Coolant System Question

4 replies to this topic
  • kskyles

Posted September 11, 2006 - 11:47 AM

Hi all-

I have an 05 WR450 with a strange cooling system mystery. I have to refill my overflow bottle after every ride. I filled my radiators to the specifications in the manual, but I seem to be losing coolant. I haven't noticed any overflow from the radiators or the overflow bottle while riding.

I willl be checking my oil tonight. I am going to put it in a clean pan and let it sit for a couple of hours to see if any of the water seperates from the oil. If i find anything in the oil, I'm sure it's the impeller seal on the engine side. I know the other one is okay because there is no coolant coming from the weep hole. I replaced my impeller and seals in july. I'm thinking I may have put the seal in backwards.

Other than the impellar seal, what else should I check while I'm at it? Where else do you guys see coolant loss?

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 11, 2006 - 06:50 PM

Is the bike getting hot? (Is it possible that you are boiling over?)

It's possible to pinch the overflow tube while installing the seat or perhaps there is a hole in the over flow tube and your not seeing the coolant leak out?

Good luck, over heating bad :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kskyles

Posted September 11, 2006 - 07:46 PM

i'm not overheating.

i haven't noticed any boiling over, but i'll check all the hoses for pinching or restriction.

thanks for the reply.

any other ideas out there??

• RichBaker

Posted September 11, 2006 - 08:51 PM

If it was getting into the water, you'd have a mayonaisse-looking mess on the dipstick and elsewhere...

• kskyles

Posted September 14, 2006 - 05:20 AM

as it turns out, i put both the seals in backwards. :thumbsup:

yes....i'm an amateur.

feel free to insert adjective here : HAHAHA, you're a _______'in fool!

sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself. that mistake cost me about $70 and a couple of hours. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.