Jetting experts please look

16 replies to this topic
  • Wheels up

Posted September 17, 2006 - 04:21 AM

I have been riding my 04 XR 650 L for about 6 months since I put a Mikuni Flatslide 38 MM carb on it. Also all the other usual mods have been done.

The bike starts great hot or cold. When I shut it off though it backfires through the exhaust with authority. It's a very loud backfire. I checked the plug and it's a medium brown color. I installed a new plug, fired it up, ran it through the gears wide open a few times and then hauled the plug out. It looks fine.

Why would the bike backfire? Also there is a small flatspot around 1/4 throttle, then it's a beast.

Main Jet: 260
Pilot Jet: 27.5
Needle in middle position

Please help :thumbsup:

• snaggleXR650

Posted September 17, 2006 - 04:52 AM

Hey,
I run a TM40 pumper on my 650R. Those Mikuni's come setup goofy sometimes. Your carb takes the same jets as mine, and that 260 main jet CAN'T be right. Even if you mistyped and it's a 160, that is still WAY too rich. Also, you need to get in and check your needle jet (long brass tube that the main jet screws into, and that the needle goes into), and the needle # itself. Also, there is a small brass air jet in the mouth of the carb intake, see what this is also.

My setup is;

22.5 pilot
1.2 air jet
Y-4 needle jet
9DJY03 needle, 4th clip, or 9DJY04 needle, 3rd clip
140-145 main jet (depending on exhaust pipe)

Other than your hotcam, your 10.25:1 piston and my 10:1 piston, our motors should be jetted within the same ballpark. Of course your smaller bore carb will make a difference...

• Wheels up

Posted September 17, 2006 - 09:52 AM

I am confused. The jets that I have are stamped with 230 through 270 on the main's and 17.5 through 30 on the pilot jet.

Today i tried moving the needle up one notch. It's now 2nd from the bottom. I put in a 20 pilot and kept the 260 main.
I have a 2.0 air bleed in.

Still backfires.

• Wheels up

Posted September 18, 2006 - 01:43 PM

Anyone have any jetting info???

• snaggleXR650

Posted September 18, 2006 - 03:50 PM

Hey,
What needle jet and needle are you using? I'm still confused about those main jets, my genuine Mikuni jets for my TM40 (same carb, bigger bore) are in the low to mid 100 range. For example, I'm running a 140 main on my uncorked 650R, guys with big motor mods run 150 main or less.

Regardless, it sounds like your popping is at less than 1/2 throttle. Your pilot jet needs to be about 22.5 or 25. I'm using a Y-4 needle jet, but was using the richer y-6 needle jet previously. Then your needle, which may be different from mine, who knows. You said you raised your needle, so your needle jet is the last thing to check. It simply unscrews from the bottom of the carb body (within the bowl). The main jet (my main jets are round headed by the way, maybe yours are hex head?) just screws into the end of the needle jet.

• Hare

Posted September 18, 2006 - 05:27 PM

Just to go a different direction and say that you have a leak in the exhaust system.

If the system is sealed then the only gas in the pipe is your burn fuel/air charge, the oxygen is consummed but there still is gas leftover, there is still (and always will be) unburnt fuel in the exhaust gases, if fresh air (oxygen) enters the pipe with the unspent fuel charge then the backfire can occur. Where as i never had this happen on a bike, it definately has in a car.

• Wheels up

Posted September 19, 2006 - 01:23 PM

Hey,

Well I checked for exhaust leaks and couldn't find any. Im sure it's not leaking.

As far as the jets go yes they have a hexed head..... Do any other companies make jets that will fit the Mikuni TM style carb????

Check out SUDCO info
http://www.sudco.com/... My main jets look like 4/042 an the pilot jets look like VM 22/210 .

My jets have a small weird stamping on them also.

• Wheels up

Posted October 28, 2006 - 03:26 PM

Update:

I have installed a 210 main jet and a 25 pilot. The needle is in the middle position. 2.0 air bleed in also.

The bike is running a little better. The plug is a light brown after 4 long Wide open hauls. I really don't know what else to do. It's still not right.

Any help....should I really be down 150-160 range with my main?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted October 30, 2006 - 08:47 AM

Backfiring after shutoff is the result of having the engine turning over after the spark is shut off, and having that explodable cylinder mixture pumped into the hot exhaust where it ignites.

My guess is your idle is a bit high (extra mixture pumped into the exhaust), or maybe your idle mixture is off and you are setting the idle throttle setting high to compensate.

I'm guessing a too-rich idle mixture will tend to backfire more than a too lean one- but that's a guess.

Dave

• Wheels up

Posted October 30, 2006 - 02:53 PM

Yes it gets better with the idle down. That still does not fix my flatspot. The backfire is actually almost gone.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I am almost dead set on a FCR or Edelbrock.

• Wheels up

Posted November 12, 2006 - 12:46 PM

Needle jet Q-4
Needle 6fj41
pilot 25
main 210

The bike still works like crap but plug is ok.

• daddyk

Posted November 12, 2006 - 02:02 PM

For what it's worth the jetting for my TM38-85 from XRS only call for:
Main Jet 250
Piolot Jet 20
Needle Jet 6FJ41-4
Nozzle 389-Q4
Slide 4.0
Thats for low elev.

• BT64

Posted November 12, 2006 - 03:06 PM

250 main 20pilot clip 3rd from top low elev.
240 main 17.5 pilot 3rd from the top std. elev.
put mine on today.

• xr650l bum

Posted November 12, 2006 - 04:59 PM

If you are tired and go with another carb, send it my way and I will try to figure it out!!

• Wheels up

Posted November 13, 2006 - 02:38 PM

For what it's worth the jetting for my TM38-85 from XRS only call for:
Main Jet 250
Piolot Jet 20
Needle Jet 6FJ41-4
Nozzle 389-Q4
Slide 4.0
Thats for low elev.

Hmmmm. That's almost identical to the way it was setup when I bought the carb. I wonder if it was close and i have gone farther from being right????

Maybe this just aint the right carb for me???
Do you guys that posted earlier have piston and cam mods???

• BT64

Posted November 13, 2006 - 03:19 PM

With a cam, piston , bored carb, and pipe, it probobly will have a flat spot. Your first post said it pulled like a beast. Start on the main jet, i say 260, run it full throttle in 3rd hit the kill switch. see how the plug reads . then go from there. The more moded. the engine , the more quirks.

• sam361

Posted November 13, 2006 - 03:28 PM

Hi
Have a 06 YZ450F and its awesome. But at 0 to 1/4 throttle, not so good. If you just twist the throttle hard in nuetral it will die. Is this something i have to put up with? Or can i fix it with jetting.

Sam

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.