07 Limited Edition

46 replies to this topic
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted September 15, 2006 - 07:43 AM

How does it turn???? Did they get out the turning gremelins?

Huh?

• SoZo

Posted September 15, 2006 - 09:04 AM

2006 was a great bike but from my understanding it still did the Yamaha front wheel push in the turns. They way to help this but not totally correct this was to drop the forks a little and set the sag at 97mm not the standard 100. This year they revised the frame which revised the rake and also legthened the rear shock to help with the turning.

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2006 - 09:28 AM

Making the adjustments you mentioned does in fact pretty much completely eliminate any pushing in the turns. The front of an '06 Z450 set up like that is as planted as any MC bike I've ridden in a very long time. The changes to the chassis of the '07 were made with these typical adjustments to the '06 in mind. But even as issued, the '06 is not as prone to push as the earlier models are, nor did it ever tend to come completely unstuck without warning as does a CF, a fault they are rarely knocked for in the press, and certainly not bad enough to be accused of harboring "gremlins". Or maybe the stock 739 front tire is actually a gremlin.

In fact, once set up right, the '06 is one of the most marvelously neutral bikes I can remember riding. High, low, inside, on the rail, oversteer, understeer, it's all up to you. The bike will do whatever you want.

• SoZo

Posted September 15, 2006 - 09:46 AM

Kewl... My 04 250f pushes like a drug dealer... lol I still love it but am very interested in getting a bike with no push when I lay down 7k!

• x2stroker

Posted September 15, 2006 - 10:05 AM

06 Push????

I have an 03 and an 06 YZ450 and IMHO the 06 has no push. Especially in comparison to the 03. In fact, the 06 is the best turning 450 I have ever ridden, in fact it is comparable to my KX 250 and my old RM 250.

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2006 - 10:21 AM

There will never be an MX'er that won't push the front under any circumstance because of the head angle that is required for the suspension to be able to run hard over the outrageously rough surfaces we insist on riding them through until there is something better than telescoping forks to use for the front suspension. If you look at a correctly set up pure flat track bike, or better, a speedway rig, you'll see how the fork should be carried on a bike so that it basically won't push, no matter what, even when the front tire is sliding. At least not on a graded surface. But that kind of steering geometry (head angles around 20 degrees and even less), even if you could make the forks strong enough to stay straight and work through their travel in MX or offroad, would tuck the front on the first good braking bump you found in a corner. It's all a kind of compromise.

The beauty of the newest YZ450's is how well the compromise has been worked out.

• Murray Dorward

Posted September 15, 2006 - 10:27 AM

Lucky bast#$d. Thats just wrong. Sitting in South Africa and Yamaha haven't landed any yet.

Bike looks auwsome

Muz
:thumbsup:

• yzmuddereffer

Posted September 15, 2006 - 11:51 AM

Sorry...I still think they missed the boat BIG TIME by not going with white and red. The white and silver combo does nothing for me at all.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 15, 2006 - 12:17 PM

I don't like the silver on the seat cover. If it was all black it would look better IMO, and what's with Yamis and their crooked ass rear fender? It looks like the subframe is bent from the factory!

that absolutely bugs the crap out of me.....a 7k bike with a bent subframe......glad my 06 was straight.....
I too am not sure about that color...enjoy the bike it will be sweet :thumbsup:

• YZ426F Rider

Posted September 15, 2006 - 12:32 PM

I don't like the silver on the seat cover. If it was all black it would look better IMO, and what's with Yamis and their crooked ass rear fender? It looks like the subframe is bent from the factory!

Nah...they designed it that way. It's an aerodynamic solution to counteract the extra weight of the exhaust system on the right side of the bike. A true marvel of Yamaha engineering prowess. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2006 - 01:11 PM

There's always the chance the fender was left leaning against the side of the crate for a month and it just hasn't had the chance to "unwind" yet.

• kyle450rider

Posted September 15, 2006 - 02:22 PM

Sorry...I still think they missed the boat BIG TIME by not going with white and red. The white and silver combo does nothing for me at all.

I'm with you on this one.The white and red kit that you can buy is the hottest graphic kit i have ever seen! :thumbsup:

• Bryan Bosch

Posted September 15, 2006 - 03:51 PM

what's with Yamis and their crooked ass rear fender? It looks like the subframe is bent from the factory!

Every CRF I've owned is the same damn way... :thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted September 15, 2006 - 06:07 PM

the crooked rear fender does seem to be a YAMAHA trademark. The 03,04, and 05's seem to be about 50/50. Maybe Gray is right...it happens in shipping?

HOWEVER...the two smokes don't have that issue. What gives? :thumbsup:

• yzmuddereffer

Posted September 15, 2006 - 06:31 PM

I'm with you on this one.The white and red kit that you can buy is the hottest graphic kit i have ever seen! :applause:

I guess that my excuse is I owned a 1986 YZ125 and a 1990 YZ250. I know it sounds lame, but if they had put it out in red and white, I would have regretted getting the '06. As it is, I'm good. :thumbsup:

• T H O R

Posted September 15, 2006 - 06:42 PM

Looks nice, I like blue better.

• motokid338

Posted September 15, 2006 - 06:45 PM

I dont know if i would pay more for the white over the blue but it does look pretty nice :thumbsup:

• wishihad1

Posted September 15, 2006 - 07:21 PM

thats darn SIIIIICKKKK

• DPW

Posted September 15, 2006 - 07:46 PM

and what's with Yamis and their crooked ass rear fender? It looks like the subframe is bent from the factory!

My '06 is the same way...

• MAD_POTTER

Posted September 15, 2006 - 07:55 PM

The white, silver, black color scheme is sweet. If the motor were black it would be even better.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.