03 Yz450

4 replies to this topic
  • Indiana

Posted September 18, 2006 - 04:01 AM

Just rode a 03 YZ 450. It was fantastic compared to my DRZ400. I am looking to do some hare scrambles in the Midwest. Any real knocks against this bike? It is priced right. I'm a C level rider and probably can't really ride up to some of the differences you guys are able to see in the newer bikes. I'm also looking for recommendations for tracks within a 2-3 hours or Indy.

BTW if anyone has a YZ 85 for sale let me know.

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2006 - 08:31 AM

The rap on '03 YZ450's is primarily two things:

> The power delivery is awe inspiring, hair-raising, thrilling, arm stretching, and can be a lot of fun, but it's not very useful sometimes, and can be difficult to learn to manage well. This can be alleviated somewhat by the addition of flywheel weight, and I recommend and use a Dr. D 8 ounce 'wheel on mine. Dubach will trade weights with you for no charge (except shipping) until you're happy with it, but I'll tell you right now, there is no downside to using the 8. For a complete cure, you could use a Vortex ignition, and choose a less aggressive timing map.

> Although the bike is not really any heavier than an '04 CRF, it feels much heavier, particularly top heavy, and the steering geometry makes them reluctant to initiate turns with. OTOH, they are a very stable ride, and will track through almost anything in a straight line. There are also things you can do about this issue, but it won't ever be the quick, nimble bike that an '06 is, or a CRF. I go fast on mine, and although I am a lot faster on an '06, I'm faster than some, and slower than others. You can ride the older ones, it's just more work, mostly.

It will be a lot of other things that a CRF isn't, though. Reliable, for one. The durability of the big YZF's is frankly incredible. They're not indestructible, but machinery doesn't come much tougher.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scottbob99

Posted September 18, 2006 - 10:07 AM

I picked up a 03 YZ 450 to race Southwick, that bike is a hole shot Machine!! With 23-27 bikes on the gate I can easily get a top 5 start, and I'm a 37 year old C rider and this is only my fourth year riding and first year at Southwick, the bike is amazingly fast, very stable and I think it corners well, at least at Southwick :thumbsup:

Also, the bike has a FMF Powerbomb header, Factory 4.1 muffler and a JD Jet Kit.

I'm only into the bike for about $3000 and I can easily beat most of the 06's on the track. I wouldn't dare race a Hare Scramble with it unless the course is wide open, that's what my 2 stroke is for, :lame:

Good Luck.

• 642MX

Posted September 18, 2006 - 10:43 AM

Just rode a 03 YZ 450. It was fantastic compared to my DRZ400. I am looking to do some hare scrambles in the Midwest. Any real knocks against this bike? It is priced right. I'm a C level rider and probably can't really ride up to some of the differences you guys are able to see in the newer bikes. I'm also looking for recommendations for tracks within a 2-3 hours or Indy.

BTW if anyone has a YZ 85 for sale let me know.

Welcome to TT. The 03 is a great bike, my boss has one and its a rocket. I personally like my 426 better because of the 5 speed tranny. But there is really nothing wrong with a 4 speed, its just my preference to have 5 gears.

I'm from Evansville, IN. I'm guessing you live in Indianapolis? We normally go to LTM in Casey, IL (actually I was there yesterday) here is there website. LTM website They have a long, national style track and plenty of harescramble loops thru the woods.

• Indiana

Posted September 18, 2006 - 12:37 PM

Guys-

Thanks for the input. I actually felt like the bike had really even usable power. It love how it dug in compared to the two strokes I rode in my early riding life. The bike felt so nimble compared to my DRZ so I guess it all depends upon your perspective. I am definately going to check out the Casey track I have some friends who like it there.
I let you know how it all works out.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.