YZ250 or Wr450

21 replies to this topic
  • daledo1313

Posted September 16, 2006 - 08:44 AM

I'm seriously considering getting an 07 YZ250 for racing harescrambles. My TE250f is an awesome bike, no problems, I just want something with a little more power. The YZ250 two stroke intrigues me because of the low weight. I know I would have to do a few things to make it trail friendly. What do you guys think? I was thinking a WR450 or some other 450 fourstroke might be good also, but I really want something light and nimble. Anyone ride both? I know this is the wr450f forum, but I'm interested in your opinion. YZ250 or wr450 for racing harescrambles? I'm 6'2" 205llbs slow Vet C rider getting faster. Thanks.

• Alley Cat

Posted September 16, 2006 - 08:58 AM

I came off a YZ250WR (Aussie model YZ250 with headlight!) when I got my WR450, simply because I wanted another plated bike, and no more YZ250WR's.
I am seriously thinking about going back to one because the 2 strokes are so much more fun and so much lighter. Parts are cheap and there is a million and one things available for them. I say go for it, they are way cheaper to buy and maintenance is very simple to do. I wouldn't mind a YZ285 myself!!!

For pure racing, I would stay clear of the WR and look at the YZ450 if you want a 4 stroke. They are even way lighter than a WR250F!

• Chrome Speedo

Posted September 16, 2006 - 09:14 AM

I have tried nearly everything. Not the WR but the YZ450, 426, and 250f. It really depends on the conditions your riding in. I like the 250f but it lacks the HP of the 2-stroke. For me personally (Vet A HS), I am fastest on a properly set up YZ250 (that includes suspension, flywheel, and steering damper). It can crawl up technical stuff and flat out rip when it needs to. Can't go wrong. Check out the latest Dirt Bike (i think). Randy Hawkins article tested YZ250 vs 450f.

• SteveWR450F

Posted September 16, 2006 - 06:59 PM

I currently ride a WR450. Love the bike - bulletproof motor. But . . . its heavy in the woods after long rides. My next bike will be YZ250 or KTM 250 or 300. I will really miss having the magic button though. Saved my butt a lot of times when stall out or crash on a hill climb. All great bikes but with tradeoffs.

• RC81

Posted September 16, 2006 - 11:21 PM

I have both. You want light and nimble, yz all the way.

• Anchslayer

Posted September 18, 2006 - 04:47 AM

I had both, I like the 450 better but am over 250 pounds so I had the throttle on that 250 pinned all the time. I felt like I was burning it up but it took the abuse just fine. One nice thing about the 450, I can do everything I did on the 250 in 3 gears, it's a nice ride.

• dirt fool

Posted September 18, 2006 - 07:12 AM

i too have both bikes 06 wr450,02 yz250. i love them both. i,m 53 225. both bikes are set for eastern woods riding.you can ride the 250 more aggesive, charge harder. brke better.hit the big wopdee doos easier.the 250 is more of a racer.but i love the 450 when i want to kick it back a notch, or your allday riding pace. plus if you need to jump on the road,the 450 is super fun ,an the 250 sucks . i thought i would sell my 250 after getting the 450, but its still rules in the tight single tracks.dont forget the 450 gets much better mpg,s.

• Anchslayer

Posted September 18, 2006 - 09:46 AM

dirt fool, by better mpg you mean less right? My 450 burns twice the gas my 250 did.

• odonnks

Posted September 18, 2006 - 02:54 PM

I bought a 06 WR450 and armored it for HS racing. In eastern woods it gets heavy when muddy. I'm currently looking at the YZ too.

• 150 Fuelie

Posted September 19, 2006 - 12:25 PM

dirt fool, by better mpg you mean less right? My 450 burns twice the gas my 250 did.

Somethings wrong with your 450. My riding buddy has a 2-smoke 250 and he runs out way before me and we have the same size tanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kmalec

Posted September 19, 2006 - 02:02 PM

Everything he said + you can street legalize to get even more use out of it. You can accomplish so much more on the WR, it's the SUV of the motorcycle. I havent own a bike in 20 some years, just bought the WR450 because I wanted something I could ride to the trails and back. I street legalized it for $600. I had YZ 80,125, 250 before I stopped for twenty years. Dumped this bike th efirst 5 miles cause I thought it was heavy and fast. In 250 miles I have already cut the gray wire, added the after market insert and YZ throttle screw because I out grew the powerband. My buddy is doing wheelie's in third gear and we have one of the most dependable, most versatle bikes out there. Obviously I saying WR450 all the way.

• Alley Cat

Posted September 19, 2006 - 03:16 PM

All great points, but have you tried a late model YZ250 2 smoke? They have a nice broard powerband, have more power stock than a WR450 and weigh 60lbs less. Obviously the WR450 is the more sedate of the two, but even you are looking for more power!

Can you guys register the YZ250 in the states or is that what all the fuss over the green sticker thing is all about?

• daledo1313

Posted September 19, 2006 - 06:57 PM

Basically I want just a harescramble race bike. I'll never ride it on the street.

• RC81

Posted September 19, 2006 - 10:43 PM

All great points, but have you tried a late model YZ250 2 smoke? They have a nice broard powerband, have more power stock than a WR450 and weigh 60lbs less. Obviously the WR450 is the more sedate of the two, but even you are looking for more power!

Can you guys register the YZ250 in the states or is that what all the fuss over the green sticker thing is all about?

California is the only state to have the red/green sticker rules I know of. How it works is any bike 2002 or older gets a green sticker. After that very few bikes qualify although more mfrs. are starting to make ones that do. The YZ would not qualify for one.

• Alley Cat

Posted September 19, 2006 - 11:17 PM

California is the only state to have the red/green sticker rules I know of. How it works is any bike 2002 or older gets a green sticker. After that very few bikes qualify although more mfrs. are starting to make ones that do. The YZ would not qualify for one.

So can you dual sport YZ250 everywhere but California? Or not at all?
Thanks for clearing up the red/green sticker thing for me too! :thumbsup:

• RC81

Posted September 20, 2006 - 10:35 PM

Not too sure about the dual sport thing but most states are more relaxed than Calif.

• Murray Dorward

Posted September 21, 2006 - 10:05 AM

I've had a yz250 with a WR gearbox for the last 5 years now. I run a front sprocket 15T and rear 50T. The yz250 with this set up will go anywhere, from rocks to river beds. I used mine to do the Roof of Africa in Lesotho (next to South Africa). It is very easy to through around and with the lowered gearing climbs rocks easily, but lacks the top end flat out speed of a WR450. The Wr450 on the other hand is great untill you hit the rocks. I have been riding a WR450 - 2005 lately and the four stroke breaking is very hard on your fore arms and will tyier you out quicker untill you get fit enough. When you ride both bikes you will very quickly realise the YZ250 is easier to ride. My advice to you is: if you are riding fast haresrambles that are not too technical go for the WR450. But if you are riding technical stuff go for the YZ250.

If you need anymore info

Send me a reply

Muz
:thumbsup: :p :lame:

• odonnks

Posted September 22, 2006 - 05:07 AM

I agree with Murray.
yesterday I traded the 06 WR450. I loved the bike too but its the same, (or a little less) than my KTM.
As I mentioned earlier I bought it to run northeast hare scrambles. Its real wet, slippery and muddy here. Very heavy after a few laps.
I took a bit of a beating trading a 06 for a 07 YZ250 but I had a bike I knew was holding be back and I essentially would not ride. Easier to move it now than after the Al framed bikes come out.
The YZ is very refreshing. Incredibly light and flickable. I go 175 lbs w/o gear and at 6ft 1in the first thing I noticed was how light this thing is. Even compared to my CRF its very light. Jetting seems real good in the one day of breaking it in. With a FW weight it will be a treat in tight NE HS races.
Dirt Bike did a write-up in the recent issue on the 07 YZ and Barry Hawk's GNCC YZ. A good read.

• odonnks

Posted September 22, 2006 - 05:47 PM

Not meaning to drag this on but today I had a chance to run my test course on th YZ. I ran this same course many times on the 06 WR. Teh only place the WR seemed faster was in 'transfer' type sections that are over 1/8th mile wide open and uphill. But I got to tell you that the YZ was much more nimble in turns, hill climbs, jumps and I even ran a section I made that runs steep thru a old stream bead and up the other side. I would never have made it with the WR. After I made it thru I tried it with my CRF. No way, It wouldn't go. Needless to say, I'm impressed.

• odonnks

Posted September 22, 2006 - 05:48 PM

Not meaning to drag this on but today I had a chance to run my test course on th YZ. I ran this same course many times on the 06 WR. The only place the WR seemed faster was in 'transfer' type sections that are over 1/8th mile wide open and uphill. But I got to tell you that the YZ was much more nimble in turns, hill climbs, jumps and I even ran a section I made that runs steep thru a old stream bed and up the other side. I would never have made it with the WR. After I made it thru I tried it with my CRF. No way, It wouldn't go. Needless to say, I'm impressed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.