Help: New owner, noise question

7 replies to this topic
  • MN_Paul

Posted September 10, 2006 - 06:59 PM

I recently picked up an used 2005 WR450. Once the bike warms up, it makes a whistling/grinding noise (kinda like a bearing going out). It seems to be in the clutch/transmission area. It quiets down somewhat when the clutch is pulled in. I know these bikes make a lot of mechanical noise, but does anyone else's bike do this?

Thanks,
Paul

• clark4131

Posted September 10, 2006 - 08:02 PM

Drain the oil, pop the clutch cover off, undo the pressure plate and take a look at your plates. If the friction plates look burnt, or the steel plates are blued, time to change things out. It's a very simple operation, nothing to be intimidated by. Changing out the clutch is often a good idea when you buy a used dirt bike anyway since it is such an oft-abused component...SC

• dirtysouth

Posted September 11, 2006 - 04:11 PM

:applause:
Man I have an '05 and it makes a little different noise if I have it in neutral and no clutch. If I pull in the clutch then it goes away but its still there in my mind. You might be like me. When I got the bike I heard every little thing and it was my first Fourskie too. The valves on these thangs make plenty of racket and it used to bug me. But after a while you just sorta figure out that these biaches are strong runnin and they are supposed to make noise. :applause:
If your clutches are engaging good then don't sweat it. Just ride it :thumbsup:

• A-ron

Posted September 11, 2006 - 05:23 PM

:thumbsup:
Man I have an '05 and it makes a little different noise if I have it in neutral and no clutch. If I pull in the clutch then it goes away but its still there in my mind.

Same with me...real faint noise until clutch pulled in. At first I was concerned about it, but I eventually just got over it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • odonnks

Posted September 11, 2006 - 05:49 PM

If its new to you and there is a aluminum skid plate w/o foam drop the plate and try it again.
The day I installed my plate and rode it I thought the engine was coming apart. Once I installed foam the foam all was much quieter.

Honestly, It was so noisy I couldn't believe it.

• Dodjy

Posted September 12, 2006 - 03:56 PM

I've had my 05 since new and it's always made the grinding noise which quietens down when I pull the clutch in. It's worse when the bash plate is on. I think it's normal for these bikes. Probably the thin cases etc.

• Guest_Matt230_*

Posted September 13, 2006 - 04:58 PM

I would take a look at the clutch just to be safe!

• MountainMax

Posted September 14, 2006 - 04:21 PM

Sounds like you don't have a major problem, they are all noisy to a point, but how noisy is yours? and does it go away completely when you pull the clutch in??

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.