Motarding a xr650l

14 replies to this topic
  • tullymars

Posted September 14, 2006 - 06:55 AM

I would like to motard my xr650l,I have seen many done over the last few years,for the most part they have store bought spoked wheels,but a couple years ago I met a guy who used 17" sportbike wheels,set them up himself,and said he saved a bunch of $$$.Has anybody in here done this yet?I have wheels,I have a sportbike front end,and swingarm,I suppose I could change everything,but I'd rather make the wheels work on stock suspenion.Any thoughts? :thumbsup:

• Curvesurfer

Posted September 14, 2006 - 02:09 PM

Everything I've seen about getting sportbike wheels to work on a dirtbike has involved custom machining, typically by skilled folks with home machine shops.

If I were in your shoes I'd sell the sportbike parts lying around then go to motostrano.com. Under "supermoto conversion kits" they have a package specifically for the XR-L.

• justicedone

Posted September 14, 2006 - 06:20 PM

There are members here that have some sick motarded L models. And its pretty tempting, cause I miss my CBR sportbike...but I got my dualsport to play in the dirt, so I am gonna resist going tarded

for now...lol

• Huffa 2

Posted September 14, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Here is a little bit of info .................

http://www.supermotard.co.nz/ttr.html
http://www.supermoto...echnical-en.htm

• snaggleXR650

Posted September 15, 2006 - 06:11 AM

I would also recommend going with bought laced rims/hubs as any and all sport bike stuff will require custom machining and spacers, not to mention you will have to swap all your brake components out for the sport bike brakes. However, if you are real serious about scabbing existing streetbike stuff on you need to talk to a guy named Kubiak. He, and TONS of SM info can be found at http://www.supermotojunkie.com/

• ghoti

Posted September 15, 2006 - 08:46 AM

Everything I've seen about getting sportbike wheels to work on a dirtbike has involved custom machining, typically by skilled folks with home machine shops.

If I were in your shoes I'd sell the sportbike parts lying around then go to motostrano.com. Under "supermoto conversion kits" they have a package specifically for the XR-L.

That's a pretty reasonable price, ($1600.00) for what you get.

• MCCOYBOY

Posted September 16, 2006 - 09:16 AM

Just get the bucanan wheels and spokes and build your own wheels. I did that and had about 700 dollars in a complete set of wheels.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dee_motard

Posted September 17, 2006 - 01:37 PM

I would rather not recommend using the sportbike rims, they're a bit heavy and are getting tired too fast. Look what has happened to my motard just while braking on a straight..
Posted Image

and

Posted Image

the rim was in exellent state, I had 300mm rotor and 4piston caliper brake setup, I had no problems at all but one day it just went to pieces :thumbsup:

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted September 18, 2006 - 07:29 AM

ouch!

that sucks, hope you didnt get hurt.

do you think the oversize rotor overstressed it?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 18, 2006 - 07:42 AM

I would rather not recommend using the sportbike rims, they're a bit heavy and are getting tired too fast. Look what has happened to my motard just while braking on a straight..
Posted Image

and

Posted Image

the rim was in exellent state, I had 300mm rotor and 4piston caliper brake setup, I had no problems at all but one day it just went to pieces :thumbsup:

Dang! Did you do jumps on that thing?

D

• FatFreddiesCat

Posted September 18, 2006 - 12:13 PM

Did you say retard?

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted September 19, 2006 - 04:03 AM

Did you say retard?

The growing number of posts like this is why I have stopped coming here as much as I used to. If you want to make derogatory comments then please keep them in Town Square where they belong so the short bus knows where to find you.

I thought this site was for people who loved bikes and therefore had a level of camaraderie with one another. This type of petty name calling is juvenile and a waste of time to people who are actually interested in learning and trying to have a good time doing it. If you don’t like a specific bike, that’s fine, others probably don’t like whichever type you do and likely don’t for exactly the same reasons that you disagree with their choices. I see someone trying to ask an honest question and this is what they have to put up with? What a joke.

Feel free to flame away, you will just emphasize my point.

• ghoti

Posted September 19, 2006 - 04:50 AM

The growing number of posts like this is why I have stopped coming here as much as I used to. If you want to make derogatory comments then please keep them in Town Square where they belong so the short bus knows where to find you.

I thought this site was for people who loved bikes and therefore had a level of camaraderie with one another. This type of petty name calling is juvenile and a waste of time to people who are actually interested in learning and trying to have a good time doing it. If you don’t like a specific bike, that’s fine, others probably don’t like whichever type you do and likely don’t for exactly the same reasons that you disagree with their choices. I see someone trying to ask an honest question and this is what they have to put up with? What a joke.

Feel free to flame away, you will just emphasize my point.

Does this make you the sadcurmudgeon?

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted September 19, 2006 - 04:56 AM

*L*

nah, not sad. how about... perplexed?

• adam574

Posted September 19, 2006 - 10:20 AM

i did the sportbike wheel thing on my 650r and if i had to do it over again i probably wouldn't. it was a crap load of work, and ended up costing more then i wanted it to. i wanted to do it for super cheap but my inexperience cost me alot of money. if i had to do it again i could probably get away with making the wheels for 200, assuming i already had a set of wheels. plus they aren't easy to swap out. since i gotta change the brake bracket and all that crap and the guards on the rear have to come off to fit the wheel. once i get a free minute on the weekends i am probbaly going to throw them on ebay and see what they wil fetch. if for whatever reason you do try it go with a 4.5 inch wheel not a 5.. the extra width makes it so much more painfull then it needs to be.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.