Quickshot cover vs. BK mod

7 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted September 10, 2006 - 02:16 PM

I know both these mods have probably been covered extensively here at TT but I couldn't find a direct comparison so I'm asking. Maybe they're not even apples for apples so they can't be compared, do they even come close to performing the same task?

I am about to do a little carb maintenance and possibly replace the AP diaphragm in order to cure a stall/bog and thought I might do one of these two mods while I'm at it. I'm a rookie mechanic at best and think the adjusting (not the installing) part of the BK mod might be more than I can handle so therefor the pump cover is definitely more appealing.

• drz400boy

Posted September 13, 2006 - 08:42 AM

I'm at the same point you are with my '02 426...let me know what you come up with and how it worked for you!

• Goosedog

Posted September 13, 2006 - 01:47 PM

Will do :thumbsup:

• YZ426F Rider

Posted September 13, 2006 - 03:12 PM

I have heard that the quickshot does not help very much. Don't know a thing about the BK mod.

What I do know is that once I installed my ZipTy fuel screw and got it dialed in just right (I do it before every ride now) and raised my idle speed a little bit, that my zero to 1/4 throttle bog problem has essentially disappeared. That combined with the hotcams auto-decomp cam has virtually eliminated the problems associated with stalling, i.e., if it does happen to bog-stall (which is rare now) it will generally fire back up under compression as long as I am carrying a little of speed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted September 13, 2006 - 03:30 PM

Do not let the BK/GB Mod intimidate you! It is very easy to do and the results are impressive to say the least. The price is even better. Once you remove the carb, the rest is simple. Just make sure the area is clean prior to starting your work. I just installed the Quickshot and really havent had time to evaluate the change if there was one. I left my carb adjusted as JD recommended when I installed his jetting kit and I had done the BK/GB Mod years ago, so my carb was actually performing very well prior to the quickshot install. Always looking for more.

• Goosedog

Posted September 13, 2006 - 03:41 PM

What I do know is that once I installed my ZipTy fuel screw and got it dialed in just right(I do it before every ride now)

Can you describ this process? Is it by ear? :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2006 - 04:26 PM

Can you describ this process? Is it by ear? :thumbsup:

It's in your manual, or:

http://www.thumperfa.../jetting.htm#PJ

• Goosedog

Posted September 14, 2006 - 04:05 AM

I'm at the same point you are with my '02 426...let me know what you come up with and how it worked for you!

I just scored a new/used/still in the wrapper Quickshot ap cover so I'll try that first, plus it's a no-brainer to install. If it helps the stalling I'll keep in on, if not I'll remove it and try the BK mod instead. I'll post my findings.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

• Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.