Fixed Header with Water Only

16 replies to this topic
  • specialk6r

Posted September 11, 2006 - 09:38 PM

I heard of someone on here fixing a dented-in header with water and gave it a try last night, and it worked great.

Mine was dented about half way in at the first bend, and I just filled it with water about 4 inches passed the dent and stuck it in the freezer. A few hours later I'd take it out and let the water melt, then stick it back in again. I did this 4 times and it's now difficult to tell where the big dent was.

The only thing to watch out for is that you keep the flange (thing that bolts to the cylinder) held above the dented area when you stick it in the freezer. This is because as the dent pops out it may not leave the header perfectly round and the flange can be hard to slide over that part of the header.

Give it a try next time.

• gregwr450f

Posted September 11, 2006 - 09:48 PM

you got any before and after pics?

• Bamster

Posted September 12, 2006 - 04:39 AM

I did the same thing last year.
Worked like a charm. :thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 12, 2006 - 07:39 AM

I did it succesfully, three different times with the stock Ti header but each time it took about 3 - 4 cycles of freezing and thawing but it did work good. I'm curious to know if it would work as well on a SS header?

I have yet to dent my SS Power Bomb....... why does Yamaha put that Ti thing on there anyway? If you ride anything like the terrain I ride it gets hot and then the first boulder that hits it it acts like a marshmellow :thumbsup:

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted September 12, 2006 - 08:51 AM

I installed a carbon fiber pipe guard on my bike a couple of years ago. I have NO damage on my header.
Jim

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 12, 2006 - 08:57 AM

That is so cool! Freezing water to expand a pipe... good idea. Do you think it would work on a small ding?

• ARin

Posted September 12, 2006 - 09:42 AM

Get a take-off headpipe from the yfz450 quad.

they are STAINLESS STEEL, and a GOOD DEAL Stronger than the Titanium ones that we have.

That is what i did after beating the snot out of my TI headpipe. it doesnt get super soft when hot, so it doesnt dent easily at all. in fact, i havent had one dent since i switched over.

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 12, 2006 - 10:23 AM

That is so cool! Freezing water to expand a pipe... good idea. Do you think it would work on a small ding?

Probably but not as noticeably as good sized dent....... for a small ding, I don't think it's worth the effort of pulling the header but to each his own :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrDude_1

Posted September 12, 2006 - 10:29 AM

wow, thats a cool idea!

• 450pmp

Posted September 12, 2006 - 10:43 AM

Did you somehow plug the ends? I wouldn't think it would work unless the water was trapped somehow. Other wise when it freezes and expands it would just move down the header tube a bit? Unless the ends freeze before the center...hmmm... :thumbsup:

• rockieman

Posted September 12, 2006 - 12:58 PM

Did you somehow plug the ends? I wouldn't think it would work unless the water was trapped somehow. Other wise when it freezes and expands it would just move down the header tube a bit? Unless the ends freeze before the center...hmmm... :thumbsup:

I took my pipe to Home Depot and used an 1 1/2" PVC plug on the flanged end and a plastic sink stopper on the other end. Both worked great at sealing both ends of the headpipe. You definitely have to seal off both ends...use duct tape to hold everything in place.
A tried and true fix!! :applause:

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 12, 2006 - 02:53 PM

I took my pipe to Home Depot and used an 1 1/2" PVC plug on the flanged end and a plastic sink stopper on the other end. Both worked great at sealing both ends of the headpipe. You definitely have to seal off both ends...use duct tape to hold everything in place.
A tried and true fix!! :thumbsup:

You actually don't have to seal the ends, just fill the dented portion with water a few inches on each side of the dent, (usually in the bend of the pipe). The water starts freezing from the ends and forms it's own plugs, trust me it works........

• ARin

Posted September 12, 2006 - 03:15 PM

doesnt need to be plugged, water expands in ALL Directions when froze.

• specialk6r

Posted September 12, 2006 - 06:33 PM

Just an update: I went to put my header back on today after great results with the freezing water (no plugs neccesary) and the header didn't quite fit. It seems the expanding water very slightly changed the bend in the pipe. Nothing a little elbow grease couldn't fix, but it wasn't as smooth as a perfect new header. If money is an object, I'd still go for it, but just something to keep in mind. It's still a great technique requiring no tools.

• ARin

Posted September 12, 2006 - 08:01 PM

Like i said before, look for a take-off yfz quad headpipe.

I got mine of ebay for 15 bucks or so, and they are tough as nails.

• gregwr450f

Posted September 13, 2006 - 11:52 AM

cost me $10 to have mine repaired.

• specialk6r

Posted September 13, 2006 - 06:05 PM

$10 is a good price for a fix, but why not do just as good of a job for $0 with water? If I were going to spend money it would be on a SS header of a YFZ quad (which your $10 might pay for if you're lucky.)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.