Drain Plg Drip

5 replies to this topic
  • TARFELE

Posted September 14, 2006 - 04:24 AM

2002 XR650L 1300 miles. Primo Condition.

My drain bolt keeps dripping I have replaced the washer three times with stainless to copper. I have replaced the actual plug. I have torqued it from 17lbs to 25lbs.

Has anyone ever heard of this

• x400r

Posted September 14, 2006 - 05:27 AM

I have only seen it once on my xr400 and that was due to a piece of grit/sand that was on the washer and not allowing it to seal tightly. Sounds like you may have covered that.... :thumbsup:

• TARFELE

Posted September 14, 2006 - 06:39 AM

Yes, I have cleaned it, checked for cracks in the case and everything else I can think of. The only thing that I can figure is that where Honda machined the small half moon recess for the washer to sit in is not even.

I just installed the blue plastic washer so I guess I will know in a few hours.

ANY other ideas?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted September 14, 2006 - 10:12 AM

Try an automotive drain plug washer made of plastic or fiber if the one you are trying now doesn't work. They seal much better than the metal washers. They don't last forever, so you need to replace them every 4 or 5 oil changes.

• TARFELE

Posted September 14, 2006 - 03:55 PM

Try an automotive drain plug washer made of plastic or fiber if the one you are trying now doesn't work. They seal much better than the metal washers. They don't last forever, so you need to replace them every 4 or 5 oil changes.

That is what I installed this morning and it has not dripped all afternoon. The blue plastic automotive is what it was. I also bought the fiber ones.

I will bet that the case was machined crooked and that it why it is leaking but I have never heard of that.

Thanks alot

• captb

Posted September 14, 2006 - 09:04 PM

When all else fails Teflon tape on the threads.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.