XR650R suitable for Dual Sporting?

15 replies to this topic
  • kipanderson

Posted September 10, 2006 - 11:23 AM

Hi,

I have been reading that the competition or semi-competition off road bikes are not suitable for road use not just because of handling and such but because of their gearboxes and engines cannot handle it. Apparently this does apply to the later CRF250/450…does it also apply to the earlier XR650R?

If the oil is changed every 600 miles or so will would I get away with heavy, but relaxed, road use on a XR650X?

Thanks for your help,
All the best,
Kip.

• HawkGT

Posted September 10, 2006 - 02:05 PM

The XR650R has a robust engine and gearbox. I dual-sport mine extensively without issue. In the summer months my XR650R is a (nearly) daily road commuter.

I considered a CRF450X but choose the XR650R (in part) because I felt it was better suited for road-work.

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 10, 2006 - 03:01 PM

As a pure DS machine the L is probably a better platform. But, personally, I purchased my '01 R expressly to make it DS / Super Moto. I live in NE PA and use mine 100% on-road (forgive me, all!). If I lived further west it would be a different tale.

Since I have no offroad dust to deal with and run a good UniFilter and Mobil 1, I push my oil changes to 1000 miles. Even then the oil comes out clear. I installed an oil temp dipstick and make sure my oil temp stays on the sane side of 250.

If you can live with kick-start-only (keep your carb dialed in) the R is imho a sweet, power-wheelie king. Again, personally, if I could snap my fingers and have an e-button added for no cost, I wouldn't. Call me crazy but for me that kick-lever is a big part of the allure of the R.

Ride safe.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 10, 2006 - 04:09 PM

Again, personally, if I could snap my fingers and have an e-button added for no cost, I wouldn't. Call me crazy but for me that kick-lever is a big part of the allure of the R.
Ride safe.

OK, if you insist. :thumbsup:

YOUR CRAZY :applause:

(I have the button on mine and it is sweet. If I really have one of them mental urges to kick start - I can)

• snaggleXR650

Posted September 10, 2006 - 04:14 PM

Most definitely it's DS capable. I've put probably 70% of the miles on my '00 650R on the street and dirt/gravel roads with absolutely no issues other than gobbled up knobbies. A comfy seat helps, and the rear subframe isn't suited to carrying saddle bags and alot of luggage, but other than that the motor/tranny works fine.

You are also correct in assuming that the CRF's, KTM RFS etc... are NOT well suited to DS duty. They CAN be, but don't expect much longevity. I think the Yamaha WR's are somewhat doable, but they are also more fragile than the XRR and XRL.

• DGA

Posted September 10, 2006 - 05:22 PM

Were talking about a bike that was designed to take abuse in the baja 1000. Its meant to run 1000 miles non stop and take all the abuse that comes with it. Frankly most of the weight of the engine comes from it being OVERbuilt. It is built to handle more than you think. The baja pros run this thing at an average of 75-80mph in baja for 1000 miles. The engine and gearbox will handle anything dualsporting it can throw at it. This is the only bike that you can piss on it, kick it down a hill, and jump up and down on it and it will start right up like nothing happened(no I havent pissed on my bike). You will be fine. Just try to break it. I dont know if I would trust a CRF. The only offroad bikes I would consider dual sporting are the XR650R and a CR500R thats just my personal preference. They are both some of the most reliable bikes you can get in my opinion.

Hi,

I have been reading that the competition or semi-competition off road bikes are not suitable for road use not just because of handling and such but because of their gearboxes and engines cannot handle it. Apparently this does apply to the later CRF250/450…does it also apply to the earlier XR650R?

If the oil is changed every 600 miles or so will would I get away with heavy, but relaxed, road use on a XR650X?

Thanks for your help,
All the best,
Kip.

• qadsan

Posted September 10, 2006 - 06:26 PM

…does it also apply to the earlier XR650R?../

Kip, the XR650R is sold as a factory dual sport in other countries inlcuding Australia, parts of Europe, etc. They come fully equipped with a higher output stator, lights & indicators, different gearing, etc.

• snaggleXR650

Posted September 10, 2006 - 06:33 PM

Yes, but KTM's and CRF's and other timebombs are also sold as street legal DS's in other countries. Not to rag on those bikes, they are finely tuned power houses, but to achieve that performance and light weight they have to sacrifice durability for more frequent rebuilds...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kipanderson

Posted September 11, 2006 - 10:04 AM

Hi,

Thanks to all for your comments and input…very helpful stuff.

Wow… I had heard that the XR650X was a tough bike but not this tough :thumbsup: . Great to hear that it can be used as a DS bike as this puts it firmly on the list of possibles. Here in the UK there are not as many DS bikes around as in the US but the XR650X is still available.

Great stuff…

All the best,
Kip.

• Mudshark

Posted September 11, 2006 - 06:28 PM

The only issue I have with it DS'ed is that it's very hard to control your
right hand... this leads to rapid tire wear :thumbsup:

looks kinda natural don't you think? (sorry I just realy like this pic :applause: )

Posted Image

• Ferdinand

Posted September 11, 2006 - 08:39 PM

looks kinda natural don't you think? (sorry I just realy like this pic :applause: )

Posted Image

So do I! :thumbsup:

• Mudshark

Posted September 12, 2006 - 03:38 PM

So do I! :thumbsup:

Thanks, if it could cook... I'd marry it :applause:
.........well..... maybe it would need to do a bit more for me than just cook :applause:

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 12, 2006 - 04:50 PM

Thanks, if it could cook... I'd marry it :thumbsup:
.........well..... maybe it would need to do a bit more for me than just cook :applause:

And the really good news is, she's got several really-hot sisters... :applause:

• ArmPump

Posted September 12, 2006 - 10:08 PM

Were talking about a bike that was designed to take abuse in the baja 1000. Its meant to run 1000 miles non stop and take all the abuse that comes with it. Frankly most of the weight of the engine comes from it being OVERbuilt. It is built to handle more than you think. The baja pros run this thing at an average of 75-80mph in baja for 1000 miles. The engine and gearbox will handle anything dualsporting it can throw at it. This is the only bike that you can piss on it, kick it down a hill, and jump up and down on it and it will start right up like nothing happened(no I havent pissed on my bike). You will be fine. Just try to break it. I dont know if I would trust a CRF. The only offroad bikes I would consider dual sporting are the XR650R and a CR500R thats just my personal preference. They are both some of the most reliable bikes you can get in my opinion.

Hey, is this the Damon Adams guy that rips people oiff with sh1t bike parts as in: http://www.cr500ride...um=1156746292/0

If so, maybe someone needs to piss on you and throw you down a hill.

So did you move to Maine now to avoid the people you hosed catching up to you? I wonder how your momma and daddy, who you live with still, feel about you ripping people off from their house? :applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup:

• Curvesurfer

Posted September 14, 2006 - 01:59 PM

The only downside to DS use is luggage capacity. If you're commuting or doing day rides, no problem. But if you want to set it up for extended rides or camping, the lack of a strong rear subframe severely limits carrying capacity.

The SRC subframe and rear rack seems like a straightforward solution, but riders have experienced repeated failures even with light loads. The rear frame design of the BRP just isn't set up for carrying loads (a result of it's desert-racer pedigree).

• Mudshark

Posted September 14, 2006 - 03:38 PM

Another serious down side... actually two, are:

Tires: seriously, these things eat tires. Unless you are very cautious on the
road and very light with the right hand, you better have a healthy tire budget.
Don't get me wrong, if you run DS tires like the Kings KT-966 or similar you'll get 2000
miles out of a rear tire, but dirt tires seldom see 1000 miles.

Chains: Honda does a real crappy job of "centering" their rear Sprockets on
their hubs, leading to lots of "Chain Slap" and rapid chain wear.... it doesn't
do your sprockets much good either. Expect to need a new chain every 6000
miles. You can run the chain slightly tight to minimize it, but it wreaks havoc
with your CS bearings....
Chains too, are pretty costly, so you'll need a good chain budget as
well..... depending on the mileage you put on monthly.

Then there is the load carrying problem that Curvesurfer mentions. Not too
serious if you trailer it to the far rides.

These things I see as a small Sacrifice to have the best ride out there.
It's when the going gets tough that you'll really be glad your on a XRR.
I rode with folks on GS'es and Katoom "adventure" bikes. the ktms are better
than the GS'es but just when I start enjoying the ride, they need to select
an "alternate route" or a way round things that the R just loves going over / through.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.