HELP!!!! Need new CDI box!!!

8 replies to this topic
  • richgiffen

Posted September 12, 2006 - 08:33 AM

My CDI box has gone bad, and I am in desperate need of another one so that I can get back on the road. Does anyone have one, or know where to get one cheap?

• cleonard

Posted September 12, 2006 - 09:56 AM

Are you sure that it is the CDI and not the stator? Not saying that your CDI is not bad, but the stators seem more prone to failure than the CDI.

• XR250rdr

Posted September 12, 2006 - 10:13 AM

ditto...CDIs rarely fail. It is almost always the stator, pickup, or coil.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 12, 2006 - 01:47 PM

ditto...CDIs rarely fail. It is almost always the stator, pickup, or coil.

I think he's got an XRL- CDI failures seem to be more common than stator problems on them.

D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Max Power

Posted September 12, 2006 - 07:04 PM

I think he's got an XRL- CDI failures seem to be more common than stator problems on them.

D

How do you know he has an "L"?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 13, 2006 - 07:37 AM

How do you know he has an "L"?

a) I said 'I think'
:thumbsup: a quick search suggested so
c) I felt a disturbance in the 'Latte Force'

D

• cleonard

Posted September 13, 2006 - 08:39 AM

If I remember correctly, the 650L is not a magneto type ignition. There is no stator coil that provides the high voltage for the ignition. It generates the high voltage from the battery, just like a car electronic ignition.

• rmhrc630

Posted September 13, 2006 - 02:10 PM

If I remember correctly, the 650L is not a magneto type ignition. There is no stator coil that provides the high voltage for the ignition. It generates the high voltage from the battery, just like a car electronic ignition.

Spot on.

There is a stator coil but it provides charging and light duties only - the 650L spark geneartion is DC type and runs off the 12 volt battery. Thus if you were to remove the 650L battery from the bike, ceratas paribas, it would probbaly not run as it needs battery power to fire the ignition up.

I just installed electric start on my 600 and initially had no spark. This was because, as a self generating spark system, the XR600 only generates enough spark from kickstarter. Unfort for me the 650L starter reduction gears did not turn the motor over quickly enough to charge the capacitor in the CDI. I had great spark from the kickstarter but abolutely zero spark when I pushed the button. It was finally traced to the CDI on the XR600 not getting enough "oomph" from the slower engine revolutions from the 650L electric starter.

The solution was to wire in the 650L CDI which as you stated runs off of 12 volts - ie the battery. The 600R however runs no battery and starts on AC power at 60-90volts.

• MCCOYBOY

Posted September 13, 2006 - 03:06 PM

If you need a 650l cdi then I have 1.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.