WR450 increased engin vibration at higher RPM's?

7 replies to this topic
  • bcwr450

Posted September 08, 2006 - 12:01 PM

I have recently noticed a lot more vibration on my 04' WR450 at higher RPM's, approx 4000 and above.

Does any one know what may be causing this or what can fix it?

I did replace the plug and my main jet is a 52 at 9000' & 45-70 degrees.

• Alley Cat

Posted September 08, 2006 - 12:12 PM

Anything from thin worn out oil to worn rings can cause this problem.
What oil are you using and how often do you change it?
A 15w50 oil will be a lot smoother than say a 10w40.

• bcwr450

Posted September 08, 2006 - 05:17 PM

I was using 10w30 but I recently changed my oil and put in 15w50, it seemed to be a little smoother but it still seems quite ruff. The oil I drained out (10w30) wasn't to dark, I probably had 650 miles on it. I purchased the bike last Feb and it supposedly had less than 300 miles on it. I have put aprox. 1200 on it sense then. Is there anything else you think it could be?

Thanx for your reply.

• clark4131

Posted September 08, 2006 - 05:43 PM

The oil I drained out (10w30) wasn't to dark, I probably had 650 miles on it.

:thumbsup: :applause: :applause:

650 miles without an oil change! Maybe I'm crazy, but that just makes me pucker up. Think about the equation...1 cylinder, 1.16 liters of oil, RPM's approaching 10K. I'm not trying to belittle you, but I think you may be operating under the assumption that you bought an XR650 or something similar. I change my oil and filter about every 3 rides, somwhere in the neighborhood of 100-125 miles. The manual says after every 5th race/ride or 1000km. I think it's been well documented that interval is fine if you have a factory mechanic on the payroll, but for guys like most of us, it just isn't a good "long run" schedule. At 650 miles, you're already over 1000km. If I were a betting man, I'd say you're likely headed for some serious financial outlay...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tsk350

Posted September 08, 2006 - 07:01 PM

:thumbsup: :applause: :applause:

650 miles without an oil change! Maybe I'm crazy, but that just makes me pucker up. Think about the equation...1 cylinder, 1.16 liters of oil, RPM's approaching 10K. I'm not trying to belittle you, but I think you may be operating under the assumption that you bought an XR650 or something similar. I change my oil and filter about every 3 rides, somwhere in the neighborhood of 100-125 miles. The manual says after every 5th race/ride or 1000km. I think it's been well documented that interval is fine if you have a factory mechanic on the payroll, but for guys like most of us, it just isn't a good "long run" schedule. At 650 miles, you're already over 1000km. If I were a betting man, I'd say you're likely headed for some serious financial outlay...SC

Wow I agree!! I bet if you stick a magnet in the oil you will pull out half your worn rings!! Oil is cheap, even at 6.99 a quart compared to a rebuild! If I were you I would take the head off and inspect the cylinder. Sounds like a good reason for a big bore kit, well thats just me. Hope it works out for the best!!

• bcwr450

Posted September 08, 2006 - 07:26 PM

I looked at the tripometer which hasn't been reset sence I purchesed the bike. I've ridden it 1,034 and I've drained and changed the oil & filter twice. Do you think it whore out my rings?

• clark4131

Posted September 08, 2006 - 08:59 PM

The only way to really tell what's going on is to pull the head. How mechanically inclined are you?...SC

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 08, 2006 - 09:56 PM

Well, we can't feel the vibration over the 'net, so its really a subjective measurement. How bad is the vibration? I've never heard of vibration from worn rings. Usually a vibration starts from a knock, and then its common to have a bearing failure.

Have you recently added a skidplate (dont laugh).

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.