Fork oil, makes me wonder

10 replies to this topic
  • speddie3

Posted September 18, 2006 - 05:51 PM

I had a seal go out on one of my front forks, 01' 426, so I got both seals, dust and oil, new oil and tore it apart. I was shocked to find that the oil inside was horrid looking. The oil seemed to be extremely thick and almost gooey. I could make "strings" of it between my fingers like you would do with grease. I am pretty sure the previous owner never opened them up because I saw absoutly no tool marks on anything. I replaced it with the recomended "01" suspension oil that the book called for. But heres the interesting part, that wasn't why they were leaking, the metal spacer on the inside top of the shock was rusting, alot, and little bits of rust got down in there. I replaced all necesary parts and cleaned the hell out of everything. I decided to take the other shock apart to make sure and sure enough, it was rusting too. I did the same to it and it rode great out at Buffalo Range (Illinois) on friday. No leaks and it made it through all the table tops flawlessly.

Anyone else ever check their fork oil or encountered the same?

My new advice, check your fork oil!!!!!!

• barch88

Posted September 18, 2006 - 06:03 PM

I heard the stuff breaks down pretty bad after awhile, which sounds like what happened to your's.

• GONE1445

Posted September 18, 2006 - 06:26 PM

I know what you are talkin about with the spacers on top of the springs mine had some rust spots on it so I cleaned them up no rust now but they are pitted not bad just a rough surface still work fine tho

I gotta do new seals soon also my oil wasn't that bad but it was pretty thick

I ride the same bike

• speddie3

Posted September 18, 2006 - 06:31 PM

Good to know I am not the only one, And i love my bike. Happy ridding

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2006 - 08:35 PM

Absent any leaks, or other problems, a bike that isn't raced on a weekly basis should have the fork oil changed at least annually.

Fresh fork oil (the good stuff, at least) has anti-oxidation properties that will prevent rusting of the internals.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TheCure

Posted September 19, 2006 - 06:59 AM

Does the 'good stuff' involve Mobil 1 ATF? I've been using that with good results now for about a year.

• grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2006 - 08:18 AM

It has even more anti-oxidant capabilty than fork oil does, and incredible shear resistance and dispersant ("detergent") abilities, too. I used it for a while, but I went back to Maxima 85-150 (01) fork oil. ATF was too heavy for my taste (7wt vs. 5wt)

• Ga426owner

Posted September 19, 2006 - 08:50 AM

You better service that shock asap too!
All mx bikes need fork oil and Shock serviced/ changed at least once a yr or every 6mos depending on how much riding/racing is done...I know some that replace every 15hrs of racing

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted September 19, 2006 - 01:51 PM

mine hasn't been touched :thumbsup:

pretty soon though. i just need the oil.

Question: do i have to take the forks off to fill them with oil?

• grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2006 - 03:10 PM

No, but it's more work to do if you leave them on, IMO, and requires more tools.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 19, 2006 - 04:31 PM

mine hasn't been touched :thumbsup:

pretty soon though. i just need the oil.

take the forks off to clean them thoroughly. I completely disassemble them to clean. There is sediment at the bottom of the forks - I remove the compression valve to clean

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.