'06 vs '07...is there $1000 difference?

18 replies to this topic
  • lastchild

Posted September 13, 2006 - 04:32 PM

Here's my question...I can get either one, an '06 or an '07. The '06 is $1000 bucks cheaper than the '07. I keep hearing about the steering being better in '07. But $1000 better? I know the resale on the newer bike will be better, but that $1k buys a lotta parts.
I will only be using the bike for woods and desert, no mx.

Anybody have an opinion?
Is the handling that bad on the 2006 model? Is there an easy cure?

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2006 - 04:42 PM

Read:

http://www.thumperta...845#post3802845

• Wyatt

Posted September 13, 2006 - 05:12 PM

The '06 is a good bike and they aren't making many changes for '07. It is not doubt that the '07 will be better, but the price difference is up to you. If you are keeping it long term, the '06 is probably better. If you get new bikes often, it pays to buy the newest model out there for better resale value.

• CSS9961

Posted September 13, 2006 - 06:07 PM

Have you seen the new WR for '07? Better bike for woods than the YZ, I think. JMO.

I have one on order. Gotta wait until December. I wonder if I will sleep between now and then? :thumbsup:

• yzmuddereffer

Posted September 13, 2006 - 06:40 PM

Have you seen the new WR for '07? Better bike for woods than the YZ, I think. JMO.

I agree totally. A lot of us do it -- and I include myself in that category -- but we buy MX bikes to use as woods bikes because we think they're better overall for some reason. I got a chance to spend a lot of time on an '05 WR last year (300+ miles). It was a great bike for what it was designed to do: conquer the trails. The '07 will be even that much better. I know it's hard for many of us to believe (again, me included), but those Japanese engineers really do know what they're doing when they build this stuff. Funny, ain't it?

The WR a better woods bike than the YZ? For sure!

Dude, that bike will rock! :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:

• lastchild

Posted September 13, 2006 - 08:03 PM

Waaay too heavy.

• yzmuddereffer

Posted September 14, 2006 - 03:57 AM

Ha ha! Oh, I'm sorry, I just assumed that being able to go faster longer was your goal here. I didn't know a number on the spec sheet was more important to you than that. Carry on!

• lastchild

Posted September 14, 2006 - 10:12 AM

No offense but I have quite a bit of experience riding relatively heavy wide-ratio tranny woods bikes. I've owned a number of KTM EXC's and ridden many 450X's and WR450's.
That's not what I'm looking for.
You know what happens when you assume...
And how does a heavier motorcycle make you go faster, longer?
I don't know about you, but 35 lbs(give or take) is quite a bit of weight to me.
I'm not a newb and I'm not looking for an argument. It's been pretty well documented that the YZ450 makes a good woods bike...if I had wanted opinions on the WR I would have asked for them.
I was really just wondering if folks on here thought it would be worth getting the '06 over the '07.
But I've made my decision and my 2007 will be here this weekend.

• mtrdrms

Posted September 14, 2006 - 10:15 AM

I'd pay an extra G for the White one. Soooo Niiiiiice :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motobark

Posted September 14, 2006 - 11:09 AM

The WR a better woods bike than the YZ? For sure!

Waaay too heavy.

If I had a WR sitting in my garage, that's where it would stay, I just wouldn't want to go riding. That doesn't mean it's a bad bike or the wrong bike for a certain kind of riding, it just means that it's the wrong bike FOR ME.

Like lastchild said, you can't assume. The weight issue is a huge deal for me too, I really don't like heavy bikes. And I certainly couldn't go faster, longer on a WR. Same deal with the Rekluse clutches that people ask about, I would never have one in my bikes, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't love one.

The WR's have certainly come a long way, but I'll take a YZ anyday. The YZ's light weight, awesome power and suspension that will take a huge hit or landing without flinching are what keeps me riding. Years ago I almost quit riding because it wasn't fun anymore, I realized it was the bike I had at the time that wasn't fun. I got rid of the bike and the thrill was back.

Back to the original question, remember that there may be (usually are) differences between the current and new models that aren't documented yet in the specs or write-ups. We'll all know the answer in a few months, but I'm not sure anyone knows for sure right now how the '07 is going to stack up against the '06. When I bought my '03 YZ450 the '04's info had just been released. I bought the '03 because it looked like the '04 didn't have much more than the titanium footpegs, big deal. After a few months we all learned the differences in the motor and suspension, especially the forks. I was still happy I bought the '03 because I loved the power, but when I bought it (in June) we really didn't know what the '04 power was going to feel like. And not only did I save a bunch of money on the '03, I was riding it instead of waiting for the new model to hit the stores. How much is that worth to you? (I hate waiting!)

That's all, just my .02

• CSS9961

Posted September 14, 2006 - 11:10 AM

...if I had wanted opinions on the WR I would have asked for them.

Just trying to help you make an informed decision. You didn't say that you HAD looked at the WR, I didn't know if you saw that they changed it. I will try not to bother you anymore. :thumbsup:

• lastchild

Posted September 14, 2006 - 01:14 PM

You were not bothering me...it was the other fellow(yzmuddersomething-or-other) who's sarcasm was unnecessary.

Then again, I can be pretty sarcastic myself.

• SICKM

Posted September 14, 2006 - 01:27 PM

But I've made my decision and my 2007 will be here this weekend.

Where are you getting it from. I want to get an 07 but no one seams to have any yet.

Jamie

• YZ426F Rider

Posted September 14, 2006 - 01:54 PM

I think it's nappy time for a few folks. hee hee

• motobark

Posted September 16, 2006 - 12:32 PM

I just thought of an answer to the original question.

For the same price you could either get an '07 or...

a new '06 and spend the $1k on a Vortex ignition, Scotts damper and whatever color seat, plastics and graphics you want.

I know which one I'd pick.

• ThompsonV311

Posted September 16, 2006 - 12:49 PM

Also factor in the $500-$900 on a new exhaust you will have to put on the 07 since they put a TTR pipe on it. I had the 04' and now have the 06'. That was a major upgrade. But in this case there are a couple quick easy fixes for the steering bugs that can all be taken care of in under an hour. IE: swapping out the front tire, raise the forks. I honestly dont think it will be a night and day difference between the 06 and 07 like it was coming from the 04. At $1000 more, you will not be sorry if you go with the 06'. Besides if you have to have white, you can always buy an Acerbis plastic kit just over $100

• Diode663

Posted September 16, 2006 - 01:44 PM

The WR's have certainly come a long way, but I'll take a YZ anyday. The YZ's light weight, awesome power and suspension that will take a huge hit or landing without flinching are what keeps me riding. Years ago I almost quit riding because it wasn't fun anymore, I realized it was the bike I had at the time that wasn't fun. I got rid of the bike and the thrill was back.

I agree 100% I had a YZ125 and wanted to get out of riding after a while cause it just wasnt fun anymore. I got an 04 450f and it relit my passion for riding. And yes weight is a big factor for me too, with the right valving the yz is the perfect choice for me in the woods.

• motobark

Posted September 16, 2006 - 02:28 PM

I agree 100% I had a YZ125 and wanted to get out of riding after a while cause it just wasnt fun anymore. I got an 04 450f and it relit my passion for riding. And yes weight is a big factor for me too, with the right valving the yz is the perfect choice for me in the woods.

That's pretty funny, mine was also a YZ125 (an '83 I think I paid $1500 for brand new) that was so un-fun to ride I almost quit riding for good.
I bought a new '85 YZ250 and it changed everything, I couldn't ride that thing often enough. At that time the 250 had almost twice the HP at about half the rpm of the 125, Yeehaaaa! Horsepower is my friend!

• lastchild

Posted September 16, 2006 - 02:47 PM

Where are you getting it from. I want to get an 07 but no one seams to have any yet.

Jamie

Bay Area Motorsports has a white on on the floor right now for $7199 OTD.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.