Front Brake Upgrades

24 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2006 - 09:59 PM

The newer yamaha m/c, made by Nissin, is what we can talk about now.

Good info RC. You can wash my bike anytime you like. :devil: I'll buy the beer.

• RCannon

Posted October 21, 2006 - 08:00 AM

Well, if your buying.......when should I show up????

I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but Honda brake pads drop right in to our calipers. Anything since 1998. They give a better performance than our yamaha pads. Its a great upgrade for 30 bucks. I have yet to find a better aftermarket pad...or even one as good. The red ebc's were the worst.

The drawback with Honda pads is that they are noisy once they get dirty. The performance improvement is real.

I had some difficulty with aftermarket rotors. I believe they were ebc's. They had a gold coating on them from the manufacturer. This gold coating wore off rapidly and destroyed the brake pads. If you get a new rotor, make sure this does not happen to you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted October 21, 2006 - 12:42 PM

The wave shape offers no advantage in terms of cooling because it does not expose any more material to the cooling air to improve radiation, nor does it do anything to improve conduction to the hub. The purpose is, as I said, to clear foreign material from the brake. The inner and outer edges do this as they pass between the pads.

If you think that the contact area is not important, I think you should try grinding your brake pads to half their current size, and see how well that works.

I agree with you that the wave shape clears dirt out from the brake, but it is also supposed to help with cooling as the outer edge has increased surface area and, as you said before, the rotor is not in contact with the entire pad at one time allowing air to get in and cool the pads. This is all in theory and really does not make much of a difference. If I were to reduce my pads to half the size they would have the same performance because as physics has taught us frictional force does not depend on surface area at all. However, my brakes would wear out much faster due to sheering, which is dependent on surface area.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 21, 2006 - 01:01 PM

Hear is what Braking USA has to say about wave rotors:

Finally, we arrive at our Wave Rotors. We could go on forever trying to convey the real meaning of the concept of the Wave Disk. This somewhat strange disk has been in development for a long time and has finally come to be. The real essence of this brake disk is that the braking has nothing to do with the disk, yet the disk means everything. Confused? Don't be; read on. It is not so much the surface area of the disk which creates better stopping power. It is the efficiency in which it utilizes all the pads surface evenly, the elimination of lightening holes (for added strength) and the ability to expand and contract as it heats up without warping the disk. Simply put, these disks use all pad surfaces for maximum stopping power while remaining perfectly flat. This design is covered with an international license. Our know-how regarding materials and applications of such allow us to produce perfect disks. Long-term tests, first in our labs, then on motorcycles, prepared us for a series of future projects which we will soon be introducing utilizing this wave technology.

Here is what Galfer Brakes has to say:

US Patent 6,386,340.
Galfer’s wave rotors were first introduced to the Motorcycle Industry for Trial bikes and then Snowmobile machines, soon to follow were Sport Bikes and ATV’s as well as Off Road applications. All Galfer Wave rotors are laser cut and made of a unique high carbon 420 stainless steel material that has been pre-heat treated and parallel double disc grounded to assure perfect flatness and the most efficient contact surface between pad and rotor.

• Front Sport bike units are full floating and have an aluminum center carrier.
• Some front Off Road applications are full floating.
• All Wave rotors will improve the lever feel and feed back allowing the rider to get a much stronger and progressive brake then other units would. (Added trailing edge on the brake pad surface)
• Wave rotors are also great for keeping mud off the surface friction plate, allowing for the brake pads durability to be extended in muddy conditions. (Self-cleaning action)
• Most Wave applications are lighter than the original OEM rotors.

• grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2006 - 08:25 PM

If I were to reduce my pads to half the size they would have the same performance because as physics has taught us frictional force does not depend on surface area at all.

This assumes that the applied pressure would remain the same (and it would), and the specific pressure at the pad rises as the area is reduced because the same force is applied to a smaller area. In theory, and most of the time in fact, this holds true. But with many common brake pad compounds, it doesn't stand up because the materials don't behave in a linear fashion in response to increased pressure. Past a certain point, the surface properties change, and the efficiency of the pad falls off. Put simply, they only work so well regardless of how hard you apply them.

This is a problem mostly with automotive pads, where the manufacturers have been forced to eliminate asbestos from their compounds, which has left them in many cases having to decide between longevity and effectiveness.

Except for that, which may not be a problem in motorcycle brakes, you're right.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.