Powder Coat Question

9 replies to this topic
  • Chrome Speedo

Posted September 18, 2006 - 06:04 PM

Couldn't search tonight. Anyone ever powder coat a steel YZ frame? Anyone ever have any issues with prep work and the oil tank? I was quoted about $250 from a local hot rod shop.

• speddie3

Posted September 18, 2006 - 07:00 PM

a buddy got his honda 400ex quad lime green for 150 at a local shop in chicago, which doesn't do u much good. but 250 sounds kinda steep

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2006 - 08:45 PM

Lots of guys have done this, and lots of them have had trouble with the oil tank being contaminated with sand or glass beads from the blasting prep. Be sure the service provider understands the absolute importance of keeping the tank sealed duringh the entire process.

• whalerboy

Posted September 19, 2006 - 06:11 AM

I had mine done a few years back. Does that $250 include all the prep work? If so that's not too bad a price! Like any paint/coating, it's all in the prep. I ended up sandblasting mine myself. I got some special plugs made for powder coating to plug all the holes for the oil tank before I sandblasted it. Then I washed it all down with brake cleaner and sent it out all sealed up.

You won't be disappointed with the results. 5 years later it still looks great!!

• Chrome Speedo

Posted September 19, 2006 - 08:33 AM

Whalerboy,
Who did the powder coat for you? I was going to take it to a shop in Palmyra. The price was approx. but did include all the prep work. We had a discussion about the oil tank situation. When I put it back together it will be with a brand new (not rebuilt) motor so I am kind of paranoid about this aspect.

Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gcastor

Posted September 19, 2006 - 11:18 AM

Hey Chrome,
The price for your powder coating will vary from coater to coater and the different areas. $250 is a little high, but not surprising. I own a powder coating shop in NH and charge around $200 for a single stage color with all the prep work included on a motorcycle frame. Shop around and ask questions to the powder coaters. Sometimes cheaper is not better if they are just in it for the quick $$$. Hope this helps. Greg

• Chrome Speedo

Posted September 19, 2006 - 11:32 AM

Appreciate the feedback. The quote was on the phone. The shop specializes in car restoration as opposed to production so hopefully that is a plus. Above all else, I am scared to death about the sand in the oils scenario.

• grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2006 - 11:39 AM

Well, you know where all the holes are, right? Two at the bottom of the down tube (one feed, one return), one for the dip stick, and one vent port at the steering head. Be sure they get corked up.

• aedwards07

Posted September 19, 2006 - 11:43 AM

Send your frame to EMBEE.Its out in Cali but well worth the money.I forget who I talked to when I had mine done but it was well worth the extra money.THey are the people who used to do the factory yamaha frames when they were still steel frames.

• mike_dean

Posted September 19, 2006 - 03:52 PM

I powder coated my '00 426, 3 yrs ago, $175, make sure you plug off the oil tank very securely, my plugs leaked when the powder coating was heated,( small amount of heated oil ran out on to frame) and ruined the coating, it had to be re sandblasted ( a real pain) and re coated. If you are sandblasting don't get any sand in the oil tank, and rinse everything out when done. The finish is very durable and looks like new still. Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.