XR650R Dual Sport Registration in AZ?

14 replies to this topic
  • Boston Mangler

Posted September 16, 2006 - 04:51 PM

Hey Guys

I am thinking of buying an XR650R, putting a dual sport kit on it and registering it in AZ with a friend but riding it primarly here in San Diego.

Anyone done this care to add any tips and/or tricks, please feel free to PM me or post up here.

Yes, the bike will be ridden in CA, AZ and Baja

Thanks

• azfabguy

Posted September 16, 2006 - 05:54 PM

bare min. brake light, horn (skeaky horn is ok) and left side mirror. all that mine has.

• HawkGT

Posted September 16, 2006 - 08:48 PM

bare min. brake light, horn (skeaky horn is ok) and left side mirror. all that mine has.

That's basically all I have too.

• akuleboat

Posted September 16, 2006 - 10:51 PM

The bike doesnt need any of that to get plated. You just have to tell them that you are going to put it on. However if you get stopped by the PoPo they might ask you for the Horn, Brake light, and License plate light.

• azfabguy

Posted September 16, 2006 - 11:01 PM

that is what i was told too. i just made sure i had the stuff on the bike before i did it.

• Boston Mangler

Posted September 16, 2006 - 11:21 PM

So

Should i be looking at a dealership in AZ to buy this from or could i buy it here local and then fill out all of my paperwork with an AZ address?

The bike will be primarily ridden in CA but i want to plate it in AZ. I am curious on the steps to do this transfer.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

• HawkGT

Posted September 17, 2006 - 08:25 AM

I bought mine in used CA (no CA plate). It shouldn't matter where you get it from or what the title is as far as AZ DMV is concerned.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • justicedone

Posted September 17, 2006 - 08:36 AM

You could always buy a clean, used plated one and have a lot of nice mods already done. I see sweet ones in Cycle Trader all the time. In the 4-5K range, with lots of money invested, Excels,Scotts,Pro-Tapers etc...

• Boston Mangler

Posted September 17, 2006 - 08:51 AM

I bought mine in used CA (no CA plate). It shouldn't matter where you get it from or what the title is as far as AZ DMV is concerned.

Very good to know! Thank you!

• Boston Mangler

Posted September 17, 2006 - 08:53 AM

You could always buy a clean, used plated one and have a lot of nice mods already done. I see sweet ones in Cycle Trader all the time. In the 4-5K range, with lots of money invested, Excels,Scotts,Pro-Tapers etc...

Yes, i thought about that, and that is a good route. However, i am finally at the point in my life where i want/can spoil myself a little! What better way then with a brand new bike! :lame: Had bikes all my life, but never one that was brandy new!

Plus since this will be ridden into some very remote areas, i would have more piece of mind knowing exactly what has been done to the bike during its lifetime and that i was the only person to mess with it! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice!

• azfabguy

Posted September 17, 2006 - 11:10 AM

buy it in az. then you don't have to remove and smog parts

• hill5150

Posted September 17, 2006 - 02:51 PM

All you have to do is take your bike to the AZ DMV, show them your VIN, give them your address to your residence in a emission exempt county (Havasu) and 65.00 later you have a plate and a smile a mile wide..........Bye Bye Po Po.. :thumbsup: ......

• Boston Mangler

Posted September 17, 2006 - 03:21 PM

All you have to do is take your bike to the AZ DMV, show them your VIN, give them your address to your residence in a emission exempt county (Havasu) and 65.00 later you have a plate and a smile a mile wide..........Bye Bye Po Po.. :thumbsup: ......

Nice! But to drive it on the street in CA i would need a registration and an insurance policy in AZ correct?

Thanks

• hill5150

Posted September 17, 2006 - 05:54 PM

You have to show proof of AZ insurance within 30 days, and it will be registered in AZ.Well worth the trouble.

• justicedone

Posted September 17, 2006 - 06:32 PM

Unless you get a local cop who sees your bike all the time and realized you live here and bikes registered elsewhere. They do look for vehicles not complying with Cal DMV and trying to reg' out of state. Its drilled to officers constantly in meetings as a revenue loss to Ca.

I have had friends with cars registered in Mich and Ariz busted for not registering the vehicles in Ca after living here for more than 6mos.

I am just old I guess, I try like hell to avoid situations that can become a pain in the azz hassle...lol

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.