Aluminum tank for YZ???

26 replies to this topic
  • whalerboy

Posted September 17, 2006 - 07:35 PM

OK, I know this is a long shot, but I had to ask.....

I was watching the outdoor nationals today, and I heard Ping saying that a lot of the guys were running Aluminum tanks. I don't know if he was joking or what! I'd love to get an aluminum tank for my 99 YZ400 supermoto. It would definatly solve all my problems with graphics going crappy and peeling off!!

What are the chances that any of you guys know where I could find one of these (if they exist)? Probably slim to none, and I'm most likely out of luck!!

• jamiehughes

Posted September 17, 2006 - 07:43 PM

most of those factory bikes have custom hand built tanks on them. so you better find a fabricator if you want one.

• whalerboy

Posted September 18, 2006 - 07:35 AM

A guy told me I could find them on rigomoto.it. The only problem is I can't speak a lick of italian!! Damn it!!

• almostinvincible119

Posted September 18, 2006 - 09:35 AM

ok...seriously, why do you need an aluminum tank. if ya think that your radiators get banged up when you go down hard enough, that tank is gonna fold. the plastic one is light, IT FITS YOUR BIKE, and it holds fuel, what more do you want?! K.I.S.S.- Keep it simple, stupid...and thats what the factorys did on the bikes you own, the pros bikes can have a new tank every weekend if thats what they want...you dont have that luxuary. unless you have deep pockets

• whalerboy

Posted September 18, 2006 - 10:34 AM

ok...seriously, why do you need an aluminum tank. if ya think that your radiators get banged up when you go down hard enough, that tank is gonna fold. the plastic one is light, IT FITS YOUR BIKE, and it holds fuel, what more do you want?! K.I.S.S.- Keep it simple, stupid...and thats what the factorys did on the bikes you own, the pros bikes can have a new tank every weekend if thats what they want...you dont have that luxuary. unless you have deep pockets

Well, it's for my street use supermoto, so as far as going down hard, the bike will be the least of my concerns. I checked and pavement is still undefeated! I'm looking to get an aluminum tank so that when I put on the custom graphics I'm having made, they won't yellow and peel off in 6 months, also the DMV here does not allow plastic tanks on motorcycles, so when I'm on the side of the road with the trooper, I'd like to try to have it as legal as possible. I have the money to invest in the tank, it's finding one that has been the problem.

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted September 18, 2006 - 12:59 PM

i saw one at the local track, powder coated a super nice colour, it was trick sh!t :thumbsup:

• SureBlue

Posted September 18, 2006 - 02:15 PM

http://www.rigomoto....aliano/home.htm
RigoMoto has them allright.
Alloy gastank 8 10 13 17 24 lt:
Yamaha YZF/WRF 400-426-450
to specify year and model

lt 8: 415,00€ (iva esclusa)
lt 10-13: 520,00€ (iva esclusa)
lt 17-24: 725,00€ (iva esclusa)

Prices are EUR without tax and shipping.
I wonder how a 450 looks like with a 24 liter tank :thumbsup:
Posted Image

• RCannon

Posted September 18, 2006 - 02:46 PM

A guy told me I could find them on rigomoto.it. The only problem is I can't speak a lick of italian!! Damn it!!

I found a link. http://www.rigomoto....aliano/home.htm

Just learn how to say...SPR 12......and Visa. They can handle it from there.
Most Spanish speaking folks can communicate with someone from Italy. Usually its not too hard to find a spanish speaking person.

• whalerboy

Posted September 18, 2006 - 06:38 PM

Hey, great info guys. I emailed them and got a reply back, IN ENGLISH!! Looks like I'm cruise control from here. Thanks!!!

• Chrome Speedo

Posted September 19, 2006 - 08:39 AM

Whalerboy,
I want to hear about the tank your getting because I might want one and am weeks away from buying a new plastic POS. You could also call Race Tools to ask if they know of any sources for a tank (they are good at that kind of stuff).

What do you think about just getting a quick disconnect fuel line and draining your fuel to keep the graphics looking good? That is my primary plan.

BTW- Metal tanks are required by the manufacturer. NY does not require metal otherwise. Not that you wouldn't get hassled, but you wouldn't be wrong with a plastic tank on the street.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • whalerboy

Posted September 19, 2006 - 09:33 AM

Of all people, my wife, came up with a great idea. I'm just not sure about it's viability. She suggested, rather than buying a whole tank, "why don't you just get a cover that goes over the tank like your blaster has?" Damn her for intelligent ideas! Anybody think that it would be the way to go?

I know the was a company (Hot Tops?) that was making plastic tank skins to go over the tank. From reading old posts on here, it sounds like they did a great job of preventing all the bubbling problems, but they were brittle and would break. Can't find them anywhere online now, probably long gone.

What about getting some made? I could take my tank off after for the winter and take it to somebody to fab up some cover(s) to go over the tank. I wonder if it would be cheaper to go plastic or metal.

Again, the sole purpose of this is to stop the bubbling of the tank graphics on my '99 YZ400F street legal supermoto. Many of you probably think I'm pretty much retarted, and you have a point there. This is my streetbike, and I want it to look GOOD. I want to fix the problem, but if I can do it without spending 500 lira (or whatever), I'm all for it. If I end up having to spend the $$$, I'll do it, but I'd rather spend that money on something more worthwhile......like strippers!

Thoughts??????????

• Butta

Posted September 19, 2006 - 09:46 AM

Try BBR, I once bought a YZ400 that had a BBR tank "cover" that was made just for that reason. Give 'em a try.

• RCannon

Posted September 19, 2006 - 09:53 AM

I wonder if we found someone who was good with aluminum if he might be able to do the cover? That would look damn good.

• Chrome Speedo

Posted September 19, 2006 - 10:54 AM

Why don't you just duct tape a bunch of beer cans onto it? I can work on getting you some (of the beer cans). :thumbsup:

• whalerboy

Posted September 19, 2006 - 10:59 AM

I knew if I waited long enough, somebody would come up with a low cost solution.

I have plently of "raw material" for this project!!! I could put them on with the label out, I could just tell people I'm with the Factory Yamaha Labatt Blue team.

• Chrome Speedo

Posted September 19, 2006 - 11:36 AM

Those new heavy duty bud light bottles would be more durable but are probably harder to work with.

• GreenKLX

Posted September 19, 2006 - 05:53 PM

Why don't you make your own cover out of fiberglass squares and resin? I researched how to make fiberglass subwoofer enclosures a few years ago and it sounded pretty simple, I think the same thing would apply here. You just sand and paint it once it dries. :thumbsup:

• whalerboy

Posted September 20, 2006 - 06:31 AM

Why don't you make your own cover out of fiberglass squares and resin? I researched how to make fiberglass subwoofer enclosures a few years ago and it sounded pretty simple, I think the same thing would apply here. You just sand and paint it once it dries. :thumbsup:

You just gave me a great idea!! What about instead of using fiberglass cloth I used caron fiber? I saw a webiste once where a guy was making his own carbon fiber pieces by putting the carbon fiber over the original and using a bag and a vaccum to form it. Hmmmm I have a lot to think about now.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a nut job. Over the course of three days I've gone from paying anything for an aluminum tank, to now wanting to make my own tank skins on the cheap. :lame:

• whalerboy

Posted September 20, 2006 - 06:35 AM

For what it worth....

Here's that carbon fiber website I was talking about
http://www.webbikewo...torcycle-parts/

• GreenKLX

Posted September 20, 2006 - 10:56 AM

For what it worth....

Here's that carbon fiber website I was talking about
http://www.webbikewo...torcycle-parts/

Sweet, nice link. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.