Cold weather starting....

11 replies to this topic
  • B-Rock

Posted September 08, 2006 - 02:04 PM

As fall and winter are approaching, and the temperature is falling, I know it will be harder and harder to start my bike in the morning. :applause:

I got a soar leg every morning last October trying to kickstart my beast into submission. :thumbsup:

What do all of you other cold weather riders do to make starting easier? Who's got a killer secret they want to share with me?

And I dont want to hear any of you Cali bastards telling me to move down there...... I would if I could.... trust me. 365 days a year of riding is a dream of mine that has to wait. :applause:

Thanks in advance...

• bg10459

Posted September 08, 2006 - 02:37 PM

You should be re-jetting if your summer temp is more than 30-45 degrees hotter than your winter temp. For cold starts with the choke, you need a richer starter jet; try a 70 or 72. For starts without the choke you need to have your pilot circuit well tuned. I usually use a 48 PJ year round and fine tune with the fuel screw, but switch to a 45 when it gets above 90. You might be 1 turn out on the fuel screw (pilot screw) at warmer temps and 3 turns out at lower temps.

• Audun

Posted September 08, 2006 - 05:44 PM

How cold is cold weather?

I live in Norway, and we got some pretty darn cold winters.. Havent had a problem with eighter of bikes i had before(husaberg and husqy). The husqy even fired after one kick in -30degrees celcius!! But u need to remember the fact that when the airs gets colder u get more air per volume so this means you have to rejet and get more fuel. But I belive a well tuned bike should start anyway.. Its some tricks thats different from bike to bike, but for me it usally works with one or two slow kicks with the chocke on and the ignition off, then turn the chocke off and ign. on and that is usally enough! Try different techniques every day.. and find the way that fits ur bike best.. started with over 20 kicks on the husaberg last winter and got it down to 3 during the winter!

An other trick is to change the oil to something thinner.. I use 25w-50 oil during summer. But for the winter I use 10w-50 or even 5w-50 if its really cold. Ive even seen people tapping the oil from their bikes when they leave them and refill it before riding so the oil is warm and flows easely inside the engine at the moment the bike starts.

At really cold weather the 25w-50 oil is so thick its potensially harmful for the engine. And because it flows so slow it will prevent you to start your beast with ease..

• Tsk350

Posted September 08, 2006 - 07:15 PM

Well on this topic I like to think of my bike and my lady in the same way. Neither one of them like the cold. And I dont want to argue with either one of them because if I end up getting them outside is the cold and upsetting them I lose in the end so thats why I just got a new toy Apex Mountain SE. Let the snow fly!

• MojaveThumper

Posted September 09, 2006 - 04:03 AM

How about this, STAY OUT OF SOCAL!

Been so long since I had to kick over a bike in cold weather. Something like when I was 12. Don't think there was any particular secret, just got keep kickin.

Electric starts ROCK!

• B-Rock

Posted September 10, 2006 - 09:29 PM

Thanks Audun.... thats great info :thumbsup:

I wont ride too long after we get continuous days below -10 C......but I'm paying insurance for the whole year :applause: ... so I try to get as much of my moneys worth as possible.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kepy

Posted September 15, 2006 - 08:46 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=342117 try this

• farkawi

Posted September 15, 2006 - 07:42 PM

Aside from jetting for extreme cold, I like full synthetic oil 10w40 in Amzoil or 10w50 in Silkolene or Motorex along with a stainless filter to ensure oil flow NOW when cold. Even in warm temps I kickstart the bike the first start of the day. A couple of kicks with the ignition off/choke on. Then it fires right up. After warmup, the button starts it just fine for the rest of the day. Yes, it will start with just the button when cold....that's just my drill.

• chrispy1202

Posted September 16, 2006 - 07:48 PM

I have a '03 wr450 and live in Central B.C.; all i do is pull the choke out, give the throttle two shots, and hit the magic button. Starts up great. :thumbsup: Giver a try!
Cheers
Chris.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 17, 2006 - 08:00 AM

Even in warm temps I kickstart the bike the first start of the day. A couple of kicks with the ignition off/choke on. Then it fires right up. After warmup, the button starts it just fine for the rest of the day. Yes, it will start with just the button when cold....that's just my drill.

That's what I do too.. The bike loves to be kicked in the morning. It's my drill too...

Dan

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 17, 2006 - 10:53 AM

And I dont want to hear any of you Cali bastards telling me to move down there...... I would if I could.... trust me. 365 days a year of riding is a dream of mine that has to wait. :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance...

Don't hate !!!!!

Also, we don't ride 365 days a year. Its only about 300. We try to get to the beach at least every other weekend or so, which takes up 52 of the days. The other 13 days are the rainy days, and we stay home because the temps have a tendency to drop below 60 deg F. That is our so called winter.

We will see you when you get here !

• babyspankynhb

Posted September 18, 2006 - 09:30 AM

I live in SoCal and I had to kick the bike for 15 minutes this morning AFTER the battery died... I know I get no sympathy for living in SoCal, but isn't that a little much to get it to start? It was about 65 degrees out w/ full choke on and the damn thing wouldn't go. I finally had to use full choke along with hot start... 5 minutes later and with a bruised foot, I was on my way to work. :lame: :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.