Radiator fans

9 replies to this topic
  • Iforgottowipe

Posted September 13, 2006 - 08:04 PM

Has anyone thought about putting some good sized fans on the radiators? I ride slow when the grandkids come over and have noticed the bike seems to get hot when I do this. By the way I dont just ride slow when the grandkids come over I really am slow all the time.

Im really enjoying this, I wish I had found this place earlier. Too bad there isnt something like this for trials.

• pburke

Posted September 14, 2006 - 06:30 AM

take a look at this thread:

http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=128707

especially on page 5 where the KTM fan gets installed.

I find those fans overpriced, but haven't been able to get a KLR650 fan on ebay for less. Right now I may just go with some cheap ($3-5) 80mm 12V DC computer fans and replace them each time they die. Who knows, they may last quite a while. Long term, I plan to throw in larger radiators and then get a decent fan that won't die after each water crossing.

Peter

• roadcam

Posted September 14, 2006 - 09:31 AM

a friend of mine, stuck a plain computer fan on his KTM450 last year, and its still going strong ... :thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted September 14, 2006 - 09:47 AM

The computer fans are a great idea. They will fail since they are not designed for the conditions on a bike. However they are so cheap that you can just replace them. Normal computer fans are very wimpy. They don't move much air. Larger fans are available. www.allelectronics.com is a great surplus source. Standard computer fans use like .1 of an amp. They have much stronger ones that are .3 or .5 amp or more. More current means more air and they are all like $4. They list the current and the size for all of the fans. Pick one that will fit easily and is strong enough.

You will need DC to run the fans. Just a bridge rectifier and a cap in parallel with the headlight should work if you don't have DC already.

• fjfilips

Posted September 14, 2006 - 12:35 PM

I ended up getting a nicely made fan kit (including thermostat control) in a box of misc XR650R parts. There are no markings to determine origin, but it was nicely designed. It actually mounted four computer fans to the front of the radiator with a mesh grill covering.

Key problem was it used el cheapo fans, which were no longer working. I scoured the internet and have located WATERPROOF computer fans, should be much longer life and weren't too expensive. I just used two fans since four was gross overkill.

Manufacturer is ADDA, part number is AQ0912HB-A70GL(T). You do want to get the high velocity (HB), not MB or LB since they didn't push very much air. The size of these fans is 92x92x25 mm which fit on the front of the radiator quite nicely. Distributer for ADDA is Mouser Electronics (www.mouser.com), they were able to special order a pair for me for around $30. ADDA has a distribution center in Irvine, CA but they only had a couple of these particular fans in stock, so you may have to wait for an overseas shipment.

Have fun,
Frank

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pburke

Posted September 14, 2006 - 04:59 PM

mouser is pretty expensive for fans - specialty electronics source (I buy a lot of stuff there, but I don't buy their fans). www.newegg.com has hundreds of computer fans, all sizes, all rpm levels, cute LEDs on them, etc - and cheap. They are a computer parts mega vendor - that's where you get those cheap.

waterproof computer fans? What kind of computer would need that? I'll have to look for them.

I'll mount just one high-flow fan behind the right side radiator, pulling air through. Should be good enough for those idle at stop light moments. A switch at the handlebar is all it takes. My Vapor trip meter will blink red at me when the water gets too hot anyway, so I don't think I need any automatic setup.

Peter

• Few

Posted September 14, 2006 - 07:10 PM

The computer fans are a great idea. They will fail since they are not designed for the conditions on a bike. However they are so cheap that you can just replace them. Normal computer fans are very wimpy. They don't move much air. Larger fans are available. www.allelectronics.com is a great surplus source. Standard computer fans use like .1 of an amp. They have much stronger ones that are .3 or .5 amp or more. More current means more air and they are all like $4. They list the current and the size for all of the fans. Pick one that will fit easily and is strong enough.

You will need DC to run the fans. Just a bridge rectifier and a cap in parallel with the headlight should work if you don't have DC already.

The Neodymuim Nickel plated rings on that sight are way cool! If you take and stick one over a drain bolt - thats a cheap magnetic drain.
Neo's are pretty powerful mag's. Thank's Cleo!

• Few

Posted September 14, 2006 - 07:11 PM

Dup. sorry.

• Maroast

Posted September 14, 2006 - 08:27 PM

My Vapor trip meter will blink red at me when the water gets too hot anyway, so I don't think I need any automatic setup. Peter

How hot do you have the warning set to? how hot is too hot for this bike?(H2O that is)
Thanks

• pburke

Posted September 15, 2006 - 06:39 AM

How hot do you have the warning set to? how hot is too hot for this bike?(H2O that is)
Thanks

there are two lights - I have programmed it to trigger yellow at 200 degrees, red at 220. How much is too hot? I have no idea, but I think once it hits the 240 it is getting close to trouble. The bike usually runs at 160-170 on an 80 degree days when it's moving along. I run engine ice and suspect my thermostat is stuck open, but I am not gonna touch that until I replace the radiators with the Fluidynes.

Peter

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.