Help with Odd Whistling Noise

11 replies to this topic
  • FrankTheTank

Posted September 13, 2006 - 11:56 AM

So went up to the mountains last weekend to get into a cooler climate. Went from Phoenix (1800' elevation) to just south of flagstaff at about 6800' elevation. I am riding a 06 WR450f with AIS removal kit. I expected a certain amount of bog as i did not change the jetting at all but what was weird was whenever i started to slow down and pull in the clutch i would hear this whistling noise, like air escaping a small hole in the tire would make. It sounded like it was coming from the front of the bike but wearing a helmet can screw with accoustics quite a bit.

Any ideas what this might be? I am going riding this weekend here in PHX as it is finally cooling down a little and will listen for it again but thought I would see if anybody here might have an idea about this.

TIA,

Josh

• FrankTheTank

Posted September 10, 2007 - 01:46 PM

I never got any answers on this so i thought i would give it a bump. Any clues as to what this might be?

• wingnut16

Posted September 10, 2007 - 02:40 PM

I have the same issue. I think, but have to confirmed this, that air some how is making it into the air boot without going through the air filter. The reason I think this is happening is that I have a little dust on the surfaces of my air boot. Do you have a little dust on the surfaces of your air boot? I am working, very slow, on removing my subframe, airbox, and air boot. This is the first and only motorcycle that I have owned that has gotten dust on the air boot side of the airbox. I have used the same oil, grease, and oil tech. for years and I have never had a problem with dirt making by my air filter.

For what its worth, and I will post back if I figure out my whistling.

wingnut16

• electricme

Posted March 17, 2014 - 09:27 AM

I am having this issue... Could it possibly be because of the GYTR AIS removal kit?

It seems like air leaking out of the engine in the front.  Hi Pitched wistle...  I have an 06 WR450  with 378 miles on it.

• DrFeelGood

Posted March 17, 2014 - 11:27 AM

Holy old post revival, batman!!

I don't have the AIS delete kit installed, but I did have the whistle.  Does your bike pop on decal and act like it's running lean?

Mine did.  It was a leak in the AIS line running from the vacuum can on the top of the motor to the port just below the carb on the right side of the engine.

To test the lean condition, pull the hot-start lever while it's running.  Mine didn't run any different when the hot start was pulled.  If yours revs up when pulled, then it's not related.

• mebgardner

Posted March 17, 2014 - 11:37 AM

...and where did you *find* an '06 with less than 400 miles??!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted March 17, 2014 - 11:47 AM

If the sound is similar to a 'bird chirping' it is a normal sound made by the carb. It has a part called a vacuum release plate an it can 'whistle'. More apparent with an opened airbox.

• electricme

Posted March 18, 2014 - 03:58 AM

...and where did you *find* an '06 with less than 400 miles??!

A work mate... he bought it from an owner that very few miles on it and put very few on it himself. Its in perfect shape.  Only paid 2500 hehe

I would call it a Whistle but I guess could be interpreted as a churp.  I will try and catch it on video one day and post it.  Sounds like its coming from the fron of the engine where the GYTR AIS  cap is...   just thought it might be a pressure leak of some sort.

THe bike runs perfect.  def not lean.

Holy old post revival, batman!!

I don't have the AIS delete kit installed, but I did have the whistle.  Does your bike pop on decal and act like it's running lean?

Mine did.  It was a leak in the AIS line running from the vacuum can on the top of the motor to the port just below the carb on the right side of the engine.

To test the lean condition, pull the hot-start lever while it's running.  Mine didn't run any different when the hot start was pulled.  If yours revs up when pulled, then it's not related.

Sorry at least i serached for the problem instead of starting a whole new thread haha.

• DrFeelGood

Posted March 18, 2014 - 10:23 AM

Any chance the Hot-start is leaking?  The plunger is threaded into the top of the carb, and it's made of cheap plastic (easy to strip) and not all that secure.  When I remove my carb I have to be VERY careful around this thing.  In fact, I have to take the top motor mounts off to get my fat fingers in there to tighten it down without stripping it.

When it's running, does it make any performance difference when you pull the hot-start?

• electricme

Posted March 19, 2014 - 03:22 AM

Any chance the Hot-start is leaking?  The plunger is threaded into the top of the carb, and it's made of cheap plastic (easy to strip) and not all that secure.  When I remove my carb I have to be VERY careful around this thing.  In fact, I have to take the top motor mounts off to get my fat fingers in there to tighten it down without stripping it.

When it's running, does it make any performance difference when you pull the hot-start?

The engine revs when I pull the hot start.  that is all.  I havent tried it while riding.

• RMK800

Posted March 19, 2014 - 04:21 AM

Is it coming from your front wheel hub? I had an issue one time where I didn't get the front wheel pinched in really good before tightening the bolts and it whistled a bunch it would come and go but that was my problem.

• electricme

Posted March 19, 2014 - 09:58 AM

Is it coming from your front wheel hub? I had an issue one time where I didn't get the front wheel pinched in really good before tightening the bolts and it whistled a bunch it would come and go but that was my problem.

Nah its def.  a pressure related whistle  and it mostly happens when I come to a stop  and then stops when I start moving again.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.