Need help finding top dead center

13 replies to this topic
  • XR 650

Posted September 11, 2006 - 01:21 PM

When I look at the flywheel I see three marks on the flywheel turn by :
I
I F
I T (T is horizontal, not vertical)

The clearance are not right when I adjusted at I T. My CD Manual shows the T vertical & seems simple to line up. I'm adjusting the intake .004 & exhaust .005. Can someone explain what I"m doing wrong.

Thanks

• Xr650rhonda

Posted September 11, 2006 - 01:52 PM

When you look inside the spark plug hole is the piston at the top of the cylinder when the pointer is on the "T" ?

• captb

Posted September 11, 2006 - 01:57 PM

It needs to be on T on compression stroke and if you rotate it backwards even the slightest it decompresses (auto decompressor) and adjustments will be wrong the decomp exhaust valve will start to open. Put your finger over the spark plug hole and rotate it you will feel when you are on compression stroke then go slow till tou are on the T if you reverse at all you need to start over compession is every other crankshaft rotation.

• surfnride

Posted September 11, 2006 - 02:00 PM

try spinning the crank around 2 or 3 times. then line up the T with the notch in the sidecase.

• XR4DEZ

Posted September 11, 2006 - 03:01 PM

It's .006 for the intake and .008 on the exhaust for the 650r.

• XR 650

Posted September 11, 2006 - 04:15 PM

Thanks!

I got it finally. (I guess it was kicking back and throwing it off).

• spotsboss

Posted September 12, 2006 - 07:26 AM

XR,

To be sure, try this: www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94861

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Max Power

Posted September 12, 2006 - 07:01 PM

It's .006 for the intake and .008 on the exhaust for the 650r.

How do you know it's an "R"?

• XR4DEZ

Posted September 12, 2006 - 07:19 PM

How do you know it's an "R"?

You're right, I assumed.

• XR 650

Posted September 13, 2006 - 01:02 AM

You're right, I assumed.

It's a L. Forgot to put it in the title.

• ponq

Posted September 13, 2006 - 08:57 AM

It's a L. Forgot to put it in the title.

Another example of why there should be a separate L and R forum.

• underwatersimon

Posted September 13, 2006 - 04:31 PM

It needs to be on T on compression stroke and if you rotate it backwards even the slightest it decompresses (auto decompressor) and adjustments will be wrong the decomp exhaust valve will start to open. Put your finger over the spark plug hole and rotate it you will feel when you are on compression stroke then go slow till tou are on the T if you reverse at all you need to start over compession is every other crankshaft rotation.

This is exactly right, I thought I was stupid the first time I tried this as well.

• icedfusion

Posted September 14, 2006 - 04:35 AM

Excellent Link - printed off and will keep a copy of that gem of advice.

Thanks

ice.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 14, 2006 - 07:36 AM

Another example of why there should be a separate L and R forum.

No, its an example of why it would be convenient for you if there were seperate forums.

D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.