Aussie WR450 on road - comments invited

5 replies to this topic
  • PfM

Posted September 11, 2006 - 05:50 PM

OK guys, I have been lurking in these parts for quite a while - well before I traded my XR400 on a DRZ400SM. Now I am seriously thinking of taking a hosing and going WR. I mostly ride on road, BUT it is a fairly sedate pace. I'll probably even leave the DOT knobbies on - maybe TW301/302 at most.
I find that the DRZ is heavy and I do not make use of the sticky 17" rubber. I miss the light weight and "go anywhere" ability of the XR.
Mostly commuting 50km per day, up to 80kph. No freeway. Some dirt, of course, but not alot.

I am confident that the machine will handle it OK, but my main concern at this point is it's low speed/throttle performance (such as in traffic). I had quite a time sorting out the DRZ and it is supposedly a road bike. Also the temperature in traffic. ? I suppose I could just shut it off if I get stuck.

Encouragement/Discouragement (especially local) appreciated.

Cheers

• flatnacker

Posted September 11, 2006 - 06:27 PM

I miss the light weight and "go anywhere" ability of the XR.

First time ever I think Ive heard 'lightweight' and 'xr' in the same sentence!!! lol :applause:

Ive been dieing to go motard aswell but the WR's gearbox apparently dont fair to well to constant road use-again this is 'internet' opinion and I am yet to hear from someone/read about someone who has actually had a failure due to road riding.

As for low speed performance I cant see why it would be a problem? Seems to work fine in the tight twisty stuff in the bush, and as far as overheating, well again Ive never had a prob and ridden all through summer!! :thumbsup: Could always wack a thermo fan on for cheap piece of mind!!

• PfM

Posted September 11, 2006 - 06:56 PM

First time ever I think Ive heard 'lightweight' and 'xr' in the same sentence!!! lol :thumbsup:

...compared to a DRZ SM, it is !

Thanks for your reply - I agree to your comments on peoples opinions (no disrespect to any fellow TT'ers). I have discovered plenty of high mileage road users during my lurking and not too many failures - that has to weigh more than the "not for road use" sticker on the guard.

Cheers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Crapster

Posted December 08, 2006 - 10:14 PM

I have an 06 wr450 in motard setup here in Aus. They are fine on the road as long as you keep up the oil changes. 500km changes here for me. Dont forget the oil does the gears and the clutch too soo it gets crappy really fast.

Maybe an oil cooler kit would help with that. The gearbox has had a few horror stories told about it but the guys were probably trying to run oil changes like a normal road bike or something equally stupid.

That and using crazy silly engine braking to "back it in" to corners and not having a cush drive or slipper clutch..bah

• Crapster

Posted December 09, 2006 - 02:38 AM

hrmm.. i think this thread was from the 12 of september and not the 9th of December.

silly aus/usa date differences. we go Day/month/year... yanks just get it all crazy wrong

• baha

Posted December 09, 2006 - 12:32 PM

hrmm.. i think this thread was from the 12 of september and not the 9th of December.

silly aus/usa date differences. we go Day/month/year... yanks just get it all crazy wrong

Way to late on this one.

Look at some 650 SM bikes street legal

Yeah I know about the date thing; it's yesterday here:applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.