650L starting to smoke

3 replies to this topic
  • XR 650

Posted September 08, 2006 - 05:02 PM

Any idea what would cause it to smoke after reving it? It doesn't smoke when it's cold, but when its hot & idling, if you rev it hard it will blow blue smoke on deceleration. It's an 03 with 7,000 miles. It doesn't smoke otherwise & runs good.

• snaggleXR650

Posted September 08, 2006 - 08:25 PM

Too rich. When the motor is cold, the air intake is cool. Cool air has more oxygen per volume than warm air. When the motor gets hot, the air intake is heated, with less oxygen to mix with the same amount of fuel. What air filter are you using? A free flowing air filter like a UNI will help IF you are still using the stock filter. Have you rejetted the carb? What exhaust?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR 650

Posted September 09, 2006 - 03:15 AM

03 XR650L
Uni air filter
WB E2 exhaust
55 pilot, 165 dynojet main, fuel mixture 2 1/4 turns
100 feet above sealevel
removed snorkel
14/46 gearing (I think thats the cause of the smoke- running up the interstate)???

I did just clean, oil the filter. It never caused it to smoke in the past & I've ridden it 80 miles since. The bike runs excellent, no more backfiring when cold. Pops once in awhile. Plug is tanish with a white tip. It idles low when cold, and perfect when warm. I've never checked the valve clearances (will Monday).

• goblin127

Posted September 09, 2006 - 05:00 AM

Over filling the motor with oil will do that.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.