Splash Guard wear on XR650R

9 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted September 11, 2006 - 06:01 AM

Can anyone tell me if the wear on the splash guard is a sign of improper bike set up, or just normal for the bike? I bought an used 06, and the guard was worn from the chain over an inch deep into it, and the bottom 2 inches or so of the guard was worn off from the "tire" on the right bottom portion if looking from the rear. The chain was loose, so I tightened it up. Then, I replaced the guard and on the first ride "around the nieghborhood", on road cruising only, I noticed the same wear beginning. I just want to make sure I am not over looking anything in the bike's set up.
Give me some imput if you can. Thanks :thumbsup:

• frankstr

Posted September 11, 2006 - 06:11 AM

It seems to be a normal wear pattern...Mine has done the same and I know it's set up and wheel centered just fine...
I actually trimmed mine so it don't look like crap..

• pburke

Posted September 11, 2006 - 08:15 AM

same here - just put on some brand new D606s and they rub so bad that the holes I have in there will only get bigger. Going backwards with the new tires creates a loud cracking sound as the knobs try to tear off the guard.

My chain is set properly but it's so short (previous owner sized it perfectly for 15-45 gearing) that the rear axle has to be right at the first marker in the slider holes. I assume if you have a longer chain you can get the tire away from the splash guard, but since mine is already all torn up, I don't really care until the winter teardown.

A "sock" over the rear shock may be an alternative, but I think there would be a lot of dirt flying past it to carb and other parts I'd rather want to protect. Can't imagine that a new guard would cost too much.

• philipstjohn

Posted September 11, 2006 - 08:28 AM

Thanks... just wanted to make sure. I adjusted and checked everything, and it seemed to want to wear the same on the new guard. I noticed the new guard sat in place between the swingarm and tire, I wonder if you heated and bent it closer to the swingarm, if you would have less wear?

• pburke

Posted September 11, 2006 - 10:41 AM

I think the key is the tire size and location of the rear axle. Move it back 1/2" and most of the wear should be over, but in my case the chain is too short. Since it's a "worn" chain that clearly has been shortened to accomodate the 15-45 gearing, the question comes up - what chain to replace it with? I'll also want to go back to 14-48 gearing and need a longer chain for that.

Peter

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Max Power

Posted September 11, 2006 - 06:19 PM

Can anyone tell me if the wear on the splash guard is a sign of improper bike set up, or just normal for the bike? I bought an used 06, and the guard was worn from the chain over an inch deep into it, and the bottom 2 inches or so of the guard was worn off from the "tire" on the right bottom portion if looking from the rear. The chain was loose, so I tightened it up. Then, I replaced the guard and on the first ride "around the nieghborhood", on road cruising only, I noticed the same wear beginning. I just want to make sure I am not over looking anything in the bike's set up.
Give me some imput if you can. Thanks :thumbsup:

Normal... Keep that chain adjusted.

Posted Image

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 11, 2006 - 09:28 PM

On my last couple of bikes I have zip tied part of a used tube around the back half of the shock spring and eliminated the guard altogether. One of those shock socks does the same thing. Works just fine and there is nothing to rub, but if you ride in mud it may not offer the same protection.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 12, 2006 - 05:01 AM

You really only have a few choices. Add a link to the chain or buy a new chain and cut it a link longer. Or buy several of the mud splash guards so you have a replacement when you need them. Or buy a shorter tire.

They should not wear through as quickly as you have indicated so it sounds like your chain is a bit short for the knobby you have mounted. It is a normal wear pattern but I usually get a year or two of constant riding before I have to replace mine. The picture is a good representation of the way these wear.

• philipstjohn

Posted September 12, 2006 - 07:39 AM

The wear looks simular to the picture, but a little more in the chain area. When I got the bike, the chain was real loose, so this makes sense. It looks like the stock chain, and the bike has had 606's on it from day one, with a heavier rider.

• texsurfer

Posted September 12, 2006 - 10:26 AM

a very loose chain will have more lateral play and bite into it when the rear suspension is compressed. a 650R that i found for a buddy to buy had a really loose chain and it had eaten quite a bit of the guard in that area. not from age, but a big guy riding it around jumping it made it loosen WAY up and slap around.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.