Chain Oil

15 replies to this topic
  • driscollms

Posted September 17, 2006 - 02:35 PM

I picked up my WR450F on Friday :thumbsup: . Looking forward to riding it soon...probably this next weekend.

Any suggestions on chain oil?

Thanks

Mark

• 642MX

Posted September 17, 2006 - 06:02 PM

I normally use WD-40 or whatever is handy. Congrats on the new bike.

• ETP

Posted September 17, 2006 - 06:15 PM

I use to spray anti-sling chain oil or chain wax on my o-ring chains, but now I just spray WD40 on it after cleaning and drying. Seems to work better because I don't have to scrub off the old lube. Haven't noticed any wear problems. Maybe something more protective would be needed if I rode in sticky mud, or clay areas.

• creeky

Posted September 17, 2006 - 06:50 PM

If you use anything sticky, it will just act as a dirt/crud/crap magnet and prematurely wear the chain and sprockets. I use either WD-40 or similar with excellent results.

• bigjohnintexas

Posted September 17, 2006 - 07:03 PM

I use Maxima Chain Wax. Great product that I have used for years. I ride in the woods with creek crossings, mud, and sand and have found this to be my personal favorite. I use Bleach White (tire cleaner) to clean my chain and sprocket and when I clean my bike, and then spray the hell out of the chain after with the chain wax and have had zero o-ring failure and hardly any wear. I highly recommend this stuff(both the tire cleaner and the chain wax). Buy the large can and it will last forever.

I've used WD-40 and thin chain lubes but I don't like the fact that they sling off all over my swing arm and sidecase. Also, after one creek crossing I wonder how effective the thin lubes really are. Enjoy your new bike.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 17, 2006 - 09:03 PM

Spray on chain lube, then kerosene when it gets accumulated with dirt and lube.

Kerosene is recommended in the manual for o-ring chains.

• gregwr450f

Posted September 18, 2006 - 02:02 AM

WD-40 or silicon spray, no mess, no fuss.
You dont' need to lube an o-ring chain, thats why they have "o-rings", they are lubed internally with grease, you just need to give them a quick spray with the above sprays to stop them rusting.
To any of you using lube, just think about this, the contact point between the chain and the sprockets are ....what, 1mm each at best?
when you apply your lube how long do you think those contact points stay lubed for once riding?

I'd say about 2-3 minutes at best.

• WrightCo

Posted September 18, 2006 - 05:26 AM

I believe I read in DirtRider that WD-40 (Water Displacement - 40th try) is a No-No on O-ring chains. It dries out the O-rings too much and shortens the life of the chain. Wd-40 is more of a rust preventer and less of a lubricator.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted September 18, 2006 - 05:35 AM

Silkolene Pro Chain Lube or Maxima Chain "lube" go on clear and dry after a few minutes and do not fling off. WR Dave.

• waynus

Posted September 18, 2006 - 12:17 PM

WD-40 or silicon spray, no mess, no fuss.
You dont' need to lube an o-ring chain, thats why they have "o-rings", they are lubed internally with grease, you just need to give them a quick spray with the above sprays to stop them rusting.
To any of you using lube, just think about this, the contact point between the chain and the sprockets are ....what, 1mm each at best?
when you apply your lube how long do you think those contact points stay lubed for once riding?

I'd say about 2-3 minutes at best.

Good Point Greg, but...
You know that you can turn the rollers with your fingers, these are not lubed inside. I have seen a mates chain where the pins have worn through from the inside of the rollers. Every now and then I like to put something more sucbstantial than WD40, the ideal time being when you know you are going for a wet ride (no dust on the chain)., this usually being Lanox

Wayne

• PfM

Posted September 18, 2006 - 03:27 PM

Almost all of the factory manuals I have specify kerosine for cleaning and plain old oil for lubrication - usually 80wt gear oil.
It smells bad, so I use engine oil.

Cheers

• driscollms

Posted September 20, 2006 - 03:49 PM

Thanks guys for all the replies. I never would have thought to use WD-40. I am an avid bicyclists - road and offroad - we never use WD-40. I will rethink that now.

Does anyone use a citris cleaner then lube? Citris might not be too good for the o rings.

Thanks again,

Mark

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 20, 2006 - 04:22 PM

I've been using Maxima's Chainwax for years with great results.

• Bamster

Posted September 21, 2006 - 04:45 AM

Hasn't this subject been covered

about a million times ?

• Summit

Posted September 21, 2006 - 12:33 PM

I've read the horrors of WD-40 many times as well. I've been using it for years, I'm still using it. Until someone can actually show me a motorcycle chain that failed prematurely from it I'll continue.

• Kmorris

Posted September 23, 2006 - 01:42 PM

I was reading a long term test review in Dirt Bike magazine of the WR450F and they called out expenses for the project. Listed prominently was a replacement 'O' ring chain.

There team had been using WD40 to lube the chain and the 'O' rings failed relatively quickly causing the need for a new chain.

They were making a point about WD40 and 'O' ring chains.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.