Ok help the rookie

17 replies to this topic
  • Ztard

Posted September 09, 2006 - 03:27 PM

How do I check the idle speed? Owners manual says set it at 1700-1900, how do you all check it. Thanks, be gentle I'm new 2002 426

• The Spanky

Posted September 09, 2006 - 03:29 PM

I use a digital clamp-on tach. It clamps around the plug wire.

• barch88

Posted September 09, 2006 - 07:06 PM

Tachometer. I have a Tach/Hour on my bike, it's made by Yamaha, measures the RPM and reads the hours, awesome investment :thumbsup:!

• aford541

Posted September 09, 2006 - 07:43 PM

Tachometer. I have a Tach/Hour on my bike, it's made by Yamaha, measures the RPM and reads the hours, awesome investment :thumbsup:!

Much cheaper one than Yamaha

• barch88

Posted September 09, 2006 - 07:59 PM

Much cheaper one than Yamaha

I bought the Yamaha just because I needed it right away, and the dealer had it.

• grayracer513

Posted September 09, 2006 - 10:03 PM

I just set mine by ear according to the situation of the day. Not that important that it be exactly right, really.

• Ztard

Posted September 10, 2006 - 05:36 AM

I just set mine by ear according to the situation of the day. Not that important that it be exactly right, really.

Not trying to be overly anal about the rpm setting, but this is my first real track machine and I don't want to blow it up. What's redline? what kind of range do i have to play with here? 2k-7k? higher?

Thanks for the links to the gauges.

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2006 - 07:14 AM

Redline? The engine makes it's peak horsepower around 9000 rpm, and the CDI unit cuts off the spark at 11,500. You can't really over rev the bike except by downshifting too far too early. In neutral, the rev limit is lowered to 6-7000.

Constantly running up against the rev limit isn't the best thing you can do for the engine though, but occasionally bumping it while you learn the bike is OK. The power falls off fairly sharply past 10,800 anyway, so you'll find yourself shifting just because of that.

• Ztard

Posted September 10, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Fair enough Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted September 10, 2006 - 10:01 AM

That is what I was thinking..
Get it so that it sounds like it is idling smoothly.. :thumbsup:

• SureBlue

Posted September 10, 2006 - 11:46 AM

That is what I was thinking..
Get it so that it sounds like it is idling smoothly.. :applause:

Sounds good, Berg :thumbsup:
I keep my idle a bit elevated, bike starts easy and stalls very seldom. :applause:

• kyleyz

Posted September 10, 2006 - 02:23 PM

do any of u guys love the sound of the rev-limiter? i sure do :thumbsup:

• The Spanky

Posted September 10, 2006 - 03:10 PM

Puleease! I already hate the sound of four-stroke flatulance. Add the popping and stuttering of the rev limiter, and they start to sound like Sasquatch with the squirts... :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2006 - 07:34 PM

The sound of an engine being 1000 rpm past any useful power so that it can be slowly and senselessly destroyed? No.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted September 10, 2006 - 09:57 PM

Puleease! I already hate the sound of four-stroke flatulance. Add the popping and stuttering of the rev limiter, and they start to sound like Sasquatch with the squirts... :thumbsup:

I love the sound of the 450 thumpers! The only thing I miss about the ring-ding-ding-dingers is the smell of the exhaust, my personal favorite was the Bel-Ray MC-1...

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2006 - 10:11 PM

Add 1 ounce of Maxima 927 Castor or Castrol R to each gallon of your fuel.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted September 11, 2006 - 05:44 AM

Add 1 ounce of Maxima 927 Castor or Castrol R to each gallon of your fuel.

Seriously? No ill effects?

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2006 - 07:35 AM

None that I know of. Castor has a very distinctive and permeating aroma. It takes very little of it in the chamber to create enough of the smell to be detected. When we ran it in our big British race bikes, all 4-strokes, you could smell it in the exhaust just from the tiny amount getting by the valve guides.

Every now and then when I needed gas in the truck and it was late or I was broke, I'd dump some 40:1 castor premix in the tank. Smelled great, ran fine.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.