Engine Braking on 06

10 replies to this topic
  • mcnaughb

Posted September 14, 2006 - 11:46 AM

Can anyone comment on the engine braking of the 06 YZ450 as compared to the 06 CRF450?

I'm a two stroke rider thinking of making the switch.

• mummer12

Posted September 14, 2006 - 12:32 PM

I was a 2 stroker and made the switch. Surprised at first at the power but now i cant ride my two stroke efficiently. The engine breaking is too much at first but not like the 426s and 400s. Its cool to use your engine to slow down when going down steep stuff. Plus you can roll real slow and not stall out. I would say the engine breaking is a little more if not the same as a crf450

• Reyndogg

Posted September 14, 2006 - 12:45 PM

With my 06, I haven't experienced any engine breaking [sic] as noted by mummer12 - thank goodness :thumbsup: :applause:

just kidding hehe

• grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2006 - 12:47 PM

Engine braking is your friend. Learn to use it.

• mcnaughb

Posted September 14, 2006 - 01:02 PM

I don't mind a little. I've ridden the CRF450 and that was OK, but I rode a WR450 and the engine braking was unbelieveable...like over the bars kind of crazy.

Does the YZ have less than the WR?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jaycycle

Posted September 14, 2006 - 01:03 PM

But is it bad? It seems like my 250f has alot of enginebraking, its not the most pleasant sound. So the question is, is it bad? It makes me not want to brake as fast...

• mcnaughb

Posted September 14, 2006 - 01:12 PM

Well...coming from the two stroke, yes. Less is more from my perspective. It's just what I'm used to. I suppose I will learn to use it with time.

If it's similar to the CRF, I'd be OK with that.

• INJURY_69

Posted September 14, 2006 - 01:15 PM

CRF and YZF have similar engine braking.

• almostinvincible119

Posted September 14, 2006 - 02:57 PM

To tell the truth, I love the four-stroke power. But I hate the engine braking. Im running the FMF STM slipper clutch and love it. It was about 800 bucks, but was worth it. The rear end doesnt hop over braking bumps and the bike stays more planted. You have to use more clutch out of the corners and in the slow turns, you have to use the clutch comming in. Probably next to suspension, its next in line for mods...(if your a two-stroke rider on a four-stroke)

• BergArabia

Posted September 15, 2006 - 03:35 AM

Engine braking may be your friend if used properly, but for we less experienced riders it can be a bit of a challenge. I mean unless you keep it pinned you are looking at endo's on jumps. I got the broken collar bone to show for it..

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2006 - 07:38 AM

Ah, but if you had learned to ride on a four-stroke in the first place, instead of a leaf blower with wheels, you would know about things like dropping the throttle on a jump lip.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.