Lowering a WR450

9 replies to this topic
  • Lewisclarke

Posted September 08, 2006 - 04:55 PM

Best way to lower my WR is....?

I'd like to get between 1"-2" the best way possible. Do you do any adjustments to the front-end as well?

Thanks,

Dave-

PS: I tried searching, but got nowhere. Any threads where I might find this info?

• clark4131

Posted September 08, 2006 - 05:47 PM

The only definitive solution I've seen in the past year or so is from folks who've sent their suspension components off to some professionals who did it for them. There was something about a lowering link, but I think it may have only been for the 250. Also, there are plenty of threads addressing this via the search engine. Here you go...SC

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted September 08, 2006 - 08:20 PM

I got 1.5" lower using this method.

http://www.fullcircl...om/lowering.htm

Also resprung and valved for weight and skill. Dave rocks!! only bad thing for you is he is in TX. I e-mailed him earlier this week and he is out til MON, but you should give him a call.

• ETP

Posted September 08, 2006 - 09:00 PM

I found a local guy here in Santa Clarita, CA who lowered my suspension for under $400. He took the suspension off the bike too. I decided not to do any other mods like revalving though. Been very happy with the work so far.
His shop is called Straight Line Performance in Canyon Country.

• Asgeir

Posted September 09, 2006 - 11:35 AM

Here is a lowering link to lower the rear :

http://www.mountainm...lower-link.aspx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jackofall

Posted September 10, 2006 - 09:57 AM

I have used that lowering link and I love it. It gave me about 1" lower. Then I shaved the seat and got anouther 1" lower. It handles great and I love it. The seat doesn't feel any worse cuz it already hurt anyway.

• ETP

Posted September 10, 2006 - 01:07 PM

I have used that lowering link and I love it. It gave me about 1" lower. Then I shaved the seat and got anouther 1" lower. It handles great and I love it. The seat doesn't feel any worse cuz it already hurt anyway.

Wow, you are the first I've heard of that really likes the link. When I found out that it softens the suspension and you are not suppose to ride MX with it on I decided not to try it. I don't ride MX, but occasionally I bottom out at high speed on fire roads after hitting a big dip or something.
Do you ever bottom out with it?
The price was kinda hight too for the machined part and bearings. (Around $200)

• Asgeir

Posted September 10, 2006 - 03:38 PM

Wow, you are the first I've heard of that really likes the link. When I found out that it softens the suspension and you are not suppose to ride MX with it on I decided not to try it. I don't ride MX, but occasionally I bottom out at high speed on fire roads after hitting a big dip or something.

Not all ride at the same pace.

When you need confidence riding it is easier by keeping the bike lower.

There is a way to keep the bike low but still maintain the stiffness "Revalve and Springs"

It is also normal to bottom out occasonally, if you do not, the suspension is too stiff, specially the rear.

• yamahoochie

Posted September 10, 2006 - 04:11 PM

Is the front end getting lowered as well? Seems like it would be a slow steering w/o dropping the front. What if any ride sag should the set on the bikes? Are there aftermarket springs for this?

wayne

• Chuck_Nelson

Posted September 11, 2006 - 04:58 PM

I just had Tom Smith at Coppersmith Powersports lower the rear end of my 06 WR450F. He put some shims inside the shock and also changed the valving and it lowered the rear about 1.25 inches. At the same time I moved the fork up to the second mark which is about as low as it can go. I spent last weekend at Hatfield-McCoy in West Virginia and the bike handled great as soon as I got everything dialed in. Best $130 I ever spent.

If you need Tom's number, let me know.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.