sticky valve...or something

3 replies to this topic
  • klowens1

Posted September 11, 2006 - 05:03 PM

I have a 98 yz400. The left side intake valve has stripped the cotters on multiple occasions. I can't be sure if the valve is sticking and causing this or if the valve just becomes stuck as a result of being struck by the piston. each time this happens I replace the valve and inspect the cylinder head but can't find any visible defects. Bottom line......stripped cotters, stuck valve, valve bent from piston. Not sure in what order. Please help, this is driving me crazy.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 11, 2006 - 05:59 PM

By "cotters", do you mean the valve "keepers" ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • klowens1

Posted September 11, 2006 - 07:09 PM

yes... the wedge type keepers

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 11, 2006 - 08:58 PM

The forums are good for ideas, its hard for us to actually know for sure.

But i would think once you bend a valve (valve hits piston), the valve is shot, replace the keepers, replace the spring!, and DEFINATELY get a new valve guide installed.

Was this done?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.