Upper & Lower Triple Clamps

17 replies to this topic
  • cadvette

Posted September 10, 2006 - 08:31 AM

I need new triple clamps for my 03 WR450.

My bike was hit by a van while sitting on the trailer and sustained major front end damage(bent f rim,handle bars,upper & lower triple clamps, both forks). I got the insurance settlement now it is time to put it back in shape. I don't want to use the stock Yamaha clamps. What kind of Triple Clamps do you guys recommend and what is out there for the WR line.

• clark4131

Posted September 10, 2006 - 08:42 AM

BRP, Applied, Tag, Pro Circuit, Pro Taper...SC

• Murray Dorward

Posted September 10, 2006 - 09:11 AM

there are many after market parts and all are equally excellant. The are usaully alot thicker and stronger than the stocks. I know for a fact the TAGS have holes for the handelbars so you can move your bars back, stock and forward depending on your needs.

good luck :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:

• Chrome Speedo

Posted September 15, 2006 - 06:54 AM

I have used a lot of different clamps. Tag is good and inexpensive. Personally, I like the Yamaha GYTR stuff and it would be my first choice if it is available.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted September 15, 2006 - 09:04 AM

Before you order any of the aftermarket stuff, check to make sure that there are the bosses to mount all of the wiring and related hardware that is mounted on the top triple clamp of the WR. Zip ties look tacky. :thumbsup:
Jim

• johnnyjeep

Posted September 15, 2006 - 06:26 PM

Before you order any of the aftermarket stuff, check to make sure that there are the bosses to mount all of the wiring and related hardware that is mounted on the top triple clamp of the WR. Zip ties look tacky. :thumbsup:
Jim

Good point and one which is probably overlooked often.

• NavyNuke

Posted September 15, 2006 - 08:36 PM

or, get a moderate drill press, drill the holes for the small bolts, tap them, and use the original parts off your tripples.

should be simple to do with a decent drill press/clamp, drill press can be had for 50 bucks. and just grab the little wire clamp things off your stock parts, they should be reusable.

• 2tall2tall

Posted September 16, 2006 - 02:35 PM

I got a stocker if you want it for $10 + shipping.
I also got a Scotts stabilizer mount for it using 7/8" bars for $40 + shipping.

• 300wby

Posted September 16, 2006 - 03:14 PM

Plenty of good clamps...just make damn sure your frame is still true.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1BLUEsky

Posted September 16, 2006 - 05:16 PM

I use the new Pro Taper adjustable top clamp with the rubber/poly insulator. this is an excellent clamp even price wise.It was listed for a YZ ,so with some gentle bending everything went back where it was originally except the upper side mounting points for the head light plastic. Two black ziptyes aren't that noticable when run through the little scoop vents. The RG3 was my next choice since the pinch bolts face the other way and should keep everything stock.

• Sec1

Posted September 24, 2006 - 04:27 AM

Hey there Guys,

mmm i just brought an 02 426... and it has triple clamps... what do they do? or there advantages....

thanx Mark

• Sec1

Posted September 26, 2006 - 04:19 PM

Anyone????

• johnnyjeep

Posted September 26, 2006 - 04:57 PM

they hold your forks and handlebars to the bike

• Sec1

Posted October 25, 2006 - 10:07 PM

they hold your forks and handlebars to the bike

sure!!!!!!!!!! but what are their advantages to stock ones...

• johnnyjeep

Posted October 27, 2006 - 07:13 AM

I am no expert, but when I asked the salesman at Yam, he said they were stronger than the stock ones. He also said that the average rider wouldnt break the stock ones. Aftermarket 3xclamps can also change the angle the forks set the front wheel on the ground, affecting the way the bike handles. Then you can also get clamps that have rubber mounts for the handlebars, reducing vibrations.

• byggd

Posted October 27, 2006 - 07:45 AM

I have Applied on my 02 and thney work very well. I still have my stock tripples if they will fit the 03.

• Sec1

Posted November 02, 2006 - 05:16 AM

I am no expert, but when I asked the salesman at Yam, he said they were stronger than the stock ones. He also said that the average rider wouldnt break the stock ones. Aftermarket 3xclamps can also change the angle the forks set the front wheel on the ground, affecting the way the bike handles. Then you can also get clamps that have rubber mounts for the handlebars, reducing vibrations.

Thanx for that Mate....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :worthy:

• johnnyjeep

Posted November 02, 2006 - 08:26 PM

you are welcome, dundee.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.