Please help me fix a small clicking noise in my front end.

11 replies to this topic
  • kawirider

Posted September 17, 2006 - 05:50 AM

I have a small clicking noise when I compress my front forks. Its not very loud and it doesnt happen every time I push on them either. I know its not anything internal because the suspension guy I took it to said that it was just something loose in the clamps. What is this and how do I fix it?

One other thing. There are two little rubber semicircles on the left side of the motor. On my bike one of them has caved in slightly. Is this a problem?

I am riding and '03 YZ450F

• mxracer206

Posted September 17, 2006 - 05:58 AM

It is most likely the front rotor. The floating design is actually a 2-peice rotor and they will make noise if you hold in the front brake and try to compress the forks.

• yz007f

Posted September 17, 2006 - 07:36 AM

Yep its your front rotor getting loose. Its not a big deal but you will hear it click.

• shockdoc

Posted September 17, 2006 - 03:39 PM

Check your steering bearings too.

• kawirider

Posted September 17, 2006 - 06:46 PM

Is it just getting lose from the hub? I have held the brakes and compressed the forks many many times before without any clicking.

• Fastest1

Posted September 18, 2006 - 05:38 AM

To check and see if it is the brake, push the bike up against a wall without using the brake, compress the fork. Does it still click? If yes, it is something else, if no it is the floating rotor. It is probably not loose on the hub though I would check the bolts anyway. It is the buttons holding the rotor to mounting flange just wearing in to some extent. What did the suspension guy think it was in the clamps?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kawirider

Posted September 18, 2006 - 01:23 PM

yeah the suspension guy thought it was in this bolt just above the steering head bearings but it has started to come back so I dont know.

• Pezman04wrx

Posted February 23, 2007 - 04:42 AM

I had an odd front end clicking/rattle sound on my 04' that took me a while to figure out ... My front number plate had somehow come out of the two alignment points where it mounts at the bottom to the fender ... Don't know how it happened as the darn thing was still bolted in place nice and tight, but they were definately both out of the holes ...

• Baron Von Beard

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:44 AM

I say rotor as well. My Suzuki drove me nuts until I remembered it had a floating rotor on it. :applause:

• BuckHopkins

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:48 AM

Yeah mine did that it was the steering bearings loose, and the front brake rotor still slops around a little.

• bluethundaaaa

Posted February 23, 2007 - 08:16 AM

on the issue of the rubber semi circles on the head caving in I would say its a problem if dirt can get in. I would check it out and make sure that no dirt can get in. If it can it is simple to take the valve cover off and reposition them....and worth the effort in my opinion.

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2007 - 09:30 AM

...Suzuki ...

Gesundheit. :applause:

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.