Problemmatic Shifting

2 replies to this topic
  • Dodger

Posted December 01, 2001 - 08:45 AM

Have a '01 WR426, and she gets a lot of use here in Colorado. During my most recent trip to Moab, I started experiencing problems with my down shifting. Kind of a weird deal. When I would go to down shift my bike, I would kick down for the shift but it wouldn't change gears until the clutch was let out. A few times I would come to a stop while still in 5th gear, and for each down shift, I would need to let the clutch out most of the way before it would shift down. I had minor issues with my bike not shifting down a little bit this summer, but it's definately not getting better. 2nd to 1st is the worst by far, instead of shifting down to first, a lot of times it just goes into neutral, :) which turns into a big suprise when your trying to pop up a ledge or over a log. So, I'm asking the experts, what causes this kind of problem?? I'm not terribly familiar with this area of the bike. Any help or ideas would be appreciated as usual.

Keep roostin',

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guy

Posted December 01, 2001 - 01:59 PM

NOt absolutely 100% on this but the only time I have had this problem was on a road (street) Bike and then it was a bent selector fork inside the box..if it is this the fork itself is not to expensive it is the labour to remove and split etc... :)

• YZ400Court

Posted December 01, 2001 - 05:22 PM

There are some locating parts for the shift drum. If it is every gear there is probablly a broken spring on the stopper, or something broken in the shift pawl area. Here is a link to the microfiche, check out the transmission section.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.