HRC and drilled out OEM exhaust. How loud?

10 replies to this topic
  • MindBlower

Posted September 09, 2006 - 12:29 PM

Anyone been through sound checks? I know Michigan is pretty tight. (92db?)

• spotsboss

Posted September 09, 2006 - 01:05 PM

I hope this thread gets some replies. I've been wondering the same thing.

I uncorked her and put on the HRC and the bike runs great, but I'm concerned that the noise will not sit well with the guys who put on Dual Sport rides. The OEM spoiled me - - the valve train sound was louder than the exhaust! :>)

The OEM tip has three tubes - - a 2", a 1 3/8" and a 7/8". If I cut out the 7/8" tube and leave the other two in, I'm pretty sure it will be quiet enough, but will it hurt the bike to run it that way - - uncorking it going in but having the back pressure going out?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Xr650rhonda

Posted September 09, 2006 - 04:23 PM

Anyone been through sound checks? I know Michigan is pretty tight. (92db?)

In Michigan your bike needs to be 94 db's to pass any sound check, the hrc tip is about 97 db's and if you hole saw drill a 1 3/8" hole of the stock tip, I'm told is about 94-95 db's. I'm running a drilled stock tip with the forward baffle still attached, it's quiet to me and if I ever run into a problem I will install a turn down pipe in the 1 3/8" hole, like so many others.

• MindBlower

Posted September 10, 2006 - 01:29 AM

Ok, so the stocker drilled should get you there. Cool.
But how would you install a turn down pipe into the drilled out hole?

• Xr650rhonda

Posted September 10, 2006 - 02:42 AM

Ok, so the stocker drilled should get you there. Cool.
But how would you install a turn down pipe into the drilled out hole?

At this link, someone else has already done the foot work in making his pig quiet on the cheap and has posted pictures of the mod in the files section in this group (you may have to join the group to view). I'm using a stock tip with a 2" hole cut out, but I have the forward baffle still attached, it's a lot quieter then the Hrc tip, but if you want to be safe do the mod from that group.

http://autos.groups....m/group/XR650R/

then go to " Files" , then " Honda Exhaust mods"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old_Man_Time

Posted September 10, 2006 - 04:52 AM

Baja designs makes a turn down baffle that slips inside Honda's HRC tip. It works although you loose a little bit of power for a silent running bike. But I think that is unavoidable.

• Xr650rhonda

Posted September 10, 2006 - 06:17 AM

Baja designs makes a turn down baffle that slips inside Honda's HRC tip. It works although you loose a little bit of power for a silent running bike. But I think that is unavoidable.

The only problem with the Baja Designs baffle is that it does not carry the u.s.f.a stamping that the stock tip does, this would be a problem in Michigan if you wanted to ride C.C.C events and if you where trail side inspected.

• PIP RC51

Posted September 10, 2006 - 11:54 AM

Sorry for thread hyjack:

I just had a call from a dealer that I contacted last week about a 06/07 R and they called. (think they found one) Anyhow....

Who makes the loudest pipe that does not hinder power on the 650R? I ride a RC51 now with Sato's and I am ADDICTED to the big BOOM sound. I want to Supermoto a 650R over the winter and I want to stay with the BOOM.
The louder the better. :thumbsup:
Thanks.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 10, 2006 - 01:48 PM

The only problem with the Baja Designs baffle is that it does not carry the u.s.f.a stamping that the stock tip does, this would be a problem in Michigan if you wanted to ride C.C.C events and if you where trail side inspected.

That is very true but it is not the baffle that needs the u.s.f.s stamping. The HRC tip needs that stamping and it does not have it. We actually had to pull the Baja Designs baffle and show the Ranger the spark arrester built into the HRC Tip before he would leave us alone. Once he saw the mesh screen he said OK and walked away. I don't know why Honda didn't stamp something on the HRC Tip indicating it was spark arrested. That's a mystery to me.

• Xr650rhonda

Posted September 10, 2006 - 03:31 PM

I don't know why Honda didn't stamp something on the HRC Tip indicating it was spark arrested. That's a mystery to me.

Old Man Time I have wondered that myself, I would use mine (Baja baffle) if the Hrc tip was stamped.

• dennisthe

Posted September 10, 2006 - 06:20 PM

I was checked at 98-99 decibels and was told that as long as I kept at a little above idle, I'd be OK for the Run. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.