should I get a Rekluse

62 replies to this topic
  • SurvivorMan

Posted September 13, 2006 - 06:21 AM

No, stay away from the lazy auto clutch thing! Your clutch is a weapon.

• moochie

Posted September 13, 2006 - 07:37 AM

I can understand and appreciate your viewpoint on this but could I ask if you've ridden a 450 with a rekluse.

• Gatorbiker

Posted September 13, 2006 - 08:19 AM

Actually that brings another question to mind. For me it is easier to "modulate" my acceleration by modulating the clutch than the throttle, i.e., it is easier for me in rough or slippery sections to smoothly accelerate by keeping the throttle fairly constant and smoothly letting to the clutch go. Could I do that with the Rekluse if I wanted to?

• TexN343

Posted September 13, 2006 - 09:21 AM

With the perch adjuster yes you could do it with the best clutch ever ! It is so easy to pull you would think it wasn't there. Oh btw I get the best 3rd gear starts ever ! Holeshot everytime !!!! The auto clutch is the best mod I have ever done to any bike and that's saying alot since most my bike are competing in the open class.

• TD-3

Posted September 13, 2006 - 09:43 AM

it is easier for me in rough or slippery sections to smoothly accelerate by keeping the throttle fairly constant and smoothly letting to the clutch go

That is how I used to navigate the slow slippery rock invested muddy sections I ride. With the Rekluse, I just point and shoot.......some would call that lazy :applause: :thumbsup:

• youngwerth

Posted September 13, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Couple of thoughts about dunes and the Rekluse clutch...

It's kind of like a Rekluse on a Harley. If your left hand works, do you really need it? Not really. Is it nice not to have to work the clutch in stop and go traffic? You bet. And for a holeshot, most cannot do better with a manual clutch. Now for tight woods and racing, the auto clutch is a significant advantage for most. For sand dunes, it is mostly a convience thing.

Having said that, I do really like it in the dunes. For a quick start out of the hole, most mortals will be consistently significantly faster and smoother out of the hole with an auto clutch. Then there's the clutch-less brake slides (you'll find that you steer more with your rear wheel). And the total convience, just everyday takeoffs. Without the auto clutch, I lift my butt off the seat, let out the clutch as I gas it, and with the rear wheel spinning feather in my butt weight. With the auto clutch, I twist the throttle and go.

I think you'll have more fun in the dunes with an auto clutch. I know I do but keep in mind I have a bias (full disclosure: I own Rekluse).

BTW, I am absolutely jones'n to get out to St Anthony here in Idaho before it gets too cold. Hoping to go the weekend after this coming weekend.

• Gatorbiker

Posted September 13, 2006 - 06:04 PM

With the perch adjuster yes you could do it with the best clutch ever ! It is so easy to pull you would think it wasn't there. Oh btw I get the best 3rd gear starts ever ! Holeshot everytime !!!! The auto clutch is the best mod I have ever done to any bike and that's saying alot since most my bike are competing in the open class.

I know I have been told in this thread that once I will install the Rekluse I would understand the usefulness of the perch adjuster, but I have received contradictory information from people here in Quebec. The persons owns a KTM (so hydraulic clutch = no perch adjuster) and says he still use his clutch. I tought the Perch was only necessary for adjustements at the track without the need to open physically the clutch :thumbsup:

• PK

Posted September 13, 2006 - 09:39 PM

All this talk makes me want to run out and buy one but I have heard one thing about the auto clutch and that is that it causes your bike to run hotter because of the auto clutch. Is this true or am I out to lunch? I haven't heard anybody bring it up so I wouldn't guess it's a concern but we do a lot of tight technical trail riding and the bikes can get pretty warm so I wouldn't want to do anything to increase the heat factor to my bike.

P

• TD-3

Posted September 14, 2006 - 03:16 AM

I have heard one thing about the auto clutch and that is that it causes your bike to run hotter because of the auto clutch

Before I installed mine I had read about the additional heat caused by the Rekluse, but I haven't had any issues. The only thing I do differently is not let it idle in gear very long. When I'm waiting for someone, I either pop it in netrual, or if it's going to be a while :thumbsup:, I shut the bike off.

I thought the Perch was only necessary for adjustements at the track without the need to open physically the clutch

The KTM (hydro) and the Yamaha (cable) clutches are not the same with the rekluse. With the KTM you retain the stock lever/hydro system. With the cable setup you need the perch adjuster to retain the stock lever. The rekluse website has installation instructions that will explain how it all works together.

• Gatorbiker

Posted September 14, 2006 - 04:11 AM

The KTM (hydro) and the Yamaha (cable) clutches are not the same with the rekluse. With the KTM you retain the stock lever/hydro system. With the cable setup you need the perch adjuster to retain the stock lever. The rekluse website has installation instructions that will explain how it all works together.

Thanks for the explanation that makes sense to me :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PK

Posted September 14, 2006 - 05:01 PM

I see on the TT store site the auto clutch is $599.

Do you need the rekluse clutch cover and the clutch cable as well to keep the bar mounted clutch?

• YZ426F Rider

Posted September 15, 2006 - 08:31 AM

For those out there that have the Rekluse...do you miss the engine braking?

• Fastest1

Posted September 15, 2006 - 09:03 AM

For those out there that have the Rekluse...do you miss the engine braking?

You still have engine braking just like stock til it reaches the engagement speed you set. You will lose the ability to bump start and it would freewheel backwards down a hill if it died (It wont die unless you run out of gas!) There is no heat issue, the clamping pressure is more than stock and the slipping is minimized in relation to what you would do with a lever. I have seen very few negative reviews of the Rekluse by anyone who actually owned or rode one. I will tell you at the Cross Country race in OK this weekend, I never had to kick my bike even after falling. Just pick it up and go. It will take some time to get used to it, maybe an hour. It works great on the mx tracks without the perch. How often do you really need the clutch on a 450? You wont be able to beat the cutomer service of Al and his crew either. They should give seminars for other companies! :thumbsup:

• TexN343

Posted September 15, 2006 - 11:54 AM

Thier clutch cover is to increase amount of oil. No idea what the clutch cable is for because the perch adjuster reuses the stock cable (at least I did). The great thing about the perch adjuster is you can adjust it on the fly. You can turn it to engage early and have zero engine braking or you have turn it to have engine braking till Idel speed.

• essex426

Posted September 15, 2006 - 12:13 PM

Totally recommend the rekluse,first off i used a perch ajuster, then when i got used to the clutch, got rid of that and just used the spring ajuster on the engine.
Now got the rear brake on the bars instead.Used a 9.5mm magura clutch master cylinder in the end,with a braided line straight to the rear caliper.

• SurvivorMan

Posted September 15, 2006 - 03:21 PM

I think the rekluse has definately got its place, slippery and technical woods riding I guess. But do you ride that all the time? I ride and race hare scrambles and cross countries and the tight woods always open up to ridges and hillclimbs....what about those slippery side hills??? The rekluse would be terrible for the side hills. If I rode that much slippery technical stuff, I would not buy a yz 450....it's like a cab driver buying a monster truck. I would buy a wr 250 or a ktm 200 xcw for tight technical woods.
My buddy has a rekluse and on the rainy slow technical, slippery rides, he is the one that over heats....sometimes 2 or 3 times before I will. My 450 has so much bottom with a 51 tooth rear that I hardly touch the clutch, I only fan it on technical side hills.

• Gatorbiker

Posted September 16, 2006 - 04:11 AM

If I rode that much slippery technical stuff, I would not buy a yz 450....it's like a cab driver buying a monster truck.

I think having a monster truck in traffic would be great!!!
:thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted September 20, 2006 - 01:26 PM

Thier clutch cover is to increase amount of oil. No idea what the clutch cable is for.

the rekluse cover is to allow more clearance for the for the clutch assmbly,if not used you must double up on their thick gaskets or find/make a spacer plate. the dry sump that the yamaha uses will not have any more oil capacity due to the cover being larger,the only way to do that is to overfill it. the clutch cable they sell is a little longer than stock as some of the models had issues especially with taller bars :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 20, 2006 - 03:03 PM

Thier clutch cover is to increase amount of oil.

Better think that one through a little better. That only works on wet sump systems. YZF's are dry sump engines. Adding depth to the clutch cover until it reaches across the street won't increase the oil capacity of the system.

• ncmountainman

Posted September 22, 2006 - 03:04 PM

:thumbsup: :lame:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.