should I get a Rekluse

62 replies to this topic
  • Oouthere

Posted September 22, 2006 - 05:22 PM

We've had the Rekluse on 5 different bikes, it turned my '06 YZ450F from a tight trail monster to a tight trail dream! The perch adjuster is needed on the 450F imo, but I ride both mx and trails. Put her in 3rd gear, hold the clutch lever and snap the throttle to full without letting go of the clutch....what an animal for high speed holeshots! For dunes....I wouldn't.

Rich

• TexN343

Posted September 22, 2006 - 08:06 PM

the rekluse cover is to allow more clearance for the for the clutch assmbly,if not used you must double up on their thick gaskets or find/make a spacer plate. the dry sump that the yamaha uses will not have any more oil capacity due to the cover being larger,the only way to do that is to overfill it. the clutch cable they sell is a little longer than stock as some of the models had issues especially with taller bars :thumbsup:

I'm using the stock cover and had no trouble with the clearance. I reused the clutch plates that they said to use in the install manual. And what your saying is that no oil is in the clutch? I dunno maybe I'm confused. :lame: Ok I pulled this straight from the rekluse website: Rekluse Motorsports Offers Clutch covers for many Models. the colors vary from Blue, Red, and Black. The Clutch covers are deeper then stock allowing a greater volume of oil in the engine. It also allows you to use a stock gasket with the z-Start intead of the provided thicker gaskets.

• BergArabia

Posted September 22, 2006 - 08:41 PM

For dunes....I wouldn't.

Rich

Seems to be a consensus on that.
Thanks guys.. I think you all saved me some cash..

• ncmountainman

Posted September 23, 2006 - 08:35 AM

I'm using the stock cover and had no trouble with the clearance. I reused the clutch plates that they said to use in the install manual. And what your saying is that no oil is in the clutch? I dunno maybe I'm confused. :lame: Ok I pulled this straight from the rekluse website: Rekluse Motorsports Offers Clutch covers for many Models. the colors vary from Blue, Red, and Black. The Clutch covers are deeper then stock allowing a greater volume of oil in the engine. It also allows you to use a stock gasket with the z-Start intead of the provided thicker gaskets.

dude,i hate these trivial a$$ arguments but here goes anyways :thumbsup: if you use the stock cover than no doubt you've also used the 2 supplied gaskets,if you hav'nt used the 2 supplied gaskets you run the risk of the clutch pack not engaging fully as it can possibly contact the cover not allowing full engagement. like grey stated in a dry sump engine you are limited to the tank (frame tube) capacity not the engine capacity. in case you don't realize the motor has very little oil in it during operation (just enough for the oil pick up to work,gathering up what has just been run through the motor and sending it back to the frame ) that pick up is below all the moving parts including the clutch. the idea behind this is to allow the parts to move free instead of fighting the pool of oil that is found in a wet sump. it gains some HP and also has a cooling effect as it goes through the frame. i use the rekluse cover and have had the same one on 2 bikes,its been treated like a red headed step child and has not cracked or warped. they are well worth the money,BUT..... they will NOT add any oil capacity in a dry sump engine, what they do is allow enough clearance so as not to worry about the clearance,and it MAY allow more room around the clutch pack for improved flow. i really believe they should change the wording in the advertisement as the only capacity increase would be that of the minuscule amount of oil that would be caught on the extra surface area as it runs back down to the pick up :p

• PK

Posted September 23, 2006 - 11:20 AM

I can see the confusion over capacity. The only way to increase the actual engine oil capacity would be to make the sump larger since that is where the oil is stored. However the amount of oil in the engine would be increased slightly with a larger clutch cover when the engine is running since it would have to fill the void created by a larger clutch cover. Everyone is right and I want a Rekluse after reading everything, now I have to convince the wife after I just spent a significant amount on a new mountain bike...

• TexN343

Posted September 25, 2006 - 11:34 AM

OK well I knew what I read and the last sentence on your argument seems to agree with what their advertisement said. Even if it is just a "minuscule amount of oil". There is a only a small amount of oil in the clutch anyways so whos to say how much is too little so see room for improvements. I personally would use the gaskets and the cover because more oil is more oil. I used to have coolant spits in low speed sections but after getting aftermarket radiators it was fixed. The rekluse DOES cause more heating that what a normal clutch would.

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2006 - 01:12 PM

Tex,

The only oil that will ever be in the clutch of a YZF during operation is the oil that get pumped to it down the center of the main shaft. This is true of every other lubricated component in the engine. As soon as that oil runs of or out of any lube point in the engine's interior, it runs to the bottom of the crankcase, where it is picked up and returned at more than twice the rate that it was delivered at, so that there is never more than a few tablespoons of oil laying loose in the crankcase, transmission, or clutch area. That will remain true no matter what size the clutch cover is, or what it says in a advertisement for a product that is also used on wet sump engines.

• TexN343

Posted September 25, 2006 - 07:35 PM

I opened up my clutch case today and more than just a few table spoons came out.I didn't drain the oil and lay it on it's side like you do when you install it. For some reason my rekluse was out of spec and found out I'm gonna need a valve job soon...sigh, had to shim once again on the intake valve. I replaced the worn plates with some more of the stock plates. Not to hijack but does anyone know if aftermarket plates hold up longer? I couldn't find the install directions so I don't remember what the different size balls were for. Can anyone tell me? :thumbsup: I recently used 2twocool does anyone think this maybe the reason for the clutch to wear?

• Fastest1

Posted September 25, 2006 - 07:45 PM

If you have different balls they need to be evenly spaced when reinstalled, They are different weights and help engage at lower rpms. The more weight the sooner the balls will travel outwards. If your Rekluse is running hotter than stock I would think your gearing is still too high, it doesnt allow you to lug it with no consequences.

• grayracer513

Posted September 26, 2006 - 07:53 AM

I opened up my clutch case today and more than just a few table spoons came

And how long had it been since the bike had been run?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • westin

Posted September 26, 2006 - 01:19 PM

Rekluse is in the local paper: http://www.idahostat...EWS01/609260387

Posted September 28, 2006 - 06:09 PM

i don't see why you wouldn't want a Rekluse on your bike? i installed one w/o the perch adjuster on my 06 yz450f and cannot imagine life w/o one.

i think people are skeptical about it because it seems to good to be true, but i installed it in my garage in about an hour and a half and that was it. since the install, i've checked the clearances and they're well within spec and it has helped my riding more than i can say.

i'm a very average rider and below average mechanic and i installed it myself, easily and it has tremendously xhanged my riding. besides that, the product support is second to none.

i've been seeing alot of guys out with them even though they try to hide it. look for a BIG clutch gasket on the starting line, or an oversized clutch receiver.

• motobark

Posted September 28, 2006 - 07:56 PM

i don't see why you wouldn't want a Rekluse on your bike? i installed one w/o the perch adjuster on my 06 yz450f and cannot imagine life w/o one.

They're not for everybody, just like there isn't one bike that's perfect for every rider. Riding style and ability makes a big difference on what someone might want in a bike.

I doubt if I would ever put a Rekluse in any of my bikes. (I have ridden a couple bikes with them, one was a twin to the bike I was currently riding so I could compare back to back.) I consider the clutch to be a tool, and I wouldn't want to ride without total control of that tool. I learned long ago what a powerful tool a manual clutch can be if you learn how to use it for more than starting and stopping. (Yes, I know you can still have a lever with a Rekluse, that doesn't mean you have TOTAL control over the clutch action though.)

I'm glad you like yours, just realize that they're not for everybody. I don't like handguards or (the weight of) electric starters either, but for some people they're the greatest things ever invented for dirtbikes.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted September 29, 2006 - 07:28 AM

Rekluse is in the local paper: http://www.idahostat...EWS01/609260387

Great article. Thanks for passing along. Can't wait to get the $$'s to buy one...

• sierra77

Posted October 05, 2006 - 06:02 AM

I've been watching the Rekluse threads for a while & finally pulled the
trigger! I've got a 04' YZF450 & ride alot of trails & some MX. The issue
I had was stalling at really low speeds & the way the YZF hits really hard,
which is great for MX, but can bite you on the trails. I got a GYTR clutch
kit & the perch adjuster w/ the Rekluse. I've only broken the clutch in so
far & it was at the high end of the gap settings when first checked, so I'll
probably have to swap a plate out. But, thanks to Mountainman & Gray &
all the other posts here for all the info! I'll post back after I start riding
again here soon.

Posted October 05, 2006 - 05:57 PM

if you buy one and/or own a Rekluse, they say to use Shell Rotella T 15/40 NON-synthetic. it helps the discs from sticking and keeps the tempurature low, as well as is good for the engine.

i researched the pricing online. as per Shell, my local authorized dealer will sell it for $30.99, the average is $12.99.....Wal-Mart has it for $7.99 , and these are gallon containers.

I usually run Spectro SX which is about $10 per Qt. so this nice.

• LVThumper

Posted October 05, 2006 - 10:01 PM

My $.02 - I race local desert / GP events around LV, as well as trail ride everything from flat dry lake beds with my kids, to the SUPER NASTY (ie fun) stuff out at Nelson Hills. All I can say is my 426 is now a total CHEATER bike!! I love it!! :thumbsdn: There isn't hardly a hill I can't climb and now my 11 year old wants on it whenever we go riding!

Hole shots at the MX tracks, when before I was middle pack before, and not having to restart the beast after a mishap on a trail is great!! The day after mine went in, my riding buddy put one in is '06 450, and we both couldn't be happier! Everyone who has tried it is jealous!!

:devil:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted October 05, 2006 - 11:58 PM

if you buy one and/or own a Rekluse, they say to use Shell Rotella T 15/40 NON-synthetic. it helps the discs from sticking and keeps the tempurature low, as well as is good for the engine.

i researched the pricing online. as per Shell, my local authorized dealer will sell it for $30.99, the average is $12.99.....Wal-Mart has it for $7.99 , and these are gallon containers.

I usually run Spectro SX which is about $10 per Qt. so this nice.

Very good point you make 984. Doing the quick math - This almost makes the payoff on the Oil alone worth it. Can't wait to get one.

• BergArabia

Posted October 06, 2006 - 10:38 AM

Some great feedback on this thread..
Got me thinking again.. :devil:

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted October 06, 2006 - 07:40 PM

i had been on the fence for a while and finally took the plunge. I just finished the install about an hour ago. The test drive was a blast in the dark. Fourth gear roll on was unreal with the tire picking right up. Upshifting at speed is impossible, but it should be great on the trail. :devil:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.