Red Boat Ancor!!!

15 replies to this topic
  • 97rm250

Posted September 18, 2006 - 04:43 PM

Hello Fellow riders. I just bought a used 2002 XR650l. Let me start by saying that I raced motocross and supercross and harescrambles and enduros for almost 20 years. I rode only two stroke race bikes. (250's and 500's). I stoped riding about 5 years ago. I started to grt the itch to ride agin so started thinking about what would make me happy? Thought about a big HardlyAbleson. But coudent do it. So next though on/off. "ok" this might work!!!! Not sure about this, so stated looking for a used bike to try it out for a while. Found a great buy on a nice clean 2002 XR650l with low miles. only rode it for a min. in a ally and dident what to thrash it in front of the owner. So I bought it. I am not sorry because its a great deal, but this thing could not win a race aginst a boat ancor.

Should I sell it and buy a ktm 525 exc? Or is there big help in the power dept. Please tell me how and what the gains are for each mod. Also is it worth the end result, or is it easer to ktm????????? :thumbsup: :lame: :p :bonk:

• DGA

Posted September 18, 2006 - 04:50 PM

Personally I would get an XR650R

• captb

Posted September 18, 2006 - 04:54 PM

I opted for the XR650R since I didn't want to dump major bucks in engine mods and weight reduction to try to make the L into a R.

• exaresix

Posted September 18, 2006 - 05:06 PM

I think you have to either love this bike for what it is, or sell it. It is no racer, just an around-town loper that can go off road. I personally like the bike a lot, but light and fast it isn't.

• cubera

Posted September 18, 2006 - 05:23 PM

Great bike for going down to the store to get a six pack:) You should get the big bore KTM or Husky maybe for what you want to do with it. One thing about 650L is that it will be running long after the cranks fall out of the afore mentioned euro bikes.

• pgiinc

Posted September 18, 2006 - 06:47 PM

same thing with me I too just bought an 2007 650L and was looking for more power, I did uncork it and runs much better then stock with Dave's mod
I just picked up a XR650R and will dualsport it and if I get Va plate on itmy end up selling my 650l, will see
Because it a Big red pig
check out my garage

• bajaracer

Posted September 18, 2006 - 06:57 PM

One thing about 650L is that it will be running long after the cranks fall out of the afore mentioned euro bikes.

I have yet to own a bike that I neglected so bad as to have the "Crank fall out",or sieze the lower end. Given the proper maint.,Either one of those Euro bikes will last as long as a Hondawg. So you know, I'm not just saying this because I happen to like KTMs or Huskies rather it's from owning each of the bikes mentioned,including the Hondawg.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted September 19, 2006 - 06:51 AM

I have yet to own a bike that I neglected so bad as to have the "Crank fall out",or sieze the lower end. Given the proper maint.,Either one of those Euro bikes will last as long as a Hondawg. So you know, I'm not just saying this because I happen to like KTMs or Huskies rather it's from owning each of the bikes mentioned,including the Hondawg.

Not a very convincing statement, with all the self-admitted bias in it.

Personally, I do not care what others think about what I ride, never have. I ride for me. But I will say that Honda's XR line has been reliable as the sunrise, and very low maintenance to boot. They don't ask much, but give plenty. Many other lines are maintenace whores.

As for the OP, don't cuss a screwdriver because you were looking for a hammer. Screwdrivers do a very good job at their intended use, which does not include driving nails. Figure out how you're going to use your bike, and what you expect out of it, then pick the model/manufacturer.

A 650L will never be in the same class as any of the following:
motocross
supercross
harescrambles
enduros*
two stroke race bikes

*I s'pose you could ride the L in an enduro...but I wouldn't---it's too heavy, and I am 6'3"/225lbs. I used to ride my 250R in plenty, though. It worked well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ozjock

Posted September 19, 2006 - 07:00 AM

Personally, I do not care what others think about what I ride, never have. I ride for me. But I will say that Honda's XR line has been reliable as the sunrise, and very low maintenance to boot. They don't ask much, but give plenty. Many other lines are maintenace whores.

As for the OP, don't cuss a screwdriver because you were looking for a hammer. Screwdrivers do a very good job at their intended use, which does not include driving nails. Figure out how you're going to use your bike, and what you expect out of it, then pick the model/manufacturer.

motocross
supercross
harescrambles
enduros*
two stroke race bikes

*I s'pose you could ride the L in an enduro...but I wouldn't---it's too heavy, and I am 6'3"/225lbs. I used to ride my 250R in plenty, though. It worked well.

WEll said mate :thumbsup:

• Newxrowner

Posted September 19, 2006 - 11:04 AM

Not sure what you were looking for, but it sounds like you're looking for a race bike. You're first clue that the 650L is NOT a race bike is the electric start, passenger pegs, steel gas tank, registration/license plate....etc....

• ghoti

Posted September 19, 2006 - 12:15 PM

Hello Fellow riders. I just bought a used 2002 XR650l. Let me start by saying that I raced motocross and supercross and harescrambles and enduros for almost 20 years. I rode only two stroke race bikes. (250's and 500's). I stoped riding about 5 years ago. I started to grt the itch to ride agin so started thinking about what would make me happy? Thought about a big HardlyAbleson. But coudent do it. So next though on/off. "ok" this might work!!!! Not sure about this, so stated looking for a used bike to try it out for a while. Found a great buy on a nice clean 2002 XR650l with low miles. only rode it for a min. in a ally and dident what to thrash it in front of the owner. So I bought it. I am not sorry because its a great deal, but this thing could not win a race aginst a boat ancor.

Should I sell it and buy a ktm 525 exc? Or is there big help in the power dept. Please tell me how and what the gains are for each mod. Also is it worth the end result, or is it easer to ktm????????? :thumbsup: :lame: :p :bonk:

You don't say what you want to do with the bike, but offhand while the L is heavy for the dirt, it is often too light for the highway. A dual sport is a compromise somewhere. You need to decide where you would like the bias to be. The L is close to 50/50, the R is more dirt but really for open, high speed stuff. A 250X would be better in the woods, but I wouldn't want to take it on the highway. I have 21,000 miles on my 04 L with nothing but maintenance, let's hear about some high mileage KTMs.

• bajaracer

Posted September 19, 2006 - 01:23 PM

Wel it looks as though my attempt at humor backfired and hurt the feelings of some. As I stated in the original post, I own AND have owned Hondas,Husky 2 & 4 strokes and KTMs and I still say that a Euro bike will run just as long as a HONDA provided that the owner takes care of it. Now, does this mean that a HONDA is Maint. free ? No. A person may get away with not maintaining a HONDA as much as a KTM but eventually that laxed attitude will rear it's ugly head and then the poor guy is really stuck with a RED BOAT ANCHOR. Like I said before, Having owned a HONDA and various Euro bikes I feel that the statement made was incorrect and if my response rubbed some people the wrong way, :thumbsup: sorry it wasn't personal.

motocross
supercross
harescrambles
enduros*
two stroke race bikes

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted September 19, 2006 - 01:51 PM

No hard/hurt feelings here...I just repsonded that way since oftentimes on Usenet, etc., there are huge brand battles, etc., that boil down to anything but fact.

It's all good. No worries here. Welcome to the board.

• jamestoo

Posted September 19, 2006 - 02:32 PM

Get Rid buy the XR650R and uncork it you wont regret it

• pigryder

Posted September 19, 2006 - 03:47 PM

Most of you guys know but alot dont so pay attention :lame: "The Honda XR650L is a dualsport bike" its not a enduro bike, its not a motorcross bike, its not a offroad bike, its not a trials bike, its not a sport bike, its deffinetly not a XR650R, dam Im sorry guys but this shit with the R is better than the L has got to stop :thumbsup: Its like comparing a KLR650 to a KX500, I mean really what the hell, they where designed to do two totally different things. Sorry fellas but I cant take this anymore :p

• 97rm250

Posted September 19, 2006 - 04:08 PM

Maybe I shouldent have been so hard on the big girl. What I was hopping to hear, is about how to get some more pony power and which mod is the biggest bang for the buck. I did race for many years but dont plan on racing anymore because I hope to be able to walk when I am 50. Now 44 years old but still like to go fast!!! I think Its a great bike for what it is, but was very shocked that a 650 could be so slooooooow. I am thinking next year trying to street legal a crf 450x or 525 ktm or wr450. The Idea of dirt street is neat in ohio. There are lots of trails to find by the way of the street. : :thumbsup: :lame: e:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.