yz450 to wr450 opinions

13 replies to this topic

Posted September 14, 2006 - 06:20 PM

1) I realize the weight is a big difference, but is it really that bad?
2) Handling and ergo's, is there a big difference? pro's/con's.

I ride mostly single track desert stuff and thinking about the e-start,wide ratio, etc.. and wondering if going to the wr is going to make riding more difficult, close to the same or maybe easier. Looking for some opinions from those who have made the switch.

• CROGGR

Posted September 14, 2006 - 07:25 PM

What year to year are you comparing?

Posted September 14, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Im comparing an 05'.

• Alley Cat

Posted September 14, 2006 - 09:02 PM

Im comparing an 05'.

My two best buddies brought YZ450F's when I got my WR450F.

Is the difference that big? You bet! I take it you got the YZ450, so you already know what it is like. I found the ergo's the same, but the weight difference is huge. The power is lacking on a stock WR450, but that is easy to change with just a decent muffler.

The biggest difference besides the weight is the gearbox. The WR is much more comfortable offroad (but still needs another gear!).

Handling wise, the YZ's kick ass all over the WR's. Stock the WR's suspension is very soft and push quite bad in corners. I love the handling of the YZ's, and my WR's suspension has been modded to be a lot firmer just like the YZ. Making the suspension a lot firmer makes the bike feel a lot lighter and way less doughy.

If you can get over the weight and slower reving motor, the WR is a good bike, but not the best. I would look at a KTM 525exc for what you want to do.

• mjslim

Posted September 14, 2006 - 10:52 PM

I have an 03 WR450, and it's a great bike for open desert, but a bit ponderous IMO if you also like to do any slow, technical single track. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get the YZ, throw on a headlight and put the WR gears in it -there's a sticky in the YZ 450 forum that explains how to do the tranny.
The E-start is nice, but for me the honeymoon is over and I'd rather have a more nimble ride. Plus muscling the rear end of the bike around when you get stuck somewhere can be a bit of a chore if you get yourself in those situations from time to time. Just something to think about if your concerned about the extra weight.

• waynus

Posted September 14, 2006 - 10:54 PM

My two best buddies brought YZ450F's when I got my WR450F.

Is the difference that big? You bet! I take it you got the YZ450, so you already know what it is like. I found the ergo's the same, but the weight difference is huge. The power is lacking on a stock WR450, but that is easy to change with just a decent muffler.

The biggest difference besides the weight is the gearbox. The WR is much more comfortable offroad (but still needs another gear!).

Handling wise, the YZ's kick ass all over the WR's. Stock the WR's suspension is very soft and push quite bad in corners. I love the handling of the YZ's, and my WR's suspension has been modded to be a lot firmer just like the YZ. Making the suspension a lot firmer makes the bike feel a lot lighter and way less doughy.

If you can get over the weight and slower reving motor, the WR is a good bike, but not the best. I would look at a KTM 525exc for what you want to do.

I'm thinking that maybe you'd be happy with a KTM Alley Cat
:thumbsup:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 15, 2006 - 07:28 AM

I have an 03 WR450, and it's a great bike for open desert, but a bit ponderous IMO if you also like to do any slow, technical single track. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get the YZ, throw on a headlight and put the WR gears in it -there's a sticky in the YZ 450 forum that explains how to do the tranny.
The E-start is nice, but for me the honeymoon is over and I'd rather have a more nimble ride. Plus muscling the rear end of the bike around when you get stuck somewhere can be a bit of a chore if you get yourself in those situations from time to time. Just something to think about if your concerned about the extra weight.

:thumbsup: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Amen Brother !

KTM offers wide ratio versions of their bikes, Yamaha should do the same. If only the KTM's were a little cheaper...

I have often wondered where all the extra weight comes from. Looking at the dry weight difference between the bikes, 220 vs 249, its hard to believe that a battery and starter weigh 29lbs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Punisher660

Posted September 15, 2006 - 08:33 AM

Lets give some real world facts -

1. it not just a starter and battery that add weight. When you weigh the headlight and Odom. there is another couple of pounds. The bigger gas tank ads weight, kickstand, rear light, and all the other little odds and ends ad up.

2. that sweet little magic button makes a world of difference when you are in the super technical stuff. Last night I was on some tight single track in the rain. It was so slick that there were areas you absolutely had to push the bike.....having the ability to push the e-start and help drive itself over some obstacle's was priceless - I could have never kick started it from some of the awkward positions I was in

3. Stock the bike is a dog - but its simple to cure....I did the free mods and added the YZ cam.....yes, it revs like the YZ now and has power from the bottom all the way to the top.

4. On last-nights ride, I rode with a CRFX, a CRF, and a YZF - both myself and the CRFX were amazed at how much energy the e-start saved us. The CRf and YZ were glad that someone had a headlight, because the only other way out for them would have been walking.

5. As for the suspension - I never rode the stock suspension. The week I purchased my bike, I dropped it off for the suspension to be set up for me. The guys that did it used a progressive rate spring with additional sub-tanks. I take this thing to the MX tracks all the time and can easily clear the big doubles. The added weight does make it more difficult to do the triples, but I only play ride on the MX tracks anyway.

I notice the weight the most when cornering, or when recovering from a crash. Other than that, its not too bad.

That said, if the e-start isn't that big of a deal to you, then go with a YZ. I do think that many people under-state how nice it really is, especially when your tired. For the guy that said the honeymoon was over....try riding without using it.....if you already do.....try it again and tell me its not the greatest thing to happen to bikes since disk brakes :thumbsup:

• mjslim

Posted September 15, 2006 - 11:22 AM

For the guy that said the honeymoon was over....try riding without using it.....if you already do.....try it again and tell me its not the greatest thing to happen to bikes since disk brakes :applause:

Call me old school, but to me the starter falls into the category of "Foo-Foo". I won't argue that having the E-start is absolutely fabulous in a situation like you described, but how often do you find yourself in those situations? If that's the type of riding you enjoy, then I suppose E-start is worth the penalty in performance, but I'd rather have the lighter weight and agility for the other 99.9% of the time when I'm not bulldogging through the nasty stuff.

As far as riding without it, no problem. The bike starts so easily when jetted properly it's not an issue to me. Can I say I'll never miss it? No, I suppose next time I get stuck on a gnarly hillside I'll wish the button was still there, but 10 minutes later I'll be over it.

There's no right or wrong answer here, it just a matter of which point of view you can relate to the most. Just wanted to give my $.02 to someone else who is concerned about weight.:thumbsup:

• WGP

Posted September 15, 2006 - 12:40 PM

I wish they would make a YR (WR+YZ Model) YZ motor and suspension, 6 speed, YZ rear fender.......Lets throw in EFI too! :thumbsup:

• MountainMax

Posted September 15, 2006 - 02:09 PM

I have the E start and hardly use it, I like it in tight situations but they are far and few. My bike almost ALWAYS starts first kick, warm or cold, so it's no big deal, especially with the auto decompressor, it kicks over so easy, If the yz had 6 gears and wide ratio I would have got one forsure, as my bike has most of the yz mods now, but still feels heavy and cushy

Posted September 15, 2006 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys. It seems like the weight is the biggest complaint here but other than that, looks like the wr can still do the task just as good. I was reading an article a while back where they set the yzf up for off road ( adding guards,skidplate etc..) and stripped the wr down a bit ( lights, odometer,etc..) they were able to get the wr with in 12lbs. Do you think that is possible. Like previously mentioned, there is almost 30lbs between the two. Just curious.

• 1BLUEsky

Posted September 15, 2006 - 06:17 PM

I once read here about someone who removed ALL E start components from the button to the starter they claimed it weighed about 19 lbs altogether. I have an 03 WR and love it.Thatb wasnt always the case but Ive had it about a year and did the free mods along with putting on some different bars to better suit my ergonomics. It is plenty fast and in case you dont know already slide the triple clamps down on the fork about 5 mm or so and it will turn WAY better!!!

Posted September 15, 2006 - 06:59 PM

I wouldn't want to remove the e-start, just the lights and stuff. Even with those removed I could only see it saving 5 or 6 lbs. Probably not even worth the effort.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.