06 yz450.. fmf Q or white bros E2 ???

14 replies to this topic
  • afmracer

Posted September 18, 2006 - 06:49 PM

i just got my 06 yz450f its fantastic but its really loud.
i plan on doing a bunch of weekends in california where they enforce a 96db limit.

ive been looking at the white brothers e2 slipon and the fmf q slipon.
i think i like the option of removing the baffle on the white brothers.

im interested in input on both pipes

is ther any other slipons i should be looking at?

thx Quinn

• TapptOut

Posted September 18, 2006 - 07:13 PM

Yoshimura TRC Comp Series is a very good slip-on also and it comes in Carbon Fiber!
I run the E2 though, and i love it. The sounds difference is incredible. The removable end cap is also a big plus.

• bhiggins25

Posted September 18, 2006 - 07:21 PM

If you're going to go aftermarket, you can't go wrong with the E2.

I ride an '04 w/ an E2 on it, and w/ the smallest insert, that bike is QUIET. Way quieter than my '01 w/ the stock exhaust. I can't determine what the effect on the power is - the bike has a Boyeson quickshot, power nows, and is jetted perfectly, so it rips!

I also can't get over how much I enjoy riding a quieter bike on the trails. Seriously. I also like the way the E2 looks. And, it's super easy to change the end caps. Takes like five seconds. It's got my vote.

• afmracer

Posted September 18, 2006 - 08:13 PM

ok... two votes for the e2...

• motobark

Posted September 18, 2006 - 09:43 PM

I'm not a fan of the E2 for one reason, the basic design. They use the "restrict the outlet until it passes the sound test" theory of muffler design. I've built quite a few mufflers myself and I've found that restricting the outlet down to the point that it will pass a 96db test results in just too much power loss. I heard this one plenty of times, "the power seems just as strong between my stock pipe and x brand 96db pipe". Yeah right. I don't care what anyone says, NO 96db pipe is going to make as much power as a wide open pipe.

Check out the insides of the Q, it's very different from the E2. The way it looks to me is they've tried to get the exhaust pulses to bounce around in the end cap at around the same rpm that the sound tests are run at. That means it doesn't sound (and run) like it's got a cork stuffed in the end of the pipe. I also like the idea of a Krizman (what's in the Q2 and TiQ) spark arrestor rather than the screen or Sparky type (what's in most others). A Krizman tends to break up the sound wave in addition to being a spark arrestor.

Check out this thread,

http://www.thumperta...d=1#post3727537

Hope it helps. If power is a big deal for you, I think the Q is the best compromise in 96db pipes. If weight is a big deal for you, get the TiQ.

• lastchild

Posted September 18, 2006 - 11:36 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the Jardine RT5 pipe that Ty Davis uses?

• TapptOut

Posted September 19, 2006 - 06:40 AM

If you're going to go aftermarket, you can't go wrong with the E2.

I ride an '04 w/ an E2 on it, and w/ the smallest insert, that bike is QUIET. Way quieter than my '01 w/ the stock exhaust. I can't determine what the effect on the power is - the bike has a Boyeson quickshot, power nows, and is jetted perfectly, so it rips!

I also can't get over how much I enjoy riding a quieter bike on the trails. Seriously. I also like the way the E2 looks. And, it's super easy to change the end caps. Takes like five seconds. It's got my vote.

What did you do to your stock jetting? And are the boyseen quickshots, and power nows worth the money?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • afmracer

Posted September 19, 2006 - 07:26 AM

im told by some people that i trust that the quick shot is worth the money

• SurvivorMan

Posted September 19, 2006 - 08:31 AM

quickshot is worth it.
I am selling my Q2 if you are interested. Only has 2 months on it, it's in excellent shape. it sound tested at 96 dbs.

• Chrome Speedo

Posted September 19, 2006 - 09:00 AM

I have both pipes. The Q produces better power, hands down.
Jetting changes required for both mostly on the low end, needle and pilot. My '06 YZ would barely run with the stock JD settings and the Q. Dropped the pilot 1 and it goes like a rapped ape if you have ever seen one of those.

The only advantage to the E2 is the flexibility with the endcap but the stock exhaust is way better than the open E2.

• moochie

Posted September 19, 2006 - 12:03 PM

I have both pipes. The Q produces better power, hands down.
Jetting changes required for both mostly on the low end, needle and pilot. My '06 YZ would barely run with the stock JD settings and the Q. Dropped the pilot 1 and it goes like a rapped ape if you have ever seen one of those.

The only advantage to the E2 is the flexibility with the endcap but the stock exhaust is way better than the open E2.

Thanks for that feedback chrome speedo...I only have the Q2 and figured it would be a fairly biased point to tell anyone to pick it over the E2 since I've never even tried an E2. I'm running slightly leaner than stock and I feel the Q2 runs as strong as the stock muffler even though it's quite a bit quieter.

• Chrome Speedo

Posted September 19, 2006 - 12:41 PM

Forgot to mention that my Q is a Ti version.
Good - looks, weight, power.
Bad - price, stupid FMF strap-on like bracket. I feel like a biatch with that thing. Why can't they just make a real mount on these things?

• skipperlantz

Posted September 19, 2006 - 04:40 PM

I have buddies with each of these pipes. The q2 is quieter for sure. I just put a LeoVince X3 on my o6 yzf and it is as queit as the q2 but I havn't ridden it to give you a performance report, I got the pipe today. As soon as I ride I will let you know. This pipe was also cheaper than both the others. It mounted perfectly and has a clean look. A little long but it seems most pipes look long on these new Yamahas.

• machweezy

Posted September 19, 2006 - 06:22 PM

I just ordered an fmf titanium powercore muffler for 269.99. It has a removable spark and quiet insert available. Seemed like a good deal? Bought from wholesalemx.com

• afmracer

Posted September 19, 2006 - 07:07 PM

I ENDED UP WITH THE E2 caps sorry...
it took 3 min. to install and its much quieter
the brushed finish is really cool

ill ride it on saturday
will report back with an update

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.