Connecting Rod Small End Wear

7 replies to this topic
  • AngryShawn

Posted September 13, 2006 - 10:29 PM

I am finally putting my bike back together with a fresh top end and when I went to replace the piston (with an 11:1 Wiseco), I noted that there was visible wear in the small end of the connecting rod. In two places you can see where the finish has worn through the silver and copper colored layers through to the base metal. The small end diameter is within the service limit and there was no particulate matter in the oil, filter or screen. The wrist pin does not show any significant movement when inserted into the rod.
Has anyone seen this type of wear before and what is the general consensus as to what I should do? Put it back together and ride off into the sunset or spend the $$ on a new rod? :thumbsup:
I'm probably going to give Rob Barmum a call and see what he thinks as well...
Thanks!

• timothypg

Posted September 14, 2006 - 05:18 AM

hey angry. i'am in the same boat. 2 days ago looking at mine, same thing. copper color. within service limit. 6 measurements, avg. # is 0.9467. i took 1500 grit paper and cleaned it up, then a little buffing w/ dremmel and it is all smooth and shiny. xr6r.

• frankstr

Posted September 14, 2006 - 05:20 AM

What bike are you working on ??

As long it's in tolerance of factory specs, It should be good to go.. :applause:

Welcome to TT....You'll find the info here........ :thumbsup:

• snaggleXR650

Posted September 14, 2006 - 06:59 AM

Do it right the first time, or have to spend the extra time and $ to fix it later. I wouldn't take the chance, especially with a high comp piston. Stresses will be much higher than before and ANY weaknesses can/will become problems quickly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted September 14, 2006 - 10:04 AM

I'm guessing that you are talking about a 650R because of the 11:1 compression. As long as it is within spec and it is not rough (galled) it should be OK. The max clearance spec on a 600 is an amazing .003. That is so much the pin can rock back and forth a lot. I would have a hard time putting an engine back together with that much slop. If the slop is very little like you describe, then it's fine. Don't know what the max clearance spec is on a 650R, but I'll guess it is similar. I have seen small end wear, like you see, in every XR/XL that I have ever been into.

• AngryShawn

Posted September 14, 2006 - 11:02 AM

My apologies, the bike is an 01 650R.
The small end is completely smooth, there is absolutely no roughness of any kind, just the change of colors where you can see the silver and copper colored layers are worn away. The stock wrist pin shows no signs of wear either.

• frankstr

Posted September 14, 2006 - 07:04 PM

Angryshawn, Is it possible your just see normal heat treatment colors...
If there is no seize marks and it in tolerence it should be OK

There probably a min. & max. measurement for pin and rod... :thumbsup:

• AngryShawn

Posted September 14, 2006 - 09:08 PM

nope, there is clear wear through the silver and copper colored layers. I spoke with Rob Barmum tonight and he said this was a common problem with older model xrs, to the point where they would bore out the small end and insert a brass bushing. With the 650r though the motor is so stout that he said its really my call. Since I'm not looking to ride the 1000 (unless I hit the lotto) and the small end is within tolerance and baby butt smooth, I'm going to put everything back together and actually go riding :thumbsup:
Thanks everyone for the input!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.