Leaky Rear Brake Caliper/Piston

3 replies to this topic
  • slowxr

Posted September 16, 2006 - 09:21 AM

My rear caliper appears to be leaking. I'm noticing it around the brake piston.

1)Do I replace the dust seal and seal or is there a simple trick I can try?

FYI, not sure if it was a coincidence but I road 150 miles with my wheel/axle not lined up. I noticed this when I got home. Just a coincidence that my piston started leaking?

Any idea's?

• slowxr

Posted September 16, 2006 - 12:02 PM

Any chance the misaligned rotor generated excessive heat which is causing the leak?
I'm hoping if I clean up the piston and realign the tire, the problem with remedy itself.
What's the likelihood of that?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slowxr

Posted September 18, 2006 - 07:34 AM

I cleaned up the caliper and can see a seal pushing out the side of the piston.
Has anyone replaced these seals before. It seems pretty straight forward in the manual. Any thing to be aware of or special tools necessary?

• slowxr

Posted September 28, 2006 - 01:57 PM

For those that are interested.
I replaced oil seal, dust seal and piston.
The manual suggests bleeding complete system of brake fluid. I didn't.
I removed caliper, pulled the piston out by hand, cleaned the inside of caliper with brake cleaner and reassembled with new parts.
The seals looked good to the eye but I did find a metal shaving in the caliper. Maybe that's what caused the leak.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  47 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.