ECU problem????

1 reply to this topic
  • richgiffen

Posted September 10, 2006 - 11:03 PM

I recently purchased a 94 XR650L. IT has this weird problem when I ride of occasionally stalling out randomly while riding or stopping. So naturally, I spent the whole day investigating. My bike is getting spark when cold but not as it warms up. After tracing the lines, etc, and checking for current, I have come to the conclusion that the problem is in the little box next to the battery. (the ECU/CDI????) The bike was stored for years outside and not cared for, so im thinking that the problem lies there. Possibly a shorted out/corroded wire, thats causing it to ground out?? Is it possible? What do you guys think???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Xr650rhonda

Posted September 11, 2006 - 02:24 AM

Rich,

All the "L" guys are out riding so I'm going to put in my two cents in, sense I have owned both. The first thing I think of is it's a bad connection on a safety, the first safety I would look at is the side stand switch ( disable it and move on to the next one if there is still a problem), then maybe a bad connection on the neutral safety switch, well you get the idea. Maybe this first owner parked the bike outside all the time, I would also pull apart the ignition switch and look for corrosion inside the switch.
I have never had a CDI go bad, but I think people have changed them trying to solve a bad connection problem. Let us know what you find, it's always nice to hear the problem is solved.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.