WTF It was runnin' great!

7 replies to this topic
  • Dustin_Mabro

Posted September 11, 2006 - 11:02 AM

here is my problem...

My bike was running great the other day but started to act as if it were running out of gas, which it appeared to be. I returned a day later with new gas with the intention of riding and she wouldn't start. She would notion for about a second then die off, and after she would die if i kicked with the decomp lever released she would give off some smoke which i never noticed it doing before. After all the exhaust was clear then and only then would she notion to start again but quickly die.

I'm nervous that it's the exhaust valve or something....but am i just a dummy that needs a needs a new plug and that didn't notice the exhaust before?

• jbrooks26

Posted September 11, 2006 - 11:18 AM

Try a new plug and then if that doesn't do it for you check your valve clearances. Very easy to do, if you don't have a owners manual then I would recommend getting one. Very good information, and the valve clearance check is very simple to do. Hope this helps. You may also want to check the vent tubes for both the tank and the carb. They can clog and keep fuel from being delivered at the proper rate. Could also check the float and needle, maybe they got stuck in the closed position. Just a few things to check.

Josh

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted September 11, 2006 - 11:33 AM

I have just checked my valves maybe....a month ago and haven't ridden it much since then. At that same time it was a fresh plug with the dual electrodes and a nice clean carb. My main concern is the exhaust that seems to be staying in the chamber until i kick the bike with the decomp lever released... :thumbsup:

• x2stroker

Posted September 11, 2006 - 11:38 AM

What year is your bike? I would try the obvious things first, clean air filter, new plug, clean the carb, jets... even though you recently cleaned the carb it doesn't take much to get something clogged in your pilot jet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbrooks26

Posted September 11, 2006 - 11:53 AM

I have just checked my valves maybe....a month ago and haven't ridden it much since then. At that same time it was a fresh plug with the dual electrodes and a nice clean carb. My main concern is the exhaust that seems to be staying in the chamber until i kick the bike with the decomp lever released... :thumbsup:

I agree with x2stroker in that you should check the simple things first. I am a little concerned about you saying you used a dual electrodes. I do know that these bikes can be very picky about the plug you use. I am running a cr8eix in my 02 and don't have any problems with fouling. The stock plug was a cr8e and it was harder to start and would foul on occasion. I would make sure you are using the right plug. Pull the one you have in there and see if it looks fouled. While you have the tank off go ahead and pull the valve cover and check that all valves are operating if you are concerned about the exhaust. Doesn't take long at all to check clearances while you are in there. I know you said you did the valves recently, but I would check them anyway just to be sure.

One other thought, if it is an 03 you could be experiencing a woodruff key problem that was common on these bikes. Throws the timing off enough to make the bike run rough or not at all. Just my 2c, hope this helps.

Josh

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted September 12, 2006 - 04:22 AM

Sorry it's an 01. The plug that i'm using was refered by a two guys at my near by parts store that have the same bike. Alright, looks like i'm gonna be doing plug filter and carb....thanks guys :thumbsup:

• Yamahondaha

Posted September 12, 2006 - 12:13 PM

Sorry it's an 01. The plug that i'm using was refered by a two guys at my near by parts store that have the same bike. Alright, looks like i'm gonna be doing plug filter and carb....thanks guys :applause:

What position was your fuel screw set to? I had mine vibrate out of adjustment before and now use an extended screw with an insulating "O" ring that keeps it from moving... just a thought.

I got the screw from the TT store, works great :thumbsup:

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted September 13, 2006 - 06:43 AM

i made my own extended screw and had it vibrate completely out once in the woods at my house. Went and bought another and later found the lost one!! The lost one needed a new spring so i used one from a clicker pen.

But yah i think my screw position is good, thanks :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.