only way to really fix it is to get rid of them.

That's my opinion as well. If you had a brake side fork seal go bad, washed it with the wrong soap (whatever that is) or did something else, it sounds as if the pads have absorbed something that is interfering with their operation. When you clean it off the surface, it cures the problem until more migrates to the top again.

Brake pads aren't expensive enough, IMO, to warrant the nuisance of trying to decontaminate them, but if you insist, you can put them in a controlled heat source, like an oven or a gas grill with a reliable thermometer (protect them from the flames) and bake them for a half hour at 350-400 degrees, you can sometimes get lucky. Otherwise, go with PK's suggestions.

• SurvivorMan

Posted September 19, 2006 - 08:42 AM

have you ever noticed the grains left on your brand new rotor, or I guess you could say texture? Once your rotors are well used they get shined up and don't cut the pad material anymore, so therefore are weaker for breaking power. Take a belt sander or grinder to your rotor as well as the brake pads. Sometimes the pads get glazed and this will take off the glaze. This will not help if your pads are contaminated though.
Also, brake fluid should be pumped out and replaced every couple of months. I am not a fluid expert, but there's something to do with the fluid turning to water and then will turn the brake lever into smething mushy. I think if it is exposed to air or humid air when you pop the cap, the small amount of moisture slowly deteriorates the fluid.
Sharp front brakes are so nice!! so hard to maintain!!

• sparkyz

Posted September 23, 2006 - 05:22 PM

To update you guys on my brakes. I got them working better by replacing the pads, and cleaning the rotor with some greased lightning. I ended up going with some EBC composite pads. How much of a difference is there switching to a full metal pad?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.