Gave up on Honda!

8 replies to this topic
  • skipperlantz

Posted September 17, 2006 - 06:13 PM

I went through 2 sets of valves on my 02 crf. Tired of the maintanance so I went back to blue. I had an 00 426 that was bulletproof and am glad to be back on the blue. I bought an 06 YZ450f yesterday at power yamaha in Or. for 5899. It was the cheapest I could find in WA or OR. Maybe a little high but this is one sweet bike. I don't understand the vague steering issues. I slid the forks up and it turns amazingly and handles even better. I'm glad to be riding blue again!

• Ga426owner

Posted September 18, 2006 - 05:11 AM

I went through 2 sets of valves on my 02 crf. Tired of the maintanance so I went back to blue. I had an 00 426 that was bulletproof and am glad to be back on the blue. I bought an 06 YZ450f yesterday at power yamaha in Or. for 5899. It was the cheapest I could find in WA or OR. Maybe a little high but this is one sweet bike. I don't understand the vague steering issues. I slid the forks up and it turns amazingly and handles even better. I'm glad to be riding blue again!

welcome back.....vague steering is a term mags use to complain.....raising the forks will help as well as taller handlebars.

You will not miss the 02 CRF :thumbsup:

• NDC

Posted September 18, 2006 - 05:47 AM

Add me to the list.

After two valve jobs on my CRF250R I said enough is enough. Even though it was running good now, it was like riding a bomb with unknown timer. And I really, really kept up on the maint.

Going to get this 06 today:

Posted Image

Can't wait for the weekend!

• NOMADAK

Posted September 18, 2006 - 07:38 AM

vague steering is a term mags use to complain.....raising the forks will help as well as taller handlebars.

SO TRUE!
Also getting the sag set for your weight (even if that means getting different springs) and getting the proper front tire on the bike for the conditions you are riding makes all the difference in the world. There is no stock bike that is going to fit everyone or work in all conditions perfectly from the factory. The majority of the magazines did a huge injustice to this bike and their readers by selecting other models as best of the year. THERE is NO doubt in my mind which 2006 bike is the best. And yes, I rode them all.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ben_suhard

Posted September 18, 2006 - 07:55 AM

Congrats on the new bikes guys, the blue 06 450 is one nice ride! I'm running my forks flush, I've tried raising them 5mm, but I think it turns well either way. Letting the air out of the forks regularly makes it easier to get a steep head angle in corners when you get on the front brakes and forward on the seat.

• Yamaguy4Life

Posted September 18, 2006 - 08:34 AM

They always come back. Glad to have you back on good equipment. Go team Blue!

• ruralrider

Posted September 18, 2006 - 08:45 AM

yeah ive never owned a honda but it thought that they were dependable with little maitenence but after talking to some racers and a mechanic that say theyve seen some guys goin through at least 1 or 2 honda engines in a season where a yzf rider runs that same engine for much much longer
oh yeah ride blue or YELLOW!! 06 anniversary ed!!!

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2006 - 09:46 AM

I don't understand the vague steering issues. I slid the forks up and it turns amazingly and handles even better.

The "vague steering issue" was real enough to those testers who were too lazy, ignorant, incompetent, or whatever else to experiment with the bike, or make the usual kinds of adjustments that any owner would make to it, and just rode it the way it was delivered.

To start with, they come with a Dunlop 739 on the front. This tire works well on very hard packed surfaces, but poorly on anything looser. If the bike was tested in soils from intermediate/hard to soft, the front would have pushed, slid, and generally misbehaved through no fault of the chassis'.

And, as it turns out, the chassis is very sensitive to rather minor adjustments. It's fussy about head angle and sag in particular, and likes to have 97mm sag in the rear, and the fork tubes to be pulled up 5mm. The difference, even with the right front tire, is amazing, and the bike becomes one of the best cornering MX bikes ever made. Taller bars help by repositioning the rider and giving better feedback. All of this, BTW, was changed in the '07 so that these "field fixes" were incorporated into production.

• skipperlantz

Posted September 18, 2006 - 12:41 PM

I'm 6'2 so I went with a windham bend protaper before I even rode the bike. Nice heigth bar for me, makes standing far more comfortable. Will set the sag before I ride again but I'm already in love.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.