Does the 450 run hotter than the 250F?

8 replies to this topic
  • jsmith811

Posted September 10, 2006 - 05:31 PM

I'm debating between 250 & 450F, I've never owned a 450F, I do mostly trail riding, some track time, & follow the kids some on the trails, never had an issue with the 250F over heating, would a 450 be any more prone to over heating than a 250F Yzf, given the exact same riding conditions??

• almostinvincible119

Posted September 10, 2006 - 05:36 PM

I dont normally let mine sit around idleing, but that is really the only time it should overheat. During break in, I let mine sit for 15 minutes in the middle of July (I live in Florida) it was about 98. So I dont think overheating is an issue with either of the bikes. They are Yamahas, if they boil over, just go ride it.

• jsmith811

Posted September 10, 2006 - 06:59 PM

Ya, I've owned several of the 250F's.. I was just wondering, given the SAME circumstances, if the larger bore would be easier to overheat or get hot quicker than the 250F. I understand neither size bike can sit an idle.. I guess I"m looking for an excuse "not" to get the 450 and stick with the 250F.

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2006 - 07:27 PM

In all the time that my son and I spent trail riding and other tight spots when he was on the 250F, I can't say that one or the other was more prone to boiling.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PK

Posted September 10, 2006 - 10:57 PM

The trails we ride here in Hawaii are so tight, it's literally a first gear jungle and my 450 has never overheated. I have but my bike hasn't...

• BergArabia

Posted September 11, 2006 - 12:07 AM

The trails we ride here in Hawaii are so tight, it's literally a first gear jungle and my 450 has never overheated. I have but my bike hasn't...

I was going to say that sounds really cool but of course that would be wrong.

I have been riding my 450 here in the desert when I was literally existing on Pocari sweat to keep away the cramps from the heat. Like PK, I was overheating but the bike seemed to handle it fine. By comparison, it handled it much better than my husaberg. No puking at all, just keep the bike moving.

• jsmith811

Posted September 11, 2006 - 05:33 AM

In all the time that my son and I spent trail riding and other tight spots when he was on the 250F, I can't say that one or the other was more prone to boiling

That's the info I was looking for... Local dealer has one 06 450 left, No 250F's.. and I'm not wanting to wait on the 07's... So I may get the 450 if I can get the nerve up..

• Daffy Duck

Posted September 11, 2006 - 06:37 AM

That's the info I was looking for... Local dealer has one 06 450 left, No 250F's.. and I'm not wanting to wait on the 07's... So I may get the 450 if I can get the nerve up..

Go for it.. and enjoy... :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2006 - 07:51 AM

If you're thinking that you're ready for a bigger power plant, and you're talking about an '06 YZ450, just do it. There hasn't been a more user-friendly big bike built in 25 years. It's big, and it's fast, and it's a serious race bike, but it's easier to ride than some 250's. You will not regret it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.